AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2006, 07:45 PM

HD DVD vs. Blu-ray: The battle continues

But it seems HD DVD is winning...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4195

Today Craig Kornblau of Universal Studios spoke against Sony's Blu-ray standard in favour of HD DVD, calling this last one the "hands down" winner in next generation movie formats.
As the article mentiones, this is very likely related to a head to head comparison on both standards in terms of image quality done by High-Def Digest.

Read the articles

Some side info:
http://www.aacsla.com/press/

I basically get the feeling that whoever has the best lobby entourage seems to be the most likely candidate to win the fight for next gen storage.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2006, 08:29 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Honestly, I prefer Blu-Ray just because it's superior, if more expensive. However, I have nowhere need the funds or need for either, as I only have a 27inch Cathode Ray Tube non-HD, regular ol' TV.

I'd rather have a nice video card and processor, than pay ~$2000 on a good LCD/Plasma TV, ~$500-1000 on a BD / HD-DVD player, and so on. Hell, $2500 will get me a nice computer with a HD tuner, and maybe I could even throw in a 23 inch LCD monitor with some nice surround sound.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2006, 09:23 PM

how is blu-ray superior? anyway I think nethier is wining the market is slow for both probly with the slowing economy poeple don't want to drop that sort of money on something like that.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 18th September, 2006, 09:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/images/frontpage.gif
Old 18th September, 2006, 10:19 PM

Woohoo
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 20th September, 2006, 02:23 AM

i alwase thougth that blue-ray was better, as in more space, but because hd dvd was based more on existing tech, it was cheaper for them to shift production and therefor sell

but that review seems to say that the hd dvd is better, (the drives at least), but blue-ray is cheaper

im confused
Old 20th September, 2006, 04:43 AM

I know Blu-Ray is more expensive. I'm pretty certain of that. But I think read/write times on Blu-Ray are worse than on HD-DVD. Someone filled up an entire single layer Blu-Ray with data on a prototype burner and it took nearly an hour. Now, true, going at 25 gigs per hour is better than current tech, but it may be slower than an HD-DVD burner.

Of course, both formats are in their infancy, and after they mature more will be much more efficient and effective.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 20th September, 2006, 09:06 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Are there any HD-DVD burners yet? Does anyone remember single speed CD-writers? Look where we are now!
Old 20th September, 2006, 09:16 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Got a 4x cd-rewriter at home
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 20th September, 2006, 02:15 PM

I have a 1x writer in my second box. Owned,
Old 20th September, 2006, 09:04 PM

My old school had a 4x and the "mini" computer that controled the bell system used casste tapes. which was probly why the bells never went off on time. It was also the size of a refrigerator
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 18th October, 2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Are there any HD-DVD burners yet? Does anyone remember single speed CD-writers? Look where we are now!
Aedan, that's what I've been waiting so hard for. The HD-DVD external players are everywhere but the HD-DVD PC Drive... I don't understand what the deal is. If you are going to release external player, why not release the PC Drive version? I know they are still in format war with the Blu Ray. The Blu Ray PC Drives are already out. I'm getting tired of waiting for the HD-DVD version to be released..
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 18th October, 2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 24th October, 2006, 06:02 PM

This is rediculous.. They're planning for mass production on laptops equipped with HD-DVD drive and yet they do not have one single HD-DVD PC Drive for desktop for sale. If it's going to be release soon why not post the estimated release date? What's funny is that the "Blu-Ray" PC Drive is already available, I think it was release a month or so ago? Makes me mad.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 25th October, 2006, 12:46 AM
Member/Contributer

Its like the Betamax vs VHS war.

I also remember people staing VHS was better, Betamax was better, and when DVD came out, people stated Betamax was still better, and there is no point in changing.

while Betamax was probably better than early DVD's like HD-DVD is better than Blu ray, Blu ray uses a new process and it will take a small amount of time to get the writers correct.

HD-DVD uses the same distances as current DVD tech, and its not much more than a laser change to give higher definition, and therefore allow more data.

