AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th June, 2006, 11:33 AM

Shaking CRT screen image

Hey,

A question for the CRT gurus out here (Giz? )

A friend of mine has a Compaq 21" CRT screen. It has always worked without a hitch but now there seems to be a problem, which only occurs sometimes. It happens when he plays Guild Wars after a few hours of play. The screen starts shaking terribly. He can watch a movie of 3 hours without any problems but after a long time of gaming it happens. At first the graphics card was suspected but when he turns off the computer after the shaking started the little image that tells you "no signal input" still shakes. So it's probably the screen itself although I can't tell for certain.

The CRT monitor is still able to do all the resolutions and frequencies that it supports, image quality is still the same except for the shaking.
His gaming resolution is 1280x1024x32 @ 85hz. The graphics card is a Geforce 6600GT.
The back of the monitor seems awfully hot, could heat or dust be causing this?

Thanks!
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2006, 11:42 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I had this with my current Belinea. I just open the monitor and some of the transistors we're so hot that they became a little loose, I just solder them again and voila.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2006, 03:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Hey,

A question for the CRT gurus out here (Giz? )

A friend of mine has a Compaq 21" CRT screen. It has always worked without a hitch but now there seems to be a problem, which only occurs sometimes. It happens when he plays Guild Wars after a few hours of play. The screen starts shaking terribly. He can watch a movie of 3 hours without any problems but after a long time of gaming it happens. At first the graphics card was suspected but when he turns off the computer after the shaking started the little image that tells you "no signal input" still shakes. So it's probably the screen itself although I can't tell for certain.

The CRT monitor is still able to do all the resolutions and frequencies that it supports, image quality is still the same except for the shaking.
His gaming resolution is 1280x1024x32 @ 85hz. The graphics card is a Geforce 6600GT.
The back of the monitor seems awfully hot, could heat or dust be causing this?

Thanks!

Define 'shaking'. Is it a random movement of the image to the left and right, or up and down? Or is it very regular and periodic? Does the image appear to change size? Does the brightness of the screen have any effect on the severity of the shaking? What's the normal video resolution that he runs at (non-gaming)?
Old 6th June, 2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Define 'shaking'. Is it a random movement of the image to the left and right, or up and down? Or is it very regular and periodic? Does the image appear to change size? Does the brightness of the screen have any effect on the severity of the shaking? What's the normal video resolution that he runs at (non-gaming)?
Changing resolution doesn't do anything. Changing frequency has helped, but only once.

The game is not played full screen but the shaking is full screen. The resolution of both the desktop and the game are 1280x1024x32 @85hz.

I haven't seen it myself and the bloke hasn't tested the brightness thingy. He probably will now that you mention it

It really looks like it's a portable phone type of shaking when you hold it near the screen. No colour changes either and the size doesn't change.

The shaking is left to right and naturally vice versa as well. The shaking doesn't appear to be random. It suddenly happens and may get worse over time. No blurness. The shaking is rather high frequency but it doesn't shift that much distance.

Thanks for the diagnose questions Giz

Chris, the dude isn't very handy with soldering iron so that won't be as easy as it was for you
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 6th June, 2006, 10:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hmm...........I'm not convinced that it is heat related, or even necessarily game related.

Is there anything he moves near the monitor when he plays a game? Particularly a fan, powered speakers, or anything of that nature?
Old 6th June, 2006, 11:05 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

playing with refreshrates should sort those sort of issues. That's a rather high refreshrate for a CRT @ that resolution, for it to be running all the time. maybe the monior is on it's way out. I'm more prone to gizmo's line of thinking tho. EMI.
Old 6th June, 2006, 11:43 PM

He pretty much turned everything off that could produce EMI on the screen.

I'm pretty much running my CRT at the same config. I'm at 1280x960x32 @ 85Hz. It's a second hand Philips 109B, 19". The monitor is about 5 years old of which i've been running it at this for 2 years. I know its pretty hard on the ion cannon or so I heard but when this one kicks the bucket I'll probably get myself a new TFT or plasma thingy

I'll get back to you guys in the morning about this. It also hasn't happened today. I don't know wheather he gamed intensively though.

Thanks for the input
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 7th June, 2006, 11:52 AM

Hey,

He has gamed for more than two hours today with a new nvidia graphics driver. No problems whatsoever. I'll probably dig up this thread when/if it happens again.

Cheers
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2