AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th June, 2006, 06:25 PM

PSU question.

I have a spare Enermax 380W PSU I have just ordered a UATX motherboard which requires 24 pin and 4 pin power however the enermax I have only has a 20 pin and 4 pin but does say ATX version 2.0 can I get an adaptor to use this PSU or is it just best to buy a new one if so can someone recomend a nice quiet PSU suffiencient for a media center pc.
thanks.
Old 16th June, 2006, 07:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Unless I am mistaken, the extra 4 pins on the 24-pin connector are just 12v and ground anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem with getting an adapter.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2006, 07:15 PM

Thanks, just after posting this I found out that the extra 4 pins are to provide extra power for high end GPUs the 20pin is good for enough for PCIE cards that do not exceed 77W as I will be using the onboard GPU anyway and only adding a PCIE terratec dual tuner then I should be fine.
Old 17th June, 2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Unless I am mistaken, the extra 4 pins on the 24-pin connector are just 12v and ground anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem with getting an adapter.
According to my manual the extra 4 pins are +12v +3.3v +5v and Ground - the 4 and 8 pin connectors which are 12v and Ground are seperate and feed the processor.

grandmaster -
I'd suggest you go with the mobo manual (mine says it is compatible with 20 and 24 pin PSUs) - you should be able to get this off the manuafacturers web site if you don't want to wait for the board to arrive.
Old 18th June, 2006, 07:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

In my limited experience, a mainboard with a 24-pin power connector needs a real deal PSU that sports a 24-pin power plug. Underpowering a rig can cause unpleasantness, reahley it can.
Old 18th June, 2006, 07:51 PM

Don't learn the lesson the hard way like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2006, 12:38 AM

Thanks guys I think your right I managed to power up the system but I am not getting good readings:-
4.8 on the 5.5 rail
11 on th 12V rail
3.2 on the 3.3 rail

The PSU will go into windows but its very unstable reboots randomly and some times hangs does that sound like its the PSU I think it must be ebcause the readings are a little low.

what do you recomend I need it to be quiet and handle the below system:-

AM2 64 3800+ possibly overclocked
1GB Kingston Hyper 900MHZ
Onboard 6150 GPU to start with then 7 series when I save up some more cash.
1 * WD Raptor 10000rpm
1* 250GB SATA
1 * DVDRW
1 PCIE - terratec tuner
2 PCI cards
2 USB devices

Thanks in advance
Old 20th June, 2006, 01:05 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

enermax liberty 500w would work ok.
OCA 520w Powerstream.
Enermax 535w

Don't skimp on your PSU...it can easily kill the rest of your system.
Old 20th June, 2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks guys I just ordered an enermax 535w PSU hpfully that should solve my problems
Old 21st June, 2006, 09:58 AM

Hi guys still awaiting the arrival of my new PSU
Do my volt readings above indicate a severly underpowered PSU for my system or should it run ok ?
also my CPU volts are onl 1.27 I think because maybe my PSU cant feed it enough ? or is that what AM2 64s take I was quite sure it was 1.35v
Sorry for all Q's I just want to make sure its the PSU.
thanks.
Old 21st June, 2006, 02:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you took those readings with the on-board sensors using some software, I wouldn't trust them. Get a volt-meter and measure again.
Old 21st June, 2006, 05:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

With those voltage values, measured by multimeter or not, I'd leave this machine off until you install the PSU with the proper power capability. Thank goodness you paid the $ too many charge for overnight delivery!
Old 21st June, 2006, 08:32 PM

thanks guys PSU has just shipped will be with me tomorrow will psot results then
No the voltages were measured with the Asus software on paper the PSU should be ok it was only used for 6 months on a AMD 939 3000+ previously its an enermax 380W.
Oh well if its not the PSU then I presume its the memory because CPU temp is only 30% at most.
Old 22nd June, 2006, 01:45 AM

I never Interpret...