AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th August, 2006, 07:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Terabyte drive to debut later this year

Desktop hard drives holding 1 terabyte, or 1,000 gigabytes, of storage will likely debut in 2006, according to Bill Healy, senior vice president of product strategy and marketing at Hitachi Global Storage Technologies. These drives, which will have a 3.5-inch diameter, are expected to be incorporated into PCs and home servers.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1044/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2006, 10:19 PM

0.909TB 9% (90GB) are missing
manufactures should stop this
Old 15th August, 2006, 10:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try explaining to a non-technical person that 1 Gigabyte is actually 1,024 Gigabytes; 1,048,576 Megabytes; 1,073,741,824 Kilobytes, or 1,099,511,627,776 bytes, and watch their eyes glaze over as they try (unsuccessfully) to do the math.

Hence the reason that Kilo (K), Mega (M), Giga (G), and Tera (T) have been standardized to be 1,000; 1,000,000; and 1,000,000,000, respectively, while Kibi (Ki), Mibi (Mi), Gibi (Gi), and Tibi (Ti) have been standardized by the International Standards Organization to the binary values we are used to.

I know, I think it sucks too, but that's the way it is. When the rest of the world is too stupid to breath on its own, sometimes you just have to accept that you have to use a respirator just like everyone else.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2006, 11:08 PM

I know what you mean, I'll try to accept it.
can you edit the first line, I think you meant '1 Terrabyte'
Old 16th August, 2006, 03:45 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I'm a bit concerned over the addititon of extra platters to get this 1TB. THis means failures are more likely, IMHO.
Old 16th August, 2006, 04:00 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Hence the reason that Kilo (K), Mega (M), Giga (G), and Tera (T) have been standardized to be 1,000; 1,000,000; and 1,000,000,000, respectively, while Kibi (Ki), Mibi (Mi), Gibi (Gi), and Tibi (Ti) have been standardized by the International Standards Organization to the binary values we are used to.
Given that the prefix notation for powers of ten (kilo, mega, giga et al) was in place before the binary values came into use, it is those who decided that using the same prefix for binary values that confused everyone. Hence, 1Kbyte should have been 1000Bytes to begin with!
Old 16th August, 2006, 04:07 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
I'm a bit concerned over the addititon of extra platters to get this 1TB. THis means failures are more likely, IMHO.
Nah, it's no big deal. It's not like server class drives with 5 or 7 platters haven't been around before. There's even been 2.5 inch disks with 4 platters!
Old 16th August, 2006, 04:36 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I'm jsut wondering about the load on the motor, and not really anything else. I wonder how well these things will deal with a bump too.

Don't get me wrong...i think this is a great thing, but I've stayed awy from larger drives and Raptor's due to heat and noise, but my uses are seeming to require more than the 500GB i got already.

Then there's power consumption..wonder how this fares?
Old 23rd August, 2006, 06:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I am still a little freaked out by having all that storage on one drive. If you are building a HTPC it might be ok. And then there are partitions. yikes..

I too wonder about failure, heat, strain on the power supply,
Old 23rd August, 2006, 06:59 PM

Yeah I am with Sam on this. Disposable data like on a HTPC is well suited for the 1TB drives but that much of just about anything else seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

E8400 @ 3.92 / ASUS P5Q SE/R / MSI 8800GT / OCZ DDR2 1066 / VelociRaptor 150G

P4 3.2 Prescott running at 3.45 / 2G ram / 8800GT / 3dmark03 31345

Alienware 7700 Laptop P4 HT 2.4ghz 1G ram 17"screen

HTPC Silverstone Case / A64 3200 / 2G ram / 7900GTX / Hauppauge PVR250 / Thermaltake Big TyphoonHSF

AOA Team fah