AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th July, 2006, 11:21 AM

Sapphire Liquid Cooled Radeon X1900 XTX TOXIC

Trusted Reviews has a review of the Radeon X1900 XTX Toxic liquid cooled video card, it kinda looks like a tidewater liquid cooler, but sexier!
check it out http://www.trustedreviews.com/articl...ge=7326&head=0
Old 4th July, 2006, 12:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Heh. That was written by Spode. Well someone named Andrew 'Spode' Miller. Is the same Spode who was previously a frequenter of AOA and started Spodes Abode?

Anyway: Good review. Proves that water cooling is better for performance than water (for those who were in doubt).

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 4th July, 2006 at 12:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2006, 01:07 PM

Yeah I want to get the tidewater plus for my SLi rig, but I don't know anyone that has one, I read the review on it, but I'd like to know if its gonna last, or just die after a couple months...
Old 4th July, 2006, 07:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

No doubt a very fine video card. $600 +? Ouch!
Old 4th July, 2006, 09:48 PM
AOA Staff

Looks like the watercooling aspect of it only really allows for reduced noise, not so much better cooling than a regular GPU air cooler.
Old 4th July, 2006, 09:58 PM

is that because the reservoir is smaller on the watercooler? That would make me sway more towards just water cooling my whole rig rather than the freezer 64 on the CPU and tidewater plus for the video...
Old 4th July, 2006, 10:43 PM
AOA Staff

It's the radiator and fan which are on the small side. Plus, it is drawing air from inside the case. That air is likely to be warm already. Ideally, you want to use air from outside the case to cool the radiator.

You'll notice that Spode was testing this on a caseless system. So, that would have helped it cooler better in his tests. Cooling would be worse once it is fitted inside a case.

Having said that, the fan is drawing from lower down in the case which should be cooler than elsewhere. You could also mod your case with a duct or intake fan near the cooler intake.

In general, it is best to go for a good full watercooling set-up. The cheaper alternatives are usually no good. You get what you pay for with watercooling!

Last edited by danrok; 4th July, 2006 at 10:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th July, 2006, 12:00 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Just buy a regular XTX, watercool it, and flash the bios to the toxic, like I have!

Last edited by cadaveca; 5th July, 2006 at 12:01 AM.