AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th October, 2006, 01:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

New build finally

Looking at a new build. Going AM2 due to price and upgradability. I am a big DFI fan as my current board has served the battle and done great. Input is accepted and encouraged.

I am not building a monster here. I want something faster that what I have and that will OC great. Plus I guess I should get somewhat up to date...So please don't show me 400 dollar cpu's or video cards...

Not sure on video yet. Prices will continue to fall. I will be buying this a peice at a time so I will wait until last to pick up a video card. Please feel free to suggest video cards. From what I underestand I can mod this board to SLI. So I will eventually buy a second card for a speed upgrade later.

Thanks guys...

DFI Board

AM2 Cpu

OCZ DDR2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2006, 06:46 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Not sure on that board - the 939 version could be modded, I am not sure if DFI/nVidia stopped the mod working on the AM2 version.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2006, 07:58 PM

I will have to do a little more digging. I thought one of the reviews said it would work...

The only other AM2 DFI board is 200 bucks....Trying to keep the cost down..
Old 11th October, 2006, 06:36 AM

No preference for Nv or ATI GPU's? ie: whatever's fastest/cheapest?
Old 11th October, 2006, 12:11 PM

I have been looking still. I am getting mixed feelings on AM2 and 939. The boards available for 939 are great. Since AM2 is so new I am worried about all the bugs I might run into.

I was looking at this CPU

A little more which supprises me but it might be a better performer.

And maybe this MOBO

Last edited by Samuknow; 11th October, 2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11th October, 2006, 01:39 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I think that 939 actually does still make sense, if you, like me, will build a complete system, and then, when the time comes, build another, rather than swapping in a new CPU or faster RAM.

As 939 performance is close to AM2 at the moment, and is a bit cheaper, I think it's a clever buy.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 11th October, 2006, 02:04 PM

I can always go AM2 after it matures. I like the board selection better for 939.

I will be saving my pennies....
Old 11th October, 2006, 05:08 PM

The DFI Ultra-D w. some DDR500 RAM would be a good choice I think, since that mobo is one of the few that can get the full speed from the DDR500.

And why not an Opteron 165/170/175/180? They're excellent o/c'ers, and they've dropped a lot in price recently.

Well, at least that's what I would do right now for a reasonable-cost system.

The GPU, now that's another can of worms!
Old 11th October, 2006, 06:13 PM

I do like the Opty's...I was thinking dual core though. Not sure why. Is there any reason to go to dual core over an Opty?
Old 12th October, 2006, 04:19 AM

Opteron's are dual core, but generally better tested than their DC counterparts and hence generally better overclockers.
Old 12th October, 2006, 04:51 AM

Why not AM2? This way you can grab your DDR2 now, and hang onto it instead of buying more later down the road.

Otpy 1210 maybe?
Old 12th October, 2006, 12:18 PM

Have you priced good DDR2?

I have been looking at AM2. Cpus are a good price. I just don't see the board I want yet. After looking I realize that this SKT is still a little new and there are things to be worked out.

aztec61-
I did not realize that the Optys were DC. I will start digging. Thanks.
Old 12th October, 2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow

aztec61-
I did not realize that the Optys were DC.
Oh hail yass they are, and they o/c like banshees! The 170 I sold, (it was a CCBWE 0550UPMW) the guy wrote me back saying how he got it to 2.74GHz without trying too hard (air cooled & relatively small voltage increase). OK, well that's what...a 37% o/c?!! *Holy Shiite Batman!* Many of the 100-series would do 2.9 or over 3GHz with heavier cooling + more voltage.

But you have to get certain steppings - not all of them were so great.

For example, here's a partial list of good steppings for the 170:

Known good steppings that are capable of 3ghz:
CCB1E 0550VPMW
CCBWE 0550UPMW
CCB1E 0605XPMW
CCB1E 0606VPMW
CCB1E 0608MPMW
CCB1E 0609FPAW
CCB1E 0609FPMW
CCBBE 0610DPMW
CCBBE 0615DPMW

Honorable Mention:
CCBWE 0530TPMW (2.9ghz avg.)
CCBWE 0546XPMW (2.85ghz avg.)
CCBWE 0609FPAW (Unconfirmed precise averages, but seems to be 2.8-2.9)

AVOID if you want to hit 2.8ghz+:
CCBWE 0534SPMW
CCBWE 0543TPMW
CCBWE 0546MPMW
CCBWE 0551 (Any packing code) (2.7-2.75ghz 1.55v)
CCBWE 0602 (Any packing code)
CCBWE 0607 (Any packing code) (2.65ghz 1.55v)

Last edited by aztec61; 12th October, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12th October, 2006, 03:28 PM

New Build

How can I get the stepping before I buy?. I don't find it in the specifications(Opteron 170 @ NewEgg).

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 12th October, 2006, 03:39 PM

Well, there's the rub. Sometimes you can call a dealer and ask them outright, but most will tell you that they can only send what they have in stock, and/or won't bother to look at the actual chips to tell the stepping code. So it's a crap shoot.

BUT, even if you get one that is not an uber-o/c'er, you'll still get very good o/c's out of most Opty's.

Not to diss Newegg, but there are other places on the planet to buy your comp parts from that are just as reliable to deal with, and priced as good or better than at 'egg. I bought my 170 from Monarch Computer Systems, and I know quite a few good steppings came from them. I don't know what all they have left, but it's worth a try.

Also try ZipZoomFly, TigerDirect, MWave, Outpost.com, etc. Actually, go to www.pricewatch.com to see a listing of who has what in stock, and prices.

For example, say you search for "opteron 170" on pricewatch. You find one at eWiz.com for $224.22, newegg for $229.99, and Monarch for $367.98. BUT, sometimes Monarch or ZZF will have coupon deals too, which you can often find in the [H]ot Deals section of [H]ard Forums.

At the time I bought the 170, I saved $50. on a coupon deal from Monarch, so the final delivered price was $372.

Last edited by aztec61; 12th October, 2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 13th October, 2006, 06:15 PM

So I need to buy first and find out later. That's OK, you can't go wrong wit AMD, specially w Optys.

I use NewEgg for the description of the hardware and the links to the manufacturer page. I get most of toys from TigerDirect, Overcool and sometimes Ebay. Monarch charge too much for delivery and the last time I chk ZipZoom Fly didn't deliver to PR. Thanks for the tip and the other sites.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 14th October, 2006, 02:15 AM

Any time! Good Luck!