AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.91 average.
Old 2nd June, 2006, 07:26 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Did I miss this AMD news?

Sorry if I'm a day late and a dollar short on this. AMD will be making BOTH form factors of many new processors ie, AMD2 and Socket 939's. This obsoletes Socket 939 MUCH later. Have a look:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32014
Old 2nd June, 2006, 07:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Should help stretch a few budgets!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2006, 08:18 PM

Interesting that the link that I followed to AMD's site has a table that doesn't match the one shown on the Inquirer. The tables clearly say that 5000+ and FX-62 are Socket AM2 only.

Wishful thinking and doctoring of images methinks.
Old 2nd June, 2006, 08:21 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

http://theinq.com/?article=32063

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2006, 08:51 PM
AOA Staff

In other news today, Ferrari have launched a solar powered F1 car.
Old 2nd June, 2006, 08:55 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Cloasters, check pitch's link.

AMD made a "clerical" error. The new high end cpus will only be available in AM2 form.
Old 3rd June, 2006, 07:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorta like a Goverment tax break hey! Just what you needed until you try and spend it! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd June, 2006, 08:49 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Is my face red? Perhaps a bit pink, so sorry to let AMD mislead me and all of you chaps as well. I'd never pay more than ~$400 for a CPU, guess I lucked out in the AMD2/S939 zone.

After this insult I'm leaning toward the more bango per bucko Conroe if it's ever available to plebes. Bad juju to lie on this scale, AMD.
Old 5th June, 2006, 09:41 AM
AOA Staff

The new AM2 socket is budget and performance.

Don't know the exact US prices, but CPU's will start around the $100 mark on AM2.
Old 5th June, 2006, 04:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
The new AM2 socket is budget and performance.

Don't know the exact US prices, but CPU's will start around the $100 mark on AM2.
I think all single cores on AM2 will be semprons with the lower pricing. Dual cores will keep the Athlon64 name and start much higher.

AMD is reaching way too high. They successfully convinced people that semprons were better than the old AXP tbred B's, and the market actually paid double the price for the same chip.

They are trying again, and this time around, Intel will have something to pin up against it.

At the end of the day, AMD will have to drop prices. The question is will AMD do it sooner, or refuse to budge until they have major problems.

Most people may be willing to spend $100-$200 on a CPU. Rather than exploiting this, AMD appears to be trying to nudge the mainstream higher. Normally this is behavior reserved for monopolies, but Hector's arrogance is legendary..... successfully taking Motorola from world class tech firm to near bankrupcy before taking the helm of AMD.
Old 5th June, 2006, 04:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Normally this is behavior reserved for monopolies, but Hector's arrogance is legendary..... successfully taking Motorola from world class tech firm to near bankrupcy before taking the helm of AMD.
He's been doing a pretty good job so far with AMD, but you're right; he has a habit of getting greedy and pricing himself right out of the market.
Old 5th June, 2006, 05:56 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
He's been doing a pretty good job so far with AMD, but you're right; he has a habit of getting greedy and pricing himself right out of the market.
Unfortunately, I agree... Strategically, he has improved AMD's position, to a large degree by alienating enthusiasts. However, he defies basic economic principle and assumes that he is a price setter, not a price taker. This works only in the short term, and I think his short term is almost up. If my assessment of him is correct, AMD will refuse to tangibly budge from their current pricing plan (less standard price drops), and by the time the dust settles, AMD will have tremendous inventory, and huge financial troubles... The longer the wait the worse the consequences will be.
Old 7th June, 2006, 12:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I doubt that he cares. 5 years and a Golden parachute out....on to the next victu....Company...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur