AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th June, 2006, 09:40 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

USB bandwidth exceeded.

It seems now I am on an 8meg broadband connection my modem is using 79% of my USB controller bandwidth, 13% is system reserved, this means my USB headset will not work and an error is generated complaining of the USB bandwidth being insufficient.

Any ideas how to sort this out?, I am not using the headers on the motherboard which I think are on a separate USB controller but I dont really want to have to wire them up.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2006, 10:15 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Is your modem a cable modem ? I have my phone plugged into my modem and I have had no issues ! I guess I have a different type of modem :\
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2006, 11:30 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Typically pairs of USB ports are on the same root hub, and thus on the same controller. If the machine is the same motherboard as in your sig, then an 8meg connection shouldn't max out a USB2 port. Do you have a USB hub in there somewhere?
Old 28th June, 2006, 12:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Does your modem have a eithernet port? Mine has both. I use the eithernet so I can network. You could hook to your nic and the problem is gone.
Old 28th June, 2006, 03:22 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

All I have are the 4 USB sockets at the back of the board, I have headers on the board for many more connections but dont have the panels to plug in the and no front usb to use.
Here are some pics to help explain, I appear to have two USB controllers according to the device manager, however the four ports at the back of my pc all seem to be connected to the openHCD controller, my ADSL modem and my card reader always show up with each on its own USB root hub (as pictured).
It seems when I plug my headset in it is requesting 9% of the bandwidth (apparently on the openHCD controller) and there is not enough bandwidth remaining.
Attached Thumbnails
USB bandwidth exceeded.-dm.jpg   USB bandwidth exceeded.-seusb.jpg   USB bandwidth exceeded.-79.jpg   USB bandwidth exceeded.-all.jpg  

AOA Team fah
Old 28th June, 2006, 03:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Since USB 2.0 has a 480mbit (theoretical) max, and USB 1.1 has an 11mbit max, I tend to think your controller is running in legacy mode.

Check your bios & drivers to ensure you are running in 2.0 mode. Your 8meg connection shouldn't be an issue on USB 2.0.
Old 29th June, 2006, 01:13 PM

Make sure you are running on Service Pack 2 as most USB 2.0 drivers need SP2 to function. Thats if you are using XP of course.

I have a problem with USB2.0 functionality on my A7N8X-E Deluxe, i just can't seem to get it to work. In the end i just bought a VIA USB 2.0 PCI card and use that for everything that needs USB 2.0 (Pod Xt and Mbox etc) and use the standard hubs for everything else that doesn't need it.

PCI USB cards are quite inexpensive for the simple 2 port ones.

Also failing that, just get a router. You won't regret getting a router as the decrease in buffer overheads increases performance no end and it's just faster and always online (as long as you don't switch it off!).
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 29th June, 2006, 01:22 PM

It does seem to be in USB 1.1 mode, however it doesn't want to change its mind and i've never had this happen before...this could be something to do with the little surface mount component underneath the CPU I accidentally erased from the board when I put my watercooling in

AOA Team fah
Old 29th June, 2006, 06:24 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

A router is seriously the way to go if you want to free up a USB port and have a faily decent 'always-on' connection and besides you can pick up a wired router for £20 or less.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 29th June, 2006, 10:09 PM

Yup. My wireless router cost me £34 from Ebuyer.com. It's absolutely brilliant. Does everything i ask it to and i don't seem to get the common problems that everybody seems to get with routers. I got mine set up correctly and never use UPnP and everything works with it. Got my Xbox set up and i'm able to FTP to that and able to browse the net without having my pc switched on which is excellant. Got my PSP working wirelessly with it as. Can't wait to get my Wii and have WiiConnect 24 on!
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 29th June, 2006, 10:44 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Quote:
Yup. My wireless router cost me £34 from Ebuyer.com.
Do you have a link to your router at all?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 29th June, 2006, 11:29 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

If the modem is only a usb 1.1 device it will only run in 1.1 mode. If the other device is also only usb 1.1 then you will be out of bandwidth on that hub.
As the others have suggested either
a) usb pci card
b) connect up other headers
c) eithernet modem.

Edit just looking at the pics you appear to only have the one controller with 10 ports. which is odd!
The enhanced controller is the usb 2.0 part of the driver, anything using 2 will go there. anything on 1.1 will go in the other tab.

attached is what the usb controller settings look like on my latop (dell lattitude d600, based on i855)

it has two physical ports, both wired to there own hub. the others are avaliable when docked
Attached Thumbnails
USB bandwidth exceeded.-usb.jpg  

Last edited by keithwalton; 29th June, 2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 30th June, 2006, 10:27 AM

@ Got Epox

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90975/rb/20154778501

That's a newer version of my router i think, it looks like they don't sell mine anymore. Mine is the Safecom Swamr 54108.

http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category....d=7&subcatid=1
Thats the direct link to my router. I honnestly can't fault it. It's about the same size as two DVD cases stacked on top of each other. It looks butt ugly but it's stowed away where nobody can see it anyway.
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah