AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd September, 2006, 01:54 AM

wait for 1tb those should be out soon.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2006, 03:21 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
well find someway to fill them, thing is were getting better at compression so it's growing out of need. no average uses gets close to fill a 250gib. even if they download "movies"
This sort of storage space will be Standard soon. Mark my words.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 22nd September, 2006 at 03:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2006, 11:53 AM

of course it will, but like I said were getting better at storage of music, I think that games will be the primary filler.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 22nd September, 2006, 05:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Now that we really don't need more space, it comes unbidden! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd September, 2006, 03:58 AM

For some reason daniel I get the feeling you are making fun of me. I honeslty think where going to see things getting more reliable as opposed to bigger. this seems to happen in all industries.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2006, 06:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No way Dude! Just adding my own comments. ":O}

For all I know you could be right.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 25th September, 2006, 12:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Better at storage with compression ratios in music doesn't actually mean better.

Try listening to one of your MP3's then get an old record of the same song.

The record sounds better than uncompressed digital music.

I want a program where I can store analogue algorithms for my music, and 2.5TB HDD's will allow that. I don't want compressed music, I want analogue.

And Yes, I do own records and a record player. I am also in the market for a laser disk player and laser disks.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 25th September, 2006, 09:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Hey, nothing wrong with records, but i was bought up in the digital age and most of my music is in MP3 64 (a few are in 128 and 256). 64 is pretty clear, anything below 64 and you start to lose treble. WMA is a good format though, very clear, smaller file sizes but you can only encode up to 64.

As for HDD's, i've got 3 partitions on one 200Gib HDD and one single partition on the 20Gib. In order, C:\, E:\, F:\ and H:\, this is what i have spare: 3.62, 3.61, 3.73 and 2.90. Bear in mind that F:\ is the windows partition with all my stuff from my previous rig (anyone remember the Duron i had, 1600+ but clocked at 1.4Ghz ). If i can rescue all the stuff i need off of that, i've no need to keep and i'll end up with another 31.9.

But it's easier to just buy a 200Gib SATA or 2.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 25th September, 2006, 10:36 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I tend to find that at lower (<128Kbit) bitrates, the phasing of high frequencies sounds like it's seriously screwed up. Compressed isn't neccessarily better, although I do not consider a record to sound better either. Besides, you can't cut a record when there is too much phase difference between the channels.

Last edited by Áedán; 25th September, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 25th September, 2006, 09:29 PM
AOA Staff

When CDs first arrived I played the same music on vynil and CD at the same time. Switched between the two and the difference was very noticable. Record sounded a lot better.

Most likely I have since gone a bit deaf and would not notice so much!

Also, I wonder if our average hi-fi amps, today, would even handle the extra bandwidth on a record? They're designed for use with CDs.
Old 25th September, 2006, 10:04 PM
Member/Contributer

No alot of the 'Hi-Fi' amps wont properly handle a record. You will recieve roughly the same as a CD.

You need a tube amp or spend a decent amount on the amp to get the range. Most modern amps are chip amps, and can only really do 192kHz / 24bit max bandwith, unless you are prepared to spend the money.

True analogue sound holds so much more than a CD, SACD, or even DVD-A. While the difference in channels may not be much, there are a few old Jethro Tull albums, where you can actually hear the fingers move on the guitar, and some others you can hear a small amount of traffic sounds outside during the quieter parts.

Its more of a live sound, there is so much more detail than ever could be put into a CD.

2.5TB may actually allow equation like algorithms to actually store analogue music.

I currently have all my music on CD, DVD or LP, with a small percentage also copied at 320kbps as MP3's for my phone and my partners iPod. At 320kbps, I would need about 3TB or maybe more to fit all my music onto the computer.

I have somewhere in the range of 300CD's and DVD's and 250LP's, I will also never buy MP3's via iTunes or similar (not being available in NZ not withstanding), as I do not know who actually encoded the music and from what, and it doesn't give me the formats I would prefer, its also only 128kpbs.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 25th September, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 25th September, 2006, 11:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I have no stick in this fire! My musicality has long been a subject of ridicule! I can accept that others see taste feel hear other and/ or better than I. I can sooo easily live with that! LOL

How some ever, NOT one soul has ever been able to pass a double blind test as far as being able to reliably id CD as apposed to vinyl.

