AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st June, 2006, 09:30 PM

PSU overkill?

Is it possible to have too big a PSU and kill your PC?
The reason I ask is because the new case I'm getting soon comes with a cheap little 450W psu, and I was thinking about sticking it in my old Dell so I could power a couple more fans, or maybe a better GFX card when I can afford one.
I'm not sure how big the one I have now is, and can't find out without taking it out of the case, but I'm almost positive from the last time I looked that it's between 200 - 300 watts, and certanly no more than 350.
(dell always makes sure thay don't give you even a tiny bit more than you need/paid for.)

It seems unlikely that it'd be possible to fry a PC that way, but I want to make sure before taking any unnecessary risks.
2x 1 Gb g.skill PC3200
Maxtor 100GB SATA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2006, 09:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Yes and No

No you can't kill your computer by putting a higher wattage PSU.

Yes you can kill Dell by putting in your 450w PSU. You see on some systems Dell used propiratry PSU's. The physical conection on the MoBo and PSU are the same as standard ATX however tey remapped the wires. So befor you swap out PSU's very carefully check the layout of the wires to make sure they are the same.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
Yes and No

No you can't kill your computer by putting a higher wattage PSU.

Yes you can kill Dell by putting in your 450w PSU. You see on some systems Dell used propiratry PSU's. The physical conection on the MoBo and PSU are the same as standard ATX however tey remapped the wires. So befor you swap out PSU's very carefully check the layout of the wires to make sure they are the same.
Thanks.
I guess I should have mentioned this before, but I'm planning on buying a new mobo as well, so I'm basicly just keeping the processor, HD and ram. (assuming I can find the right one, I need to do some more research on the socket type, etc. first) So I should be good to go then if it works out right.
2x 1 Gb g.skill PC3200
Maxtor 100GB SATA
Old 21st June, 2006, 11:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

As long as you are replacing the MoBo and PSU you have no worries.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 21st June, 2006, 11:21 PM
AOA Staff

If you were to hook-up a 1000w PSU to a system which only draws 100w, then the PSU will only consume approx. 100w of power. The exact watts consumed by the PSU depending on how efficient it is. Quite a bit of power gets wasted in the form of heat for example.
Old 21st June, 2006, 11:35 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Does it really need all that power ? as i've got a fairly high spec machine (all be it a few years old now) that has a 450w psu in it, according to its guage however at most it draws 175w and at idle cpu & gpu it draws 100w.

and thats with a p4 2.4@3, dvdrom, dvdrw, two hard drives, 3 case fans, cpu fan, ati 9800xt, creaf audigy 2, hauppage nova-t and belkin 54g wireless.

It not the total watts that matters its the amount avaliable on the limiting rail (be it +12v, or +5v usually are the limiting ones) also startup current is usually the big draw on power.

As danrok says a psu will only provide the power thats required plus an efficency factor. the efficency varies with the amount of power being drawn and typically a psu will be most efficent between 50-75% of its rated power output. To much its wasted as heat to little also goes as heat but in a different way
Old 22nd June, 2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
Yes you can kill Dell by putting in your 450w PSU. You see on some systems Dell used propiratry PSU's. The physical conection on the MoBo and PSU are the same as standard ATX however tey remapped the wires.
Ya they do this in the PC's at my school so it's a pain to replace/fix it. We had a fan stop and we couldn't replace it since it was a wired thing to connect. SO the whole PC overheated, I found it really funny the next day when they weeled it out on a streacher like cart.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 22nd June, 2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
Does it really need all that power ? as i've got a fairly high spec machine (all be it a few years old now) that has a 450w psu in it, according to its guage however at most it draws 175w and at idle cpu & gpu it draws 100w.
No, I don't think it needs that much, hence the 'overkill' part, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some extra. (I'll have the PSU wether I use it or not, so I figured, what the heck, might as well)

The specs on it after I upgrade will be:
P4 2.6Ghz
ATi radeon 9800 SE (if it works that is, my dad bought it on ebay and it didn't work in his PC, I don't think it's a problem with the card though)
1 gig PC2700 ram (will upgrade to 3200 eventually)
DVD-RW
40 gig ide HD
And probably 4 case fans, plus CPU and GFX fan obviously.

It should be nice to have an intel-ati setup to compare to my amd-nvidia, of course the 9800se/7800gt and P4 2.6/A64 3700 aren't exactly equal to eachother.
2x 1 Gb g.skill PC3200
Maxtor 100GB SATA