AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd August, 2006, 08:37 PM

Question Quick question about hard drives

Hello, I have been considering buying a new hard drive for some time now and in light of recent events I fear that my current hard drive may fail soon. My question is, when I get the new hard drive and hook it up, can I move everything (files, settings, windows xp) to the new drive and retire the old one? Does the "files and settings transfer wizard" do this? I have no experience with using that tool so I thought I better ask thanks.

Or if there is another method to transfer everything from the old drive to the new one any info would be appreciated.

Last edited by patman01; 22nd August, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2006, 04:48 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Any drive you buy should have a utility to do exactly what you want.

For instance here is how Maxtor does it.

I just did this a couple of months ago with a WD drive and it is really easy.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2006, 03:17 PM

alas, that is good news for I have purchased this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144701
thanks!
Old 23rd August, 2006, 03:47 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newegg Comment
Don't get this drive if there's a SATA 1.5 Gb/s of the same size for cheaper, SATA II is a marketing ploy. Info from the platter can't be read fast enough to even dream of coming close to 1.5 Gb/s at 7200 RPM.
What do you guys think about what he said?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home

Last edited by Got EpOx; 23rd August, 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 23rd August, 2006, 03:50 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

If you read a few reviews it seems that the SATA-2 drives are slightly faster and with a four-disk RAID 0 it makes a significant difference.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd August, 2006, 03:52 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

You mentioned you had problems with your RAID setup i think a while back. How are they performing now?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 23rd August, 2006, 03:57 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

I had a slight problem which turned out to be a duff SATA cable, Im only using two 40GB drives at present as I moved briefly to a smaller case and didnt have the room for all four without heat issues, I'm hanging on at the moment until I upgrade to a board that has SATA-2 and them i'm either gonna put 4 small Samsung Spinpoint drives in a RAID or get a pair of something with a better seek time depending on the cash available.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd August, 2006, 04:09 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

SATA II isn't just a higher speed interface (In fact, you shouldn't refer to SATA 3Gbs as SATA II). There are other additions to the protocol that aid performance and functionality.

Of course, taking advantage of them requires that both ends talk the same version of SATA!
Old 23rd August, 2006, 08:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman01
alas, that is good news for I have purchased this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144701
thanks!
Sweet!

That is the exact same drive I updated to. Here is what you do. Go to http://support.wdc.com/download/inde...pid=999&swid=1 and download Data Lifegaurd tools 11.2 for Windows. Then leave you current drive installed (with the data life gaurd tool installed on it) and install your new HDD. Then open up the data life gaurd tools, I don't remember the exact procedure but it is there and it is run from windows. You want to copy the contents from one drive to another. The wizard will walk you through it and make the transfer. When it is finished you shut down, remove the old drive, and set up the BIOS to boot from SATA and power back up.

If everything went as it should then your system will be faster and have more room and be exactly the same otherwise.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 23rd August, 2006, 10:58 PM

Wow, thanks a lot Staz, this will make my transition quick and easy
Old 29th August, 2006, 08:38 PM

well everything went quite well in transfering over all the data, but I have encountered a few anomalous problems... When I boot up it always asks me to select the operating system, it lists two "windows xp home" and I just press enter an it works fine, but it's kind of annoying and I wonder how I can go about removing it.
Secondly ever since the transfer I cannot get into msconfig, it simply does not come up. And since I figured that I would need to get into msconfig to fix the listing of the two operating systems I'm stuck. Thanks for any help.
Old 2nd September, 2006, 05:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Boomp.
Old 3rd September, 2006, 08:38 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

From memory, you don't do it from MSconfig, but from Control Panel -> System. Find and click the "Startup and Recovery" settings under the "Advanced" tab. That page should have a "Edit" button on it. When you click it, it will open notepad with the boot.ini file.

Basically, you want to look under the "[operating systems]" section. There's one line per OS listed at startup. You probably want to remove the second one - presuming that you highlight the first one when the system boots.