AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th May, 2006, 12:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Question Seagate 200G drive ugly clicking when idle!

Drive(s) in question - Seagate PATA 200G ST3200822A ones.
Number of them - There.
Description of problem - in folding machines, they are mostly idle. Yet each about 45sec or something a self check (or something like this INTO the drive, no IDE activity shown) is started. This generate click noise and such sounds like HDD activity and it is extremely annoying. I did not want to hear these clicks. Otherwise I'm happy with the drives, but I just want this to STOP. Either stop, or return the drive any get another brand that won't click when idle. VERY annoying. Is there a way to make this STOP forever, or one just should not buy any Seagate drivers?
Anyone?
Affected machines - Any. It simply did not matter on what machine they run, it is always the same. Noise, clicks, noise, clicks...

Thanks for letting me know. I just got there these ST3200822A drives, so I either found a solution or return them - Maxtor's did not do such noise, maybe I should just not went to Seagate... Or is there a new firmware or utility available to STOP THIS...?
Old 30th May, 2006, 01:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm not finding anything about a firmware update to resolve the issue, but there are numerous reports across the web about the problem. You aren't the only one noticing it. As near as I can tell from the posts I've seen, it is some kind of hardware diagnostic that it runs periodically.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2006, 06:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Talking

I over heard it is called self check and the drive does it when iddle to "prevent diagnostic to prevent future failures". IMHO this is BS to say it politely. From my experience - what moves - fail. Sooner or later. So, moving more means increased chance of failure. For the very same reasons the drivers used as winblows swap ones fail much more often that these who aren't used that way.
In my folding machine I got a 1G of ram and therefore (also extremly optimized XP, cut down to 575MB of size and less that 50MB o ram usage) I disabled the swap file on all my folding machines. 9 of them, so to say. This probably only increased my problems, however there is nothing to swap, acctually, so, enabling swapping will not work as solution for sure. Other users with the very same problem already use swap files and still have problems...
I contacted Seagate, asking them about new / different firmware, so we see what they come up with. I hoped that there could be a utility like the one for setting up the AAM that could disable this "feature", but ... who knows.
Other than that - if we managed to get more users unhappy with the situation, we might be able to push them up for a firmware update that include the possibility to DISABLE THIS.
Science Fiction?
I would say it is just about the number of people who contact them.

PS. I already get suggested to use SysTool http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/ to disable the AAM :lol: Of course, the drives have NO AAM to set or disable
Well, at least ppl's is trying to help.

http://www.slibe.com/fullimage/fd4d4...l_fail_to_.gif

Another sugestion is, that this crap is called:
Quote:
STIR (Seek To Improve Reliability) where the drive does random seeking to avoid the head sitting on the same place on the disk, which they reckon could heat up that particular track on the platter.
Well, no matter what this is called, I would like to KILL IT WITH FIRE!
Old 1st June, 2006, 09:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

STIR is a Seagate feature that does do random seeks when idle to move the head into a different location. It's been around for a while, but has primarily been used on their SCSI drives over the last nine years to help improve the reliability of the drives.
Old 7th June, 2006, 05:54 PM

Red face

I swear I never heard of it, and mainly I don't like it at all. Not much drives using that crap (none I knew so far, except now I got there that does it...) and they are still reliable.
IMHO what more move - die sooner. No point of "preventing heating the track", since the material of the platters got enought temperature conductivity, so...

Anyway, I wonder if the never firmware (it is firmware?!) 3.01.075 does this STIR still?

http://files.hddguru.com/index.php?&...acuda%207200.7

ST3200822A-3.01.075.zip
(mine is 3.01)

Anyone know?

Or maybe - as there is hint in folloving Seagate reply, there is a 3rd party app that can disable it?

Quote:
We do not have any firmware updates available for any PATA hard drives, and we do not support using 3rd party applications to change the way the hard drive works. The STIR and offline-scan features are designed to extend the life of the hard drive and maintain data integrity. They cannot be disabled.