This seems to hold true with both familiar and unfamiliar content. Now my info is some 10 to 20 years old, so time and science may have marched on this.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 25th September, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 26th September, 2006, 01:32 AM
Member/Contributer

For alot of people I would say that is true.

It also depends alot on the quality on the CD, the LP, and the equipment.

Its also true that most people can't tell the difference between a $200 Philips 'Hi-Fi' CD system and a $300,000 Shanling CD tube player or SOTA turntable, Shanling tube amp, and B&W speakers.

Most people will also tell you how Bose are the best in the world, where my 8 year old $1100 Aiwa (before they became Sony) 'Hi-Fi' system sounds better than my parents $3k Bose system.

But like most things, many people can't tell the difference between a 128kbps MP3 and a CD or LP, they also can't tell when sound above 20kHz and below 50Hz is taken out, and even can't really tell the difference between 64kbps ATRAC3 (Sony) and a CD.

For me, to actually hear Jimi's hands move up and down the fret board as he is playing gives music a whole new feeling to the experience.

as for 2.5TB, that means an uncompressed mathmatical model of the sinusidal waveform of music can be stored (infact probably all of my records could be like that on 2.5TB) and then the uncompressed music stream can be output into whatever you felt like, whether that be a $200 system or a $3,000,000 system, with the only difference in quality being the system you decide to play it on. I personally think that would be one step above even the ELP laser turntable, as it wouldn't be affected by amospheric conditions as much.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 26th September, 2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old 26th September, 2006, 05:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
How some ever, NOT one soul has ever been able to pass a double blind test as far as being able to reliably id CD as apposed to vinyl.
Then they were testing the average joe on the street, and not an audiophile. LOL

I don't count myself as an audiophile, but I CAN tell the difference, and have on several occasions, much to the consternation of my less aurally literate associates.

I will grant this, re: CD vs. Vinyl.

Vinyl is much harder to care for than CD. I can get consistent reproduction across a much wider variety of conditions than is possible with viny. However, under optimum conditions vinyl is a much better medium, IMO.
Old 26th September, 2006, 05:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Actually this was Published in an Audio file Mag. It's a very psychological thing, hearing is...
And no, Professionals musicians were included in the tests. as were the crew at the MAG, later, for the article I read. all failed.

As I've said, I couldn't care less, just reporting what I read when I was looking in to buying a system. Might be worth looking into for you Golden ears...":O}

I'm more than willing to concede that as this is/was VERY good news for the CD industry....there might of been a few adjustments in the stats along the way, but I have no direct reason to think that.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 26th September, 2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
But like most things, many people can't tell the difference between a 128kbps MP3 and a CD or LP, they also can't tell when sound above 20kHz and below 50Hz is taken out.
Given that human hearing doesn't extend above 20KHz except in some rare extreme cases, it's hardly surprising that most people can't hear above 20KHz really.

I would disagree that a decent value amp has more bandwidth than a decent semiconductor amp too (Given that "chip amps" are quite capable of multi-MHz worth of bandwidth with less than 2dB of ripple). Instead, I strongly get the impression that those who are used to the distortion induced by vinyl/tube amp prefer such a sound, whereas those used to the distortion induced by DAC/semiconductor amp prefer that sound.

Last edited by Áedán; 26th September, 2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 27th September, 2006, 12:02 AM
Member/Contributer

The problem isn't so much taking it out (although leaving a margin of error would be good), its the way its taken out. Also below 50Hz can be felt. Also in hearing tests I can hear up to 22kHz, with a slight deadning at 18kHz because of the shooting I have done.

I am not saying that chip amps don't have the bandwith capability, but the cheap ones don't have that capability built in.

I actually prefer different amps for different music. For my classic softer rock, a tube amp gives the nice warm tones, and when I'm listening to something harder, a chip amp gives the right tones for that.

But as to the 2.5TB HDD's
You could store algorithims for actual analogue music, and get an acceptable number of songs on it. You would then get the quality of good vinyl, without the problems. With the ability to then use whatever sound output you wanted.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 27th September, 2006, 10:11 AM

Sure you could store algorithms, but you'd still need to output them, which means the same limitations as you currently have, as you'd have to convert them to PCM data in order to perform a digital to analog conversion.
Old 27th September, 2006, 09:35 PM
Member/Contributer

Would there be no way to mathmatically model the standing wave, then output it through something like a fast modulating signal generator directly in analogue form?

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H