Blu ray uses a new process whereby the layers a far closer to the laser and therefore require new lenses and correction algorithms. This always takes time to get all the wrinkles out of.

HD-DVD will only be able to be played in HD-DVD players, it cannot support multiple formats, and will only every have a max of 45GB data to one disc.

Blu ray will be able to be multi player compatable, so you will be able to buy the discs for your current DVD player and later upgrade your player and/or TV to play the higher definition Blu ray. It also allows multiple layers, so going above the industries current 2, and therefore far greater than 50GB will be able to be stored. Current thinking is around 4 layers giving the disc up to 100GB storage.

For HD-DVD the media will be cheaper to produce, using different materials but basically the same manufacturing technique as current DVD's. Also once media starts hitting the 45GB limit, another new media format will have to come about. As we are hitting the speed limits of moving discs this 45GB limit may make it easy to then change the consumer from disc storage to say ROM cartridge storage.

Blu Ray will be more expensive to start off with - but like DVD, and now DL DVD it will decrease in price, probably much faster than original DVD media did. Due to its ability to hold far more data, and more than 2 layers, another change from disc, to say solid state, will be pushed further out, and therefore a longer period of stability for the customer.

Now Sony are putting Blu ray in PS3 and MS HD-DVD into the xBox, may make the entire thing dependent on the console war. Or they could both be around neither winning. Kind of like the DVD+R, DVD-R of now.

Personally I hope for Blu ray, the larger storge, and longer period before another change, will make it worth while.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 25th October, 2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 25th October, 2006, 01:07 AM

HD-DVD is not in the X360. However I think that it will go like with VHS, it will go HD-DVD and die out eventuly something else will replace it. Maybe a flash drive vid? Anyway Blu-Yar is still harder to make then HD-DVD. HD-DVD can also have three layers. So if we can improve upon 15GB per layer. Not only that but blu-ray players are much more expensive and not much cheaper. Im putting my bet with HD-DVD. Of course if there wasnt all this gay pattent stuff then wecould come out with a nice hybrid of both.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 25th October, 2006, 04:08 AM
Member/Contributer

My mistake, not in but later as a peripheral.

Yes Toshiba has announced 3 layers, at 15GB each for HD DVD, and the Blu-ray association has announced up to 200GB should be possible.

A hybrid would be nice, especially with the hard coating being put onto the Blu-ray disc's, and the seeming cheapness of the HD DVD's

But Blu-ray is out first, and with writable media. I also found this from sony.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 25th October, 2006, 04:30 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

But wait! I thought we weren't supposed to copy content from the airwaves?
Old 25th October, 2006, 04:38 AM
Member/Contributer

Most countries allow you to copy something as long as you delete it after. You are also allowed to copy certain programs.

Early DVD recorders (which didn't come with re-writable discs) got around this by always having a video camera port, quick record function for them, and a warning.

It seems to be generally accepted to record programs you wish to see at a later time though.

Mostly this came about because the blank VHS and Betamax tapes only had a finite lifespan (try using those old tapes and see how good they are), and cheap media could literally have a lifetime of weeks for something that was recorded before electronic interference would distort the recording so it was unviewable. Coupled with older TV's with not as good EMI shielding and storing your tapes close to the TV, you got a few weeks if you were lucky.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 25th October, 2006, 10:47 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
Blu ray uses a new process whereby the layers a far closer to the laser and therefore require new lenses and correction algorithms. This always takes time to get all the wrinkles out of.
Sony had prototype working Blu-ray equipment back in 2003, and were demonstrating it. As far as the original post goes, the comparisons are being done against the encoding/decoding process rather than storage media. Therefore, to base HD-DVD against Blu-ray on the basis of two players is poor and might indicate some bias (or very bad understanding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
Current thinking is around 4 layers giving the disc up to 100GB storage.
TDK have already demonstrated double speed 100GB Blu-ray discs. They had prototypes back in May 2005. TDK also claim a 200GB Blu-ray writable prototype which should be good too! 45GB is a bit small by comparison.

Last edited by Áedán; 25th October, 2006 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
blu-ray