AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th May, 2006, 12:18 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Lightbulb When/If to Upgrade

currently i have a 2600M at stock and a 6600GT @ stock agp version on a NF7-S board. i have had it to 2,5ghz and can do so again if needed. everything else i have i should be able to carry over, except for maybe the ram.

my question is: Is it going to be worthwhile to upgrade in the next few months to something close to top of the line?

OR

Will OC'ing my cpu and Gfx give me enough of an edge to hold out for maybe another year and a half or so?
Old 18th May, 2006, 12:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I'm still running a 2500-M and a 6800 vanilla. Both OC'd quite a bit...I know I will be at least a year before I upgrade and I don't have a problem withit a all. I have no issues with anything I run....What do you use your machine for primaraly...???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2006, 01:02 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
currently i have a 2600M at stock and a 6600GT @ stock agp version on a NF7-S board. i have had it to 2,5ghz and can do so again if needed. everything else i have i should be able to carry over, except for maybe the ram.

my question is: Is it going to be worthwhile to upgrade in the next few months to something close to top of the line?

OR

Will OC'ing my cpu and Gfx give me enough of an edge to hold out for maybe another year and a half or so?
It depends on what you aim to hold out for.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2006, 01:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

computer is used for gaming mostly, running f@h as well.
i might be using it for something else depending on whats around the corner for me at the university.

honestly all this new dual stuff is confusing me, i dont know what to make of it so thats why i ask here.
Old 18th May, 2006, 05:18 PM

It depends what you're looking for. If you don't mind running newer games with low settings then you should be fine with an overclock. Having said that, I have a AthlonXP 3200+ at stock speeds, a 6800GT@420MHz/1120MHz core/mem and 1GB 400MHz RAM and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter chugs pretty heavily at times, even with extremely low settings. I realise that's mainly because of HDR, but it is becoming a common feature. As I say, if you don't mind running at low settings with some choppiness then your PC will be fine with an OC for the time being IMO.