AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2006, 06:29 AM
Breakout Champion

Look what i dug up......

I ran across one of my dads old PC's and took these out of it while i was taking it apart( i want the case ), thought these pics would bring back old memories for some of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Look what i dug up......-new-pics-015.jpg   Look what i dug up......-new-pics-014.jpg  
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2006, 08:05 AM

Haha nice one, I have a room at work that is just full of old stuff like that, for some insane reason we dont through it all away :P
Old 28th September, 2006, 09:39 AM
Breakout Champion

Yeah, i am sure i wont keep this stuff, unless someone wants it for some odd reason. I just thought i would share it on here for a trip down memory lane. I also have a Midiman sound card, and an old D-link ethernet card, and an old tape drive, a couple 2x cd drives, a 250w PSU, and the Dell motherboard that was home to all this stuff. I just wanted the case it was all in. I plan on modding the case.....it has an interesting vertical hard drive mounting system that is removable, and a couple other interesting features. I will try to post some pics of it soon, as i plan on starting the mod project very soon and using it for my next build, but i probably wont start gathering components for the build until early next year, probably when my tax return comes in, so my choices for Conroe MB's, etc. will be more varied and hopefully cheaper than they are now.
Ubuntu

Last edited by NarkotikBuzz; 28th September, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2006, 07:27 PM
AOA Staff

I got an old computer from a friend and tore it apart.
Inside I found an old Voodoo Graphics card. I don't know what version and I've never had one before, but I have heard several people mention them. This computer had the same kind of processor mount and it was a Pentium III. Isn't the processor permanently soldered to the board?
I'm not sure what they are good for today... maybe a firewall computer?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 28th September, 2006, 10:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I think I have those laying round as well.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 28th September, 2006, 11:29 PM

I still have my Banshee 9850 =)
Old 28th September, 2006, 11:46 PM
Breakout Champion

Strange the stuff we hold on to isnt it. I am glad that processors dont have those slot mounts anymore, they took up so much space once you added a heatsink and maybe a fan. The one i have is passively cooled though. It was a good computer in its day, i remember playing DOOM for the first time on a rig like that......mmmm, memories.
Ubuntu

Old 29th September, 2006, 01:58 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Voodoo" was a cool name that stuck in folks's brains. I still have a PCI Voodoo Vidcard. Never know when a PCI vidcard will come in handy.
Old 29th September, 2006, 04:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The HS size was intentional. With a slot, you could accomodate massive heatsinks allowing for quiet PCs. I had a dimension from the same time frame. Is the case plastic on the outside with shielding on the inside? I love that case, made by palo alto. Since it is plastic, it is light, and does a good job dampening the noise. If you still have the PSU, throw it away. The dells back then crossed wires so if you try to boot up a standard mobo with it, it will literally blow out both the mobo and the PSU.

Also, the mobo connecters to the front panel are proprietary as well. You can cut the connector to the front panel (looks like a floppy cable) and wire to the new mobo. I did it a couple of years back, and with a bit of patience, didn't take too long.

EDIT: Almost forgot... The back panel is proprietary as well. The size of the backplate is actually slightly small. If you fit a mobo, make sure it will fit. Mobos with sound connects mounted perpendicular to the mobo will NOT fit the space.

Last edited by SteveI; 29th September, 2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 29th September, 2006, 05:43 PM
Steve Jobs

Tell you what, If you see any VooDoo 2 12MB cards around, keep hold of them. They are becomming collector's items. A mint condition matched pair of Guilmont (sp?) Voodoo 2 12MB cards for SLI sold on ebay in Australia for about the same money as a 6800GT.

They are getting rarer and rarer. The two I have sitting here were in a Celeron 300A / 440BX / PC150 BGA Kingmax / Awe64 Gold nostalgia machine I built many years ago, and at this point, I'm contemplating having them cleaned, mounted on some black velvet, and put in a frame side by side, perhaps with the 300A in between them.

What a piece of geek art that would make.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 29th September, 2006, 06:53 PM
Metal Wizard

I am a piece saver too!! I just can't help it. When I was a boy and built models I hung them from the ceiling in my room well now it is old puter parts. My wife absolutely hates it!! So Mat and I are thinking of some type of case for them. Just can't throw them away

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 29th September, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 29th September, 2006, 07:34 PM
Steve Jobs

If the females in my life can collectively decide to COLLECT / HOARD any type of antique / retro / rare TupperWare, then I'll keep as much computer history as I can.

A Voodoo 2 is easily the most historically significant video card ever. Its the Corvette split-window coupe, the BMW 3.0CSL, the Mercedes 300SL, the Miura of the video card world. Not the first by any means, but the most significant.

Similarly, all these old pieces of hardware are uniquely special in their own way.

Far more significant than a 1972 TupperWare Dip'N'Serve with a burp seal.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 29th September, 2006, 08:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Has anyone counted how many form factors we've been through in the last 10 years?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th September, 2006, 12:19 AM
Breakout Champion

Yes, the case i have is plastic with metal shielding inside, but by the time i am done cutting on it, and modding it out, it will be a different case completely. I also have a more modern Dell case that i can mess around with as well....its from my Dimension 4400 from just a few years ago....not sure what i could do to it, but i might get creative with it one of these days.
Ubuntu

Last edited by NarkotikBuzz; 30th September, 2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 30th September, 2006, 09:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ahh, nostalgia. How many form factors? Eep, can't count them right now, pain pill impaired. K6, K62. Socket 7, Socket A, P, P2, P3, P4, LGA-775. Slockets, loved one of the Celly 300A's I had. Permanently severed the required pins to avoid any possibility of overvoltage and instant death. Magnifier and a jeweler's hand drill, those were the days. P II envy, root beer budget. Waiting in line at 4 AM in downtown Seattle for the chance of a free Athlon XP and a mobo to go with it. Daniel ~ was there, neither of us won. AMD gave out only a few m'boards and 'Athalons.' And so on.
Old 30th September, 2006, 09:32 PM
Steve Jobs

Socket 7 was Cyrix M2, Cyrix several others, IDT winchips, K6, K6-2, K6-3, pentiums

Socket 370 was Pentium 3, Celeron, VIA, Cyrix

Socket A is still alive

Slot 1 for Pentium 2 Celeron, Tualatin, Pentium 3

Slot 2 for Xeons

Socket 423 For P4 Willys

Socket 478 for Later P4s

Socket T for even later P4s

Not by any means extensive but it gets you there.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th September, 2006, 10:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah the memories, the memories....
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th October, 2006, 12:49 PM
Curveball Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Mahjong. Champion, Virus 2 Champion, King of the Hill Champion, Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion, Zelda Champion

Not so old for me - I was using one of these until about 4 months ago. Hehe.

The heatsink off the TNT2 worked quite well as a chipset cooler on the new system too, after a bit of work with the drill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I open my eyes I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion, and I must despise the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.

- Beethoven
Old 4th October, 2006, 01:33 PM
Steve Jobs

Ghetto cooling 4TW!
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 4th October, 2006, 01:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Socket 7 was Cyrix M2, Cyrix several others, IDT winchips, K6, K6-2, K6-3, pentiums
Socket 0 through to Socket 3, and Socket 6 were 486. Socket 4 was the original Pentium (60/66MHz) processors. Socket 5 was the later faster Pentiums. Socket 7 and Super Socket 7 were as dsio listed. Socket 8 was Pentium Pro (just disposed of a dual processors Pentium Pro machine incidently)

Socket 499 is hard to find, but technology from here ended up in Slot A and Socket A.

Incidently, Intel will stop making 386 processors in September next year (2007). I know that some 386 processors were socketted, but I have no idea what the socket was.