AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd July, 2006, 05:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

PC In Wall Outlet

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/840/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2006, 05:40 PM
AOA Staff

That's unusual! Presumably, it loads the OS from the server.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

As it is designed to be a thin client, it would either have to do some kind of network boot or it would have to have an OS-In-Rom implementation.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Is it a virtual desktop?

Last edited by Samuknow; 3rd July, 2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 06:27 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
Is it a virtual desktop?
Just a diskless PC. So, has to boot from the LAN. This is supported by all most all LAN adaptors. Or, as Gizmo suggested it could have a bootable ROM chip.

Once the PC is booted and logged on to a server, it then has proper access to a disk, so it can carry on booting whatever is needed from the server's disk. That could include a Remote Windows Desktop.

EDIT: Could also boot from a USB drive!

Last edited by danrok; 3rd July, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 08:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It does not netboot. It also doesn't have a ia32 compatible processor, instead using a AMD Au 1550 RISC processor running between 333 and 500MHz. The high end system has 128MB RAM. All software that actually runs on the Jack PC has to be digitally signed, including the OS.

Onboard is support for both Citrix Metaframe and Windows Terminal Server. Thus to use the Jack PC, you actually need something that will run the software on - the Jack PC just acts as the display effectively. However, it also natively supports web browsing, so web delivered applications will run just fine.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 08:31 PM

So basically you have a bank of processors and men that each one is dedicated to be used by each connection. So all the wall unit does is interface to the eithernet connection and allow login. after that you are running on the client, dedicated processor?

This is actually a question.....
Old 3rd July, 2006, 08:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Basically, what Áedán said is that you either need a Citrix-type server that the client logs into, or you need to be using web-based applications. In either case, the application being used runs on a remote server and the Jack PC just serves as a 'window' to the application on the remote server. Depending on the horsepower of the server and the resource needs of the application, a server may be able to support many clients or just a few.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 08:45 PM

Seems quite cool for businesses - but it seems to rule out GIS, photoediting, CAD work etc.

On a similar note though - I think it would make a good "mod squad mod" (does that sound right?) - if anyone knows of a similar style face plate id be interested as the bedrooms at home are quite small, so I'd love to put Pc's in the loft and have TFT access in the rooms. That makes me think its a doorway to insane water cooling etc projects - but budget would never go that far. Makes me wonder how you'd get over IDE/CD rom drive issues also (unless USB was used). But now Im totally off course from the original article.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 08:59 PM

Given that it's aimed at businesses, it does make sense. For example, I know of one company that is moving everything across to Citrix. The desktop machine only acts as a "window" onto the server. That way files are always saved to the correct place (IE, not on the local hard disk), application and OS patches/upgrades only need to be done to the server, and the desktop machine does not pose a significant virus/trojan risk to the rest of the network. Should a desktop machine fail, it can be replaced very quickly. Citrix supports clustering of servers, so that if a Citrix server fails another can step into it's place.

Also, why would you want a full 200W worth of power consumption from a desktop PC, if you can get away with only 5W of power consumption? That sounds like a nice power saving, until you realise that also means that airconditioning doesn't have to handle 200W worth of PC either, so you save even more energy!

I'm also aware of call centers that only provide web based applications for TCO and security reasons. Why have a full PC just for a web browser?

Last edited by Áedán; 3rd July, 2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:15 PM

What we do here, still not sure why, is use remote desktop. I log on local and I have a shortcut to my remote desktop on the server. This way everything gets backed up. It is crazy slow though. I still run cad locally and any thing that takes a little horsepower.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

There are applications that are not suited for this, to be sure. CAD/CAM, graphics, software development, basically anything that involves engineering or design really needs local horsepower. However, the vast majority of PC use these days falls into the 'mainenance' category; update information, gather new information, that sort of thing, where the processing horsepower can safely reside some distance from the point of use.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
It does not netboot. It also doesn't have a ia32 compatible processor, instead using a AMD Au 1550 RISC processor running between 333 and 500MHz. The high end system has 128MB RAM. All software that actually runs on the Jack PC has to be digitally signed, including the OS.

Onboard is support for both Citrix Metaframe and Windows Terminal Server. Thus to use the Jack PC, you actually need something that will run the software on - the Jack PC just acts as the display effectively. However, it also natively supports web browsing, so web delivered applications will run just fine.
I was wondering how they managed to get a PC in to such a small box.

So, really this is just going full circle to the old days of mainframe plus dumb terminals, only new and improved.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've no immediate use for it, but pretty nifty!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:34 PM
Projector Wizard

Its a nice small solution and can work well for movies, sound, Windows use but not games or any other app where latency is an issue.

As has been said you need a PC acting as a server for it.
The unit acts like remote desktop so all processing is performed on the Server.
The wall unit is a simple way to display the remote screen and take user input.

edit:
blimey so many replies so quick, all the above has been said already
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 3rd July, 2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:34 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
I've no immediate use for it, but pretty nifty!
Give it 5 years and we'll all have one in every room.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

At lest one! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd July, 2006, 09:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
So, really this is just going full circle to the old days of mainframe plus dumb terminals, only new and improved.
There are very few new ideas, just new ways of implementing them.

The company I work for just spent 5 years and several million dollars so that they could rebuild, from scratch, what they already had. The difference between the new and the old? Well, the new is based around modern paradigms of design.
Old 3rd July, 2006, 10:07 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

It's interesting, but as said many times on this thread it wouldn't be much good for games, CAD, or any heavy-duty processing given the latency.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 4th July, 2006, 10:00 AM

Not sure why you think that heavy-duty processing would be an issue? Those who have used Remote Desktop have actually been unwittingly using Terminal Services.

Given that one of the most major risks to many corporate networks is people surfing the internet and picking up trojans unwittingly, moving to a system where control is centralised is a good thing. It also makes it significantly more difficult for a rogue employee to attack the network, as there's no storage or major processing done on the client workstations. Instead, only a limited (and controlled) set of services are published via Metaframe or Terminal Services. There's little/no ability to be able to run your own code making a compromise significantly more difficult.