AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th March, 2002, 02:59 AM

Thumbs up Using my monitor as a TV for an N64

Hi, could someone tell me what cables I should buy to use my monitor as a TV for my N64? If I need a TV tuner please tell me what to avoid and what not to advoid.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th March, 2002, 05:49 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

A basic video card with built in VIVO would technically work. You may not be able to go full screen tho. I have an old ATI VIVO card, and I could get the 'composite in' to show video even when I wasn't recording. But I never tried to go full screen with it.

Even if you get full screen, you will only get the resolution of about 200 lines (320x240 i think).. ie, it would look like crap.
Old 12th March, 2002, 01:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

just buy a VGA box @ www.lik-sang.com
Old 12th March, 2002, 08:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Anything with composit in should work for ya. It ran full screen fine on my system and looked alot sharper than on a regular tv.
Old 12th March, 2002, 12:32 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Do you guys seriously not have any way of getting an RGB signal into a TV? I mean, like, here in Europe we have a SCART connector that handles Composite, SVideo and RGB as well as widescreen switching and L+R audio.

I'd much rather use RGB on my TV than composite through a TV card on my monitor! The picture is much sharper on my TV using RGB than using SVideo or Composite.

Like CaesaR suggests, do a search on liksang for "VGA Box N64", and you'll find something that should do the job. Apparently it has pass through for your PC as well.

AidanII
Old 12th March, 2002, 01:47 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

RGB sounds like what we call Component video... 3 separate cables for RedGreenBlue, right?

Only high end TVs, and recently most DVD players use them.. I agree about the picture (I helped a buddy buy and connect his home entertainment system), but it is not commonplace just yet. Also, those dang cables cost like $50!

Video In is what I meant, but my only experience is with my wife's which is Video In / Video Out (VIVO).
Old 12th March, 2002, 02:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
RGB sounds like what we call Component video... 3 separate cables for RedGreenBlue, right?

Only high end TVs, and recently most DVD players use them.. I agree about the picture (I helped a buddy buy and connect his home entertainment system), but it is not commonplace just yet. Also, those dang cables cost like $50!
Wierd! Even mid range TVs here (and a few low range) support RGB, but we use a connector called SCART (Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs), which has 21 pins. The same connector handles the seperate RGB, the two SVideo lines, the Composite line, Sync signals, stereo audio, and a signal line for data.

The data's typically used for EasyLink, which allow the Video and TV to communicate presets, timer recording and other stuff.

AidanII
Old 12th March, 2002, 03:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Wierd! Even mid range TVs here (and a few low range) support RGB, but we use a connector called SCART (Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs), which has 21 pins. The same connector handles the seperate RGB, the two SVideo lines, the Composite line, Sync signals, stereo audio, and a signal line for data.

The data's typically used for EasyLink, which allow the Video and TV to communicate presets, timer recording and other stuff.

AidanII
Shh!! In the USA, no one is supposed to know this, but the mfgrs have decided they know what consumers want, whether we like it or not.... They are continuing to push the old crap, I guess 'cause it's cheaper to mass produce... and the "good stuff" they overcharge like crazy.. And if that doesn't work, they'll act like the entertainment industry.... Nevermind, they already have, IN 2005-2006 (?) Analog TV is going away by law, to be replaced by digital reception only. Selling point today is, buy digital now for like $2000, cause the analog $200 set will be useless in a few years. (They neglect to mention that when the digital sets are actually required, the volume built, plus the improvements to come in technology means better and cheaper in a few years... much more savings than $200!)

You see, consumers here are just too damn ignorant to understand all that technology lingo you're throwing around... duh!
Old 12th March, 2002, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Yeah, only our high mid end and high end stuff has RGB. I know the only tv i have in this house with RGB is my new 57" widescreen HDTV.