AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th May, 2006, 10:45 AM

Booting from SCSI using data copied from IDE system drive

Hello, I would like some help if possible, with a predicament I have been faced with. I recently got myself a 160GB IDE HDD to replace a pair of smaller SCSI drives I have been using, a 36GB ULTRASTAR 10,000RPM HDD and a 8.9GB Seagate HDD. I donated these parts along with an Adaptec SCSI controller to my parents, as their PC was handicapped with a slow and small 10GB. To save complications I used a Western Digital program that accompanied my new drive to copy the entire contents of the old system drive to the ULTRASTAR, as I had done with my own PC (which works flawlessly adn saved the trouble of reinstalling Windows etc).

This is where the problem occurs. While I can run Windows without a hitch from the the SCSI drive, when I unplug the old HDD the computer won't start. When plugged back in, it boots normally and gives two options for which windows to boot (IDE windows, SCSI windows). I assume this problem is to do with the SCSI drive lacking the correct boot drivers or software. How would I go about obtaining/installing these? I have setup the mobo to boot from SCSI. Is a fresh install of Windows on the SCSI device the only option? As this is what I wanted to avoid in the first place. As usual, all and any help will be much appreciated.

[Edit]If it helps, the SCSI drive model number is IC35L036UWD210, an IBM Hitachi Ultrastar 73LZX.

Last edited by Electric Wizard; 18th May, 2006 at 10:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2006, 11:22 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Look for the boot.ini file on both drives and compare them, post their contents up here, might be the way forward, its probably looking for the wrong place/partition. Thats what id try first anyway.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2006, 11:56 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It is possible to do, but it is problematic. Microsoft has some articles about it, but basically conceed that it's generally a Bad Thing to try to do. Their recommendation is that if you use SCSI, you stick with SCSI.

At the minimum, you'll need to have the correct drivers installed on the system. When you come to boot from the IDE disk, I'd recommend removing the SCSI card from the system.

I don't know how complete the WD utility is for copying from one disk to another however.
Old 18th May, 2006, 12:04 PM

The old system (IDE) drive doesn't show any results when I search for a boot.ini file. What does that mean? The new system drive (SCSI) comes up with the following files after the search:

defltwk
dwup
(in C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$)

defltwk
dwup
(in C:\WINDOWS\inf)

secsetup in C:\WINDOWS\repair

secsetupsecurity in C:\WINDOWS\security/templates

defltp
dpup
(in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386)

Are any of these what I'm looking for?

[Edit]Áedán, the program seems quite thorough as on my PC I have managed to transfer my Windows drive from one device to another using it,a lthough that was from SCSI to IDE. And the copy of Windows on the SCSI drive works, but it doesn't boot. I seem to remember the program pointed out some 8 files weren't able to be copied over from one drive to the other, but these were non-essential ones related to the recycle bin, and the program actually featured a message that pointed out Windows would recrate these itself.

Last edited by Electric Wizard; 18th May, 2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 18th May, 2006, 12:09 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

no, if you go to the root of the drive (c: for example) and allow viewing hidden files there should be a file called boot.ini

AOA Team fah
Old 18th May, 2006, 12:37 PM

The only files in the root of the drive are called ffastun and ffastun0, .ffa .ffx .ffl .ffo file extensions. Is that a bad thing?
Old 18th May, 2006, 01:03 PM

err, pass. it should be where you have the windows folders etc.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th May, 2006, 01:12 PM

I can honestly find no such file in the root of either drive, nor anywhere on them. Oh dear.
Old 18th May, 2006, 01:36 PM

Mine for example...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitledr.bmp (1.50 MB, 137 views)

AOA Team fah
Old 18th May, 2006, 02:05 PM

Have you set the machine not to hide folders/files from view at all?
Old 18th May, 2006, 05:12 PM

I have indeed. Thinking about it that file isn't present on my own computer either. I haven't clue why it isn't there.
Old 18th May, 2006, 07:47 PM

The NT/2K/XP boot loader won't work if there's no boot.ini present. I'm presuming you're using one of that line!
Old 19th May, 2006, 07:14 AM

Windows XP Home edition, yes. Let's say that I do decide just to install Wndows from scratch onto the SCSI, how would I make the SCSI bootable? I've been told to use a floppy disk with drivers, but where can I get them? From the motherboard manufacturer?
Old 19th May, 2006, 09:53 AM

Does Windows XP come with drivers for your SCSI card? If so, there shouldn't be any problems with the disk being bootable.

Just a thought here. Normally IDE drives appear "first" in the list of possibilities to boot from. If you had an IDE drive in the system at the same time as the SCSI disks, the bootloader would be written to the IDE drive.