AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2006, 07:16 AM
Breakout Champion

Future build question...

I am planning on a new build in the near future and i have a couple questions. I was planning on waiting until the new AM2 processors come out so i could take advantage of DDR2, but i have recently been doing some research into the comparisons of DDR2 performance vs. current memory and S939 processors, and what i have found is that the performance advantage is minimal at best....so my question is this.....should i wait until DDR2 performance gets better and more mature, or should i save some money and build a S939 system and overclock the memory as much as possible. Which do you think would be the better option to be future proof for a while, with the likes of Vista coming out, etc.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2006, 12:49 PM

*It has been many moons since I've said this*

Perhaps you should look at Intel this time around, Conroe is looking good.
Old 14th May, 2006, 02:45 PM
Breakout Champion

That sounds like blasphemy but i will look into it. I am really an AMD man at heart since they seem to perform better in games, and i am a HEAVY gamer.
Ubuntu

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2006, 02:54 PM

Currently yes AMD is CPU of choice.

However things change, and refusing to buy the best overall product
simply boils down to a lack of sanity.
Old 14th May, 2006, 03:08 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Currently yes AMD is CPU of choice.

However things change, and refusing to buy the best overall product
simply boils down to a lack of sanity.
I don't think its quite as simple as that you know.

The other important factor is sticking with what you know. If you took Weldzilla, and gave him a brand new NF4 Athlon 64 Dual core, he would have a hard time getting performance / overclocking it, simply because he hasn't had one to use for the last two years.

Similarly, if I was given an Intel machine after using an Athlon 64 with great success for the last year or so, I would not be able to extract the same performance out of it that WZ could.

Experience matters.

Similarly if you gave Dave a 7900GTX, he couldn't do as much with it as he could with an X1900XT, even if the cards were identical (theoretically) in all areas and tests.

For me, my experience with AMD and Nvidia is enough to overcome a 10-15% performance gap.

For a better experience, I still say go with what you know, unless what you know is a complete lemon compared to the competition. You will probably get better performance, and a better experience.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 14th May, 2006, 03:15 PM

Too an extent I can agree with your reasoning and conclusion.

However I look at it like this:

By not choosing a competing product simply becuase I've had years of experience with another leads me to a very narrow category. Yes, I'll admit an individual would be highly regarded in such a specific area (i.e. WZ with Intel and you with Nvidia GPU's) however the whole point of
of being tech "savvy" is to remain open minded, flexible and willing to learn and grow in knowledge with any product coming down the pipe regardless of the company that produced it. I love my 9700 pro, but not the company who made it. I love my 7800GT, not the company that produced it.

It would seem Dave and Pitch have great experience with any GPU regardless of company becuase they have taken the time to sample both sides of the fence. In doing so we could all become that much better...

EDIT: Good morning fellas.... =)

Last edited by tiamat63; 14th May, 2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 14th May, 2006, 03:25 PM
Breakout Champion

Well, i still have only one answer to my question guys....
Ubuntu

Old 14th May, 2006, 03:28 PM

My apologies...
Old 14th May, 2006, 04:19 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Well, I'd say that if you can, hold off until the fall. Looks like the good AM2 boards will be delayed until then, as well as teh better AM2 cores. Best to let fools like me sort out the bios issues first.

But bring in conroe...conroe brings healthy boosts to 3d...and you can diable the second core. What this means is that you havea super-fast gaming cpu...the one front where Intel has lacked a bit.

Conroe has a very small L1 cache...32k instead of the standard 64k that is used now, and a whopping 4mb L2. Once one core is diabled, the remaining core still has access to the full L2. the combination of the 4mb and the 32k makes for some super-fast computing, never mind the extra SSE execution units. I'm looking forward to playing with one very soon.

AM2...well..no real new improvements yet. faster bus speeds(kinda) should allow for more scaling through the cpu speeds, and allow higher clocks, but hardware that can take advantage of such may be a fair distance in the future. When it comes to overclocking AM2 cpu's...well...it's mindnumbing. Then try having a board that doesn't keep any changes that you make in bios...AM2's that i have seen are still in need of some proper support.

In regards to HAVING to buy a new machine, i'd hold off for the up-coming price drops that will happen to 939 single-core cpu's, which should happen in the next 4-6 weeks as AMD starts marching the new marchitechture out the door.