AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2006, 03:37 AM

Psu

Is there any software that I can use to test a PSU?

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2006, 04:37 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongwolf
Is there any software that I can use to test a PSU?
No, there isn't really.

The only way to get any sort of information about a PSU with any degree of accuracy is to probe individual rails with a properly calibrated multimeter.

And it should be noted, that in order to get reasonably accurate results, you need to have that PSU under the maximum load you ever have on it. Rubbish PSUs will happily behave themselves off load, and fall apart when the current starts flowing heavily.

There are some common sense things in this though. If you want to once-over a PSU, check that all fans are spinning, and unobstructed. Check that the internals are not caked with dust and crud, and most of all, use your nose. If a PSU is bad, you can usually smell it well before it goes bad.

You'll know the smell I mean when it hits your nostrils. It smells like impending expensiveness.

Humming, hissing, crackling, are all indicators as well. As are sparks. You can tell a great deal with your senses that a multimeter or software can never tell you.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 4th September, 2006 at 04:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2006, 01:23 PM

Thanks Dsio.
I get an error message that state that the PCIX were not getting the power they need (it was an nVidia error message not windows). That gives me the excuse to buy another PSU becuse the one that I have, feed the power to the VC from a single cable. So I take off my AeroCool 550 Sli and get an Akasa 550. It crashed on the first 3DM06 test (pass second attemp) and is kind of noisy. Is this normal in this kind of psu? Also take off the Zalman 9500 and put back the original heatsink from AMD. I'm starting to belive that I screw things up.
BTW is that you in the avatar? Just courious.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 4th September, 2006 at 01:52 PM.