AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th June, 2007, 12:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This thing generated a lot of first timers to the forums. We need more articles like this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2007, 01:50 AM

So I have done all the steps listed above, and everything was going great up until the part where I reload the firmware. The player turned off and restarted as indicated in the above instructions many times, and then the player shut off while the compuer was displaying that "please wait while your player is rebooting," I waited for about 20 minutes and there was no response from my player, so I unplugged the usb and tried to do the whole thing over again. The problem now is that the player does not turn at all even while the power supply is plugged in. If someone enoountered a problem like this before, and knows how to resolve the issue, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 16th June, 2007, 12:13 AM

Right to answer all the problems with the firmware not installing correctly. It's an issue with the MTP drivers and Media Player/mediasource. I never had any problems because I never installed/activated either piece of that crummy software. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is but i'm guessing it's microsofts software struggling with mediasource for who's going to use the player first! Despite the player not having any firmware on it to do anything, hehe.

The solution has been touched upon in previous posts but i'll say it again. You need to uninstall media player 10/11 from your computer and also the creative media source software. Then reboot your computer and run the firmware installer again. It will work and you can then reinstall media player and mediasource again to transfer data across.

Mike it sounds like the firmware has flashed wrong. The only thing i can suggest is to take the hard drive out of the player and format it and put it back in and see if that solves the problem and allows you to boot. Other than that it sounds like you might have a dead motherboard in the player. I don't know much about re-flashing a bad flash on these players as the flashing is done through the firmware and usb (afaik no software exists on the drives as you can turn the players on without a hard drive in it just says hard disk error). If it can't boot then this procedure would not work. If the above doesn't work all i can suggest is trying to find a player 2nd hand that is displaying the disk error message and buy it dead cheap and just replace the hard disk.

Edit: regarding the no software on hard drive i forgot to mention that the firmware installation, installs software to the hard disk but there is still a base operating system on the players that can handle this without a hard drive.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah

Last edited by devilmyarse; 16th June, 2007 at 12:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2007, 06:14 PM

RATS.

Thanks for the tips, I tried to do the things you suggested, but even after reformating the hard drive the player doesn't turn on at all and I can get no response from the computer when it's plugged in.

Looks like it's time for a new MP3 player.

Thanks anyway
Old 4th July, 2007, 12:22 PM

Yeah i guess the hard drive you bought just isn't compatible with the firmware. I know a few people who have used Hitachi drives and had no problems with upgrading. See if you can borrow a Hitachi drive, if it works then you know you can use that particular drive and just go out and buy one and sell the old one on ebay or something.

I used an Hitachi Travelstar, they seem to be the most robust drives for this kind of use.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 4th July, 2007, 01:09 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What is the outcome if you power the thing up without a hard disk in it?
Old 23rd July, 2007, 03:45 AM

I actually was trying to upgrade it with a 60 gb Hitachi Travelstar.

When I plug the player in without a hardrive, it's the same effect- where there is absolutely no response from the player.

I think the player itself might have become corrupted when I tried to install the firmware. It probably didn't help that I unplugged it from the computer when it was trying to complete it. Thanks for your help though!
Old 24th July, 2007, 10:37 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
It probably didn't help that I unplugged it from the computer when it was trying to complete it.
That could have been what killed it

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 1st August, 2007, 11:13 PM

Hard Drive Size Tip

Thanks to DMA for the walkthrough. I followed your instructions and now have the biggest MP3 player imaginable. One tip for everybody else though, it seems that the zen xtra will only recognise the first 128gb of your new drive. I have installed a seagate 160gb drive. Time will tell if the unreported capacity will be usable.
Old 25th August, 2007, 11:09 AM

I too have a 160 gb Samsung HD in mine. it only reports 130 gb. I guess you're right, time will tell whether the extra capacity is usable or not.

Last edited by jayinhk; 25th August, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 25th August, 2007, 11:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This is good stuff guys.
Old 25th October, 2007, 03:42 AM

Question Is It Possible...

Hey all. I've heard of Creative Upgrades before, but never seen a walkthrough for one, so kudos for such a detailed description. I am writing to ask whether or not it is possible to upgrade an (aging!) Creative Zen Nomad in the same way. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what are the results. Also, is there any news on the max useable size of HDD space (people were finding limits @ 130gb, but is this actually a limiting factor, or can the extra 30gb (or more!) be used?
Furthermore, I'd like to know (though it might be a stupid question) what type of HDD the player(s) take (I assume it's the same) PATA or SATA.

