AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th June, 2006, 05:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Ultimate_death

RAID, need advice and info

For my new Pc im going to have 2 80gb ide drives and a sata2 250gb drive.

Ideally, i probably want to use a raid 0 array because data loss isnt really an issue (seagate drives have always been fine for me and the important stuff is backed up on other drive through my network). The problem with this is how i go about setting this up, there are plenty of guides but they seem software based and the board chip supports both ide raid, sata raid and raid spanning across both.

To me the fastest option seems to be putting the 2 80gb drives and an 80gb partition of the 250gb into a raid 0 array, and keep the restas a normal sata 2 partition. Unfortunately, i have no idea of how this works or if it will work, so any help would be appreciated.

Drive to drive tranfer isnt and issue just read/write times to the raid array/left over stuff individually.
Old 20th June, 2006, 06:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You can't RAID a partition using a hardware controller; you can only RAID drives. And if you want to build that 250 GB drive into the array with those two 80 GB drives, you'll only be able to use 80 GB of that drive, period.

What mobo and chipset are you using?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2006, 06:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Basically, you can't. You have to put an entire drive into a RAID array, not partitions.

You haven't provided details on what motherboard it is, so it's a little hard for someone to provide much information in how to set things up.

RAID0 doesn't improve seek times at all - only sequential transfer rates.
Old 20th June, 2006, 06:54 PM

Ah sorry, the motherboards a dfi nf4 sli-d.

Scrap that idea then, is it still worth putting the ide drives in raid 0 (I have the cd drive on a card so no slow down to 33), will it be significantly faster at shifting large loads of data? I am prepared to get only 80gb of space out the ide drives by putting them in a raid 1 array, but this seems to only boost security and has the same transfer rates.
Old 20th June, 2006, 07:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It does depend a bit on the RAID implementation - some RAID1 arrays do give a speed boost too. RAID0 speeds up transfer rates if you do large sequential transfers. However, the more random the access pattern, the more prevalent the seek time is.

The DFI board uses the nVRAID implementation. There's a good number of guides, especially if you are using 32bit Windows, including AOA's guide. If you're using Vista, then there is a thread here by Trancebear that covers Vista as well! I believe that 64bit Windows XP/2003 is similar to the 32bit version, but I don't have a 64bit platform to test that on.
Old 20th June, 2006, 08:57 PM

Thanks, the AQA 32 bit guide seems to be the one for me, should have no problem doing that and with this setup i can back up my data to the 250gb drive first in case i screw up.