AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd August, 2006, 09:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Marshmellin Send a message via Yahoo to Marshmellin

Hardware/Computer Question - Which is Better?

All right, Ladies and Germs! The topic of today’s discussion is Dell laptops!

As you know, school is swiftly approaching. College starts of the first of September for me, and I’ve been working the last month and a half to save up money for various items—items which include among them a laptop.

Now, as always, I’ve got a budget. But, as always, I’ve got questions. There are a few things about looking for a new computer that can be potentially problematic. Namely, performance.

Within my budget, I’ve got roughly three choices. Pulling out information from the catalogue, I’ve listed them in an orderly fashion.

Dell Inspiron E1505 - $699

Processor: Intel Core Solo Processor T1300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Home Edition – Windows Vista Capable
Display: 15.4” Widescreen XGA Display
Memory: 512MB Shared Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 60GB
Graphics Card: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
CD/DVD Drive: CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless: Dell 1390 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g)
Extras: -
Warranty, Service, and Support: 1 Year Limited Warranty

Inspiraon E1405 - $699

Processor: Intel Core Solo Processor T1300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Display: 14.1” Widescreen XGA Display
Memory: 512MB Shared Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics Card: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
CD/DVD Drive: CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless: Dell 1390 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g)

Inspiron B130 - $699

Processor: Intel Centrino Mobile Technology – Intel Pentium M Processor 735 (1.70GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB)
Display: 15.4” Widescreen XGA Display
Memory: 512MB Shared DDR SDRAM
Graphics Card: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
CD/DVD Drive: CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g)

Why I want it and what I want it for:

My computer will mainly be used for research and things like that associated with your typical Pre-Med/Biology double-major student, but in addition to this, it’s important to remember that I’m into graphics. Like whoa. I’ll be heavily utilizing it for storing pictures, working on them in photoshop, and the like. Also, I tend to save or keep episodes of TV shows on my hard drive as well as songs.

In addition to that, I also HATE the lag computers get. They way they can get slow to open a file or to show thumbnails/icons. That bugs me to no end.

So. I’ve said all that to say this:

I’d like to know what one you think is a better choice and why. Also, if someone could explain What It All Means™, I’d be very grateful. While I can do a lot with a computer, I’m not all that great with the actual mechanical side of computing. If there’s a computer (be it desktop or laptop) that might be better to use and stays in the same price range, please, please let me know! Your help is appreciated in this.

Thanks!
Old 2nd August, 2006, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

IMO it's between the 1505 and the B130 for the choices as the specs on the 1505 and 1405 are VERY close, only diff being the screen size. as for the difs between the 130 and 105 the cpu is faster on the 130 but the front serial bus is a good 1/3 slower so i say the 1505

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd August, 2006, 10:25 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

THe difference between the 1505 & 1405 are cosmetic... Do you want a 15" or 14" widescreen?

For Lag issues, there are 2 basic approaches that apply to me. Is it caused by multiple processes? Is the system using a process and you are requesting something else causing delays? .... hint... think dual core. 2nd approach, does your system have enough memory, or is it constantly reading from temp file?

My solution was to buy an E1505 w/
1.66ghz dual core
512 mb of RAM
40gig of HDD (you may want more)
Upgrade video to ATI 1300 (mediocre for gaming, as opposed to crappy)
Ugrade monitor to TruLife (whatever that means... slightly better view)
Buy a 1gig stick of memory from someplace else (for $60)

whala... kicking notebook for under $700.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 02:45 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Check out the Dell small business site.

Right now you can get an Inspiron 6400 with a Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache), 1GB of DDR 533RAM, an 80GB 5400RPM HDD, CD-RW/DVD combo drive, built in wireless adapter, and (sadly) Intel 950 Itergrated graphics. That will run you $649. Dell small business charges sales tax everywhere so you will have to pay your local sales tax. If you can swing it, an extra $49 gets you an ATi X1300.

If you buy from Dell pay the extra $10 and get a copy of Win XP Home on disc instead of the recovery CD they give you for free.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2006, 02:54 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Ugrade monitor to TruLife (whatever that means... slightly better view)
Truelife is the screen with the glossy finish. Where as without Truelife you get a matte finish.

I perfer the matte finish as I the Truelife to reflective in a well lite enviroment. In a dark room where all the light is coming from the screen (as opossed to lighting fixtures in the room, or the sun) then the truelife looks better.

I have worked on both on recent Dell Laptops. Diferent owners have liked the feature and other wish they hadn't gotten it. Of those that don't have it, no one has ever complained for not getting it.

It is really something that is subjective and the only way to make and informed decision is to go to a big box store like Best Buy or CompUSA and look at the two diferent types and see which you perfer.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 10:11 AM
AOA Staff

You'll want at least 1GB of RAM for Photoshop, especially on a laptop - the drives are slower than desktops. So, any swapping out to disk is more noticeable.