AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2006, 11:11 AM
AOA Staff

Post Exploding laptops are part of the game

From AOA's Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/948/2/

Comments?
Old 30th July, 2006, 11:32 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I think Dell should make more of an effort to get it sorted, but other companies, like Apple have been having noteable problems with their laptops too. I think the consumers as a whole are living in a culture of OTT flaming anything and everything.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2006, 12:10 PM
Steve Jobs

I have a gripe list for every laptop on the market about as long as my cat's tail, but the whole thing is definitely being overdone. My laptop is a Dell, simply because they make sense. Fast, cheap, generic, basic, common, repairable. Its the Toyota Corolla of the laptop game, and you can feel it in the cheapness of the plastic, and in some questionable design ideas, such as the fan intake directly under the laptop, but you get it for a pittance.

5-10 years ago, if you bought a laptop, and it crapped out on you, you had a legitimate right to tar and feather the maker, as it was a serious investment priced in the order of a brand new small car. Toshiba were making top end laptops with Pentium 2s in the upper $14,000 range in Australia, while at the time you could buy brand new Nissan Pulsar for a grand less than that.

These are not lifetime purchases, and they are not things you will keep for 6-8 years. They are disposable, and now cost less than 10% of that Toshiba for something quite reasonable.

Apple is just a dinosaur. Laptops that expensive, and that bad are an embarassment. Using an X1600, with drivers that barely run under OSX, running dual channel ram, when its been shown that they gain nothing from it, making sacrifices in quality and design to get a look, and packing the whole lot together in a package that overheats, bulges, and breaks in so many ways is a joke.

The iBook G4s were ok. Apple was good at that, taking a fast, efficient RISC processor, packaging it with a low end gpu and plenty of ram, and letting the package play off its strengths worked well.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!