AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th February, 2008, 03:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

They do still read this thread...It may take a day for someone to get back to you.

Welcome to AOA BTW...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
They do still read this thread...It may take a day for someone to get back to you.

Welcome to AOA BTW...

Please do not bother the swap was done weeks ago and could of not been simpler. I decided to go with a 80gb Hitachi drive from Newegg.

Thanks for the great site on the pricess!
John
Old 16th February, 2008, 12:19 PM

Angry Yet another dead zen xtra

Hey guys,
I was in the process of upgrading the firmware on my 30gb zen xtra and the update stopped and now all I get is the rescue mode screen. I tried installing the latest playforsure firmware and get the 'device not connected' message from the firmware updater. Unfortunately the ONLY other pc I have access to has Vista installed on it. The pc I used to 'try' to install the latest firmware is running xp sp2 and media player 11. Can anyone please give me a bit of advice as to what steps I should try to take to 'fix' my zen?

Thanks in advance,
Wulfie
Old 16th February, 2008, 04:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

This might be related to your problem: Readme for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2008, 04:06 PM

I'm confused, how does this help me fix my zen xtra?
Old 16th February, 2008, 05:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You can't update the firmware. The link indicates if you initially connected your Zen BEFORE installing WMP 11, and then you upgrade the firmware on your Zen, then AFTER the firmware upgrade, WMP 11 may not see the Zen any more. The only way to resolve that is to uninstall WMP 11, upgrade the firmware, and then reinstall WMP 11.

I realize that this isn't exactly what your problem is, but it indicates that the WMP 11 inability to find your device so that you CAN upgrade is related. And in fact, I found some addition info at AnythingButiPod:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingButiPod
To Fix any problems with broken firmware form attempted "playsforsure" firmware updates etc where your pc finds it as a 20mb drive and it sits in recovery mode and does bugger all:
(fix courtesty of cinderlee in creative forums)
  1. Uninstall all creative software & drivers
  2. Uninstall Media Player 11 and Media Player 11 runtime (will require a reboot for each thing). This is done by going to add/remove programs and uninstalling (this will put your pc back to wmp10).
  3. Re-install the Zen Driver from the creative website and reboot
    4, Plug Zen in.
  4. Make sure you have the firmware update ready, run it but don't click the language bit yet), leave the mouse hovering over your language selection.
  5. On the Zen- select "reload OS"
  6. As soon as it flashes up "reload new firmware now via USB" click the language button
  7. Tada, now the pc should find it and allow you to re-load the firmware. (it may take a few attempts)
  8. Once complete, click close and restart the pc. Everything should now be fine.
  9. once you are happy you can re-install WMP11 and it will work fine.
Cheers!
Old 17th February, 2008, 03:30 PM

my problem is that my laptop DOES show my zen, but it shows it as a 20gb hdd when it 'should' show 30gb. I'm 'assuming' that the firmware is TOTALLY messed up. Would it be easier to just remove the hdd, format it on my laptop with a hdd-caddy and then try all over? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wulfie
Old 19th February, 2008, 04:34 PM

bump
Old 21st February, 2008, 04:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Are you sure it is showing as 20 GB and not 20 MB? From what I gather, THAT is the normal failure mode when the firmware gets all jacked up and you have to do all the other stuff mentioned in the links that I posted for you.

BTW, sorry for not responding sooner, I've been swamped with some other stuff and haven't been around for a few days.

Last edited by Gizmo; 21st February, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 20th July, 2008, 03:08 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great advice, I just upgraded my Zen Xtra to 120gb, it was really quite easy!

I used a Samsung 120gb drive, they sell them at most of the computer shops near me for around $55-$75 AUD. Pretty good considering my other option was an 80gb ipod for $300. The drive was a 5400rpm and is a bit noisy (not that you can hear it once the music is playing) - if you can get a slower speed it would probably be better.

A few tips for anyone looking to do this:
1. I had some trouble lifting the hard drive out of the player - the trick was to push a small screw driver through one of the screw holes at the top of the player to push the drive out. Be careful not to damage the drive's circuit board when you do this - shoving some paper in the hole first should do the trick.

2. Like previous posts suggested, I had to uninstall WMP 11. However there was also another program in "add remove programs" called "Windows Media Player 11 components" or something like that, which I also had to uninstall before my player would connect - look out for that.

3. After I installed the latest firmware, I reinstalled WMP 11, which you can use to sync with your player. This worked much better than Creative MediaSource, and was also better than dragging files through Windows Explorer (which I found would put tracks in the wrong order on the player).
Old 7th October, 2008, 05:56 AM

You guys should be aware of the file limits with the Xtras. I use 1.21.08 firmware (I think) and there is a limit of 8000 files. I think the later versions have a limit of around 15,000 tracks, but the later versions also have SQ problems.
Old 20th April, 2011, 01:19 PM

...still someone doing this in 2011

I upgraded my 40 GB Zen Xtra with a 100 GB Fujitsu hard disk, I didn't need creative drivers, but I can confirm that Firmware flash is possible ONLY with Windows Media Player 10. I downgraded WMP 11 on my Windows XP SP2 install, it left me with a WMP 9 install, and there was no way to see the player, even installing creative drivers. I had to download WMP 10 from Microsoft web site, and install it, and then I could flash the device. But it should be noticed that I already flashed the MTP firmware previously.