AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd May, 2006, 05:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Chipset Power Consumption

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/790/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd May, 2006, 05:42 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I highly agree with that posting...using the same cooler on the NF4 and the RD480 as well as the RD580, actual temps get progressively lower, in the order listed.

nVidia made the move to a open-die package a while ago, and the addition of features since then has naturally increased package size and power consumption, while ATI made the same package move just recently with the RX5XX platform. ATI's chipset seems slightly smaller in size too, lending more weight to this argument.
Old 23rd May, 2006, 07:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Are there options available for avoiding the eventual melt down?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd May, 2006, 08:16 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I don't see it as being a "meltdown", per se, but it could, in turn, affect overall clockspeeds of these chips. To the average user, this is no big deal, but it might dissappoint a few hundred thousand overclockers that buy cheap cpu's, and rely on the motherboard to extract the performance they desire.

The newest chipsets, from any company, still run relatively cool...active cooling tends to lay in the 40-70c range, dpendant on chipset, while passive cooling tends to get much hotter. Be this as it may, these chips are still well within thier thermal envelopes.

However, add a top-end videocard that has it's power regulation circuitry right above one of these chipsets, and those temps can rise dramatically...active cooling barely does the job, and passively cooled chipsets are no longer stable(ones with heatpipes are excluded from this mix, and tend to fare as well as an actively cooled chipset).

So, with this in mind, and thinking of bigger chipsets, and the increasing difficulty in cooling a larger chipset, it can be a bit forboding for those that tend to think this way.

Last edited by cadaveca; 23rd May, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 23rd May, 2006, 08:48 PM

My 2
I think that it really will be overcome, look at the old P3. They used 2volts at stock never mind w/OC. It will be fixed, ATI is doing better now buit that can easily change.
About the VID card things my 7800GTX blocks my NF4 chipset, it runs hot but never goes over 40-50C the fan on it's amazing. One thing though is since I watercooloed my GTX without the GPU fan it runs about 40-60C
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 23rd May, 2006, 08:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks for the info! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd May, 2006, 08:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

It appears that water cooling will truly benifit these chipsets. This would atleast keep the heat of your card...
Old 23rd May, 2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
It appears that water cooling will truly benifit these chipsets. This would atleast keep the heat of your card...
thats what it would seem, but when you don't have the huge CPU fan o r even the small GPU fan you chipset gets hotter, especialy if the end of your GPU is over your chipset.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."