AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2006, 08:58 PM

ODD Question! Getting data off casette tapes.

I have a bunch of old casette tapes with information on, but i'll be damned if i know how you are meant to read data off them, tried them in a tape player and that didn't work unsuprisingly . I know we are talking ye olde technology here, but is it possible to get the data off them and onto a pc? or are they just too old to be compatible.

Thanks,

Mord.
Old 17th May, 2006, 09:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you play them back in the cassette player, do you get something that sounds like modem tones, or do you just get a bunch of white noise?

I'm guessing that the tapes are from a very old machine, like an original 8086 PC or something like that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2006, 09:20 PM

to my untrained ear it sounds like a mix of both whitenoise and modualted tones. but yeah, its from my dad's attic so its going to be old old technology. but he tells me he deffiantly used them on a pc.
Old 17th May, 2006, 09:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I don't know of any way to read them into a modern PC, as I don't think the bios even supports cassette boot any more. Even if the bios did, modern PCs don't have the cassette interface port on them any more, and you'd still have to come up with a cable to hook it up.

In short, I don't know of any way to recover the data on those tapes that doesn't involve spending lots of money.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2006, 10:42 PM
AOA Staff

Chances are the signal would have deteriorated by now.
Old 18th May, 2006, 02:00 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

You might be able to pick up an old Trash 80 with a cassette back up and use them!?!?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 18th May, 2006, 11:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Can you make a WAV file of, say, 15 seconds of playback time? Depending on the technology, it might well be possible to retreive the information still. I don't know if you'd really want to though!
Old 18th May, 2006, 05:57 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Mord!

Zo, your fahser was a secret agent and you wish to keep za family tradition alife? Destroy the tapes before it too late ist!