AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th September, 2006, 03:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

USBCELL batteries recharge through USB port

DVHardware has a brief look at a slick little battery charger that plugs into your USB port:

"The new USB NiHM batteries from USBCELL will certainly be able to make our life a bit easier. These batteries can be used like a normal battery but they make recharging devices redundant because they can be recharged simply by putting into a USB port."

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1217/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2006, 03:55 AM

saw this on G4. seems interesting, but I hope they come out with them in 9v. also I hope thier the same size as normal.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2006, 05:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Charging a 9-volt battery will be a bit trickier. The USB port has 5v on it, so to charge a 1.5v battery, all you need is a resistor to trickle current into the cell. To charge a 9v battery, you actually need some active electronics to form a voltage multiplier. Not difficult to do, but it does cost more money.
Old 24th September, 2006, 06:15 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

More money, more money, more money. That's what it's all about!
Old 24th September, 2006, 06:37 PM
Projector Wizard

lol, in this case I agree.

I wouldnt ever plug a battery into a USB port to recharge.
If the battery were to draw more current than your USB controller can supply (through a fault etc), it could damage your PC.

I anticipate the USB batteries will hold less charge as the battery area isnt as long as conventional ones.

Its so easy to use a proper charger plugged into a mains socket, I dont see much need for these batteries. The only circumstance is if you are out somewhere and your batteries run flat, a PC is often available to help out. Do you have enough time with the PC and before you need the batteries to get a decent recharge though?

If you need 4 batteries charged, will there be enough ports and enough space to fit all 4 batteries?
The USB batteries may not be rechargable in a normal charger.
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 24th September, 2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 24th September, 2006, 06:58 PM
AOA Staff

I can see these being more useful to us lot accross the pond. The mains voltage is different in different countries in Europe. So, if you can charge AA batts up from your laptop USB, that saves having to acquire and carry round a battery charger.

In general, having various gadgets which can charge from USB is good. Means you only have to ensure that your laptop can plug in to different voltages and not have to worry about the rest.
Old 24th September, 2006, 08:26 PM
Projector Wizard

good point if you travel over here.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 26th September, 2006, 05:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Tee hee, I can imagine that the battery power icon on a laptop would head south mighty quickly if you were charging four of these USB batteries and not running the machine on mains power.
Old 26th September, 2006, 05:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Tee hee, I can imagine that the battery power icon on a laptop would head south mighty quickly if you were charging four of these USB batteries and not running the machine on mains power.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Running a wireless NIC, a laptop cooler via the USB port, with folding running, and charging three or four batteries via the USB would probably cause that old power meter to visibly drop.
Old 26th September, 2006, 07:45 PM
AOA Staff

I think plugging the laptop in would be key here. Especially given the batteries occasional tendancy to catch fire!
Old 26th September, 2006, 08:48 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

My cell phone (moto-slvr) only has a mini USB port.... It is used for charging, data, and headset.

As a result, I've gotten into the habit of just leaving the USB cable on my desk, while connected to my PC... I use it for my camera, but now I connect my phone, and it charges up almost as fast as with the normal charger. Gotta love new toys.