AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th June, 2006, 11:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Antec PS repair

In that Antec case I found in the dumpster, was an SL400 Antec PS. The board and everything else worked great so I (assume) the PS is ok too. Problem is, someone cut "ALL" of the outputs from the PS. I have an old PS that went bad and I was thinking that I could transplant all of the outputs to the Antec PS. I know about all of the issues with PS retaining power and I will take the proper precautions. The question is, on the MOBO plug, is there anything special about the wire colors. To clarify, if I connect all the blue to blue, red to red, orange to orange and so on, should all be ok?

I know this is a lot of work for a not so expensive PS that I am not sure that works. I really enjoy the challenge.

Any input...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2006, 03:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The wire colors are pretty standardized on ATX PSUs, so matching the colors up should be sufficient.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2006, 03:41 AM

A quick pic of what I have
Attached Thumbnails
Antec PS repair-antec1.jpg  
Old 19th June, 2006, 03:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yep, that looks like a pretty standard layout....
Old 19th June, 2006, 03:55 AM

Well I'll let you know how it comes out...
Old 19th June, 2006, 06:59 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Wow. I'd not like undertaking that project. That's ALOT of soldering and wrapping.
Old 19th June, 2006, 07:01 PM

Re: the people who through out your new stash >>> They look to have been a right bunch of idiot cowboys.
Old 19th June, 2006, 07:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Wow. I'd not like undertaking that project. That's ALOT of soldering and wrapping.
Meh. It's not that bad. I had to extend the leads on my PSU by about 3" for my case. Took about an hour.
Old 19th June, 2006, 08:32 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

BEtter you than me, Giz, better you than me.

My hands can't take 15 minutes of playing a FPS game...i suppose if you had the right equipment, it won't take long at all.
Old 19th June, 2006, 09:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
BEtter you than me, Giz, better you than me.

My hands can't take 15 minutes of playing a FPS game...i suppose if you had the right equipment, it won't take long at all.
Actually, my hands aren't the problem; it's my friggin' eyes! Something to do with approaching the magic four-oh, apparently. My eye doctor tells me I'm not far from needing bi-focals.
Old 19th June, 2006, 09:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's possible that you'll see better for real close up work with no spectacles at all in the future, Gizmo. Happy day? The jury is still out.
Old 19th June, 2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Actually, my hands aren't the problem; it's my friggin' eyes! Something to do with approaching the magic four-oh, apparently. My eye doctor tells me I'm not far from needing bi-focals.

I hear ya on that one. I just picked up a magnifier on a stand with clips. It has been great. I will be starting this real soon. I post pics when done.

I have actually been thinking of cleaning up the supply I have in my monster tower. After this, I will probably get to that...