Thanks very much in advance

(Just FYI the player belongs to my younger sis. I'm having to heavily mod the case (metalwork experience helps!) so that it fits again/make new parts, however she's abused the poor thing something chronic and the HDD is knackered. She's going to sell it to me @ bargain basement price so that I can do it up, as her BF is buying her a Zune (traitor!) for Christmas, and I love Creative players, and haven't had access to any kind of media player since I had my little 64mb(!!!!) HP one stolen 5 years ago).
Thanks again...now back to my beers
Old 27th October, 2007, 08:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

<bump>

Anyone tried this or know anything about it?
Old 15th November, 2007, 01:18 PM

Yep another newb here. Firstly for those who are experiencing compatability problems the replacement drive needs to be ATA100.

Anyways, I upgraded my Zen Xtra 30gb to 80gb a couple of days ago and went very smoothly. I'm having a problem with a slight glitch in sound here and there which appears, as plays in same place each time, to have happened in transfer. I had problems reinstalling all my music so decided to rip stuff from cd all over again. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop the pops and occasional crackle?
Old 7th December, 2007, 05:05 AM

Creative Zen Touch won't boot

Yet another newbie here. I have a Creative Zen Touch that I'm trying to upgrade. I swapped out the Hitachi 20GB hard drive for a Hitachi 40GB hard drive and now it just goes to Recovery Mode. Just before it gets to the menu, it briefly flashes "Firmware Problem" on the screen, so naturally I tried reloading the firmware. The PC sees the device when it's plugged in--even says it's a Creative Zen Touch--but the firmware update tool says it's not connected. The player has the connected logo on the screen when it is connected as well.

So far I have tried the Media Player rollback from 11 to 10, removing all Creative drivers and USB Root Hubs, and reinstalling, but no change. It detects as an MTP device, but it still doesn't seem to be too happy.

Any ideas? You all seem like a clever bunch. :-)
Old 7th December, 2007, 10:17 AM

Oh dear, if you have a look in the hardware hacking forum you'll see my last post regarding my attempt at a hard drive upgrade I suspect you've fallen foul of the dodgy creative plays for sure firmware. Have a check of the forums on creatives own site and you'll soon discover you're not alone with your problem.

circlefreak at Funender.com Music
Old 8th December, 2007, 10:29 PM

Success!

Ah ha! I finally got it to work. Here's what happened:

So I like said, I tried the Windows Media Player rollback to version 10, but that didn't work. Anyways, I went through a bunch of other stuff, but nothing was happening. Eventually I came back to the Media Player 10 thing, and decided to try it on a computer that had never had Media Player 11 in the first place. This was hard to find, but I eventually found a computer in the office that was behind in its Windows Updates and bingo! It detected the device for what it was, loaded up a new copy of the firmware, and was good to go!

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 18th January, 2008, 05:39 PM

Creative zen xttra Upgrade questions?

Hello,
I just came across this site and see that these post are old. I was thinking about getting a Zune or New Creative but finding this info could be my answer as I really do not care for the newer players with movies FM radios and all the other crap.

I have just about of run out of room on my Creative 40GB Zen Extra and figured I might as well try doing the HD update mentioned here.

Question is what is a good quiet HD to use? I was going to do with the
160GB Hitachi HTS541616J9AT00 but the reviews were not thst good on Newegg.

My other choice would be the 80gb Hatachi HTS541680JAT00 but I see in Newegg that the have a 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm one that both have great reviews. Which would be better? My though would be that the 5400 may be quieter? But in the other hand the 7200 may run better?

Next question is do I HAVE to use the Media Player 10? to install whatever i have too? I just bought a new Dell XPS720 which does not have that installed?

TIA,
John
Old 18th January, 2008, 06:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You might want to consider power consumption too. Generally, 7200 RPM drives take more power than 5400 RPM drives, which take more power than 4200RPM drives. For example, the HTS421280H9AT00 consumes less power than the HTS541680JAT00.
Old 14th February, 2008, 01:27 AM

Can't load more than 60gb to my Zen Xtra

Hi,
I followed the instructions for changing out the old 60gb hard drive and I put in a new Samsung 120gb hard drive. I used my kids old Dell desktop to load the firmware, since it has WinXP and WMP10. Everything was working out great until...
Well I was loading all my music and then something weird started happening. It seems that I can't load anymore than 60gb. I'm using WMP11 on a Vista machine to sync to the Zen. Everything seems to load fine but when I get to 59gb remaining, tracks start saying "no room on device" or "error loading file to device". I went into rescue mode and reformatted the drive and then ran scandisk a couple of times. I even tried reloading the Zen using the extremely slow MediaSource 5 and still I seem to be hitting a 60gb ceiling.
Is there something in the firmware that's telling the syncing software that, "hey, I'm a 60gb device and it does'nt matter how big a drive you put in me"? All the software I'm using states that the drive is 111 to 114gb after formatting. I tried to drag and drop the files directly to the device in "My Computer(just Computer in Vista)" and it gives me an error message that states that I don't have permission to do that.
What gives??? Is there some other syncing software out there that I should use???
I hope someone is still reading this thread.