AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd June, 2006, 07:18 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Question IRDA + headset not working !

So there is this piece of gaming equipment. One irda receiver one helmet with moving sensors. They are wired and from the irda receiver there goes out one wire terminated in a gameport connector and there is one adapter from that gameport to serial. The other cable is ended by a keyboard ps2 connector that has the end opened in order to attach the keyboard to it.

The problem is this. It came with no software and in some info we got it's says that is supposed to work like a regular 3 axis joystick. On the rig I tested I have no gameport and the normal joystick instalation cannot work without one gameport, sheesh. I think I will install a soundcard in this rig that has gameport and drop the serial adaptor from this scheme !

Edit: After installing the gamecard I realised that although the connector is the same as the gameport uses is not ment to connect to gameport. That connector goes into the adapter and powers up the receiver thru PS2 mouse port. If connected to gameport the receiver doesn't start. So actually the connection is RS232. I don't think this equipment can work without some software !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 22nd June, 2006 at 07:31 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2006, 03:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It probably needs some software - who makes it, and what model is it?