AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th October, 2006, 08:46 AM
OcBible Creator

Discussion for CPU burn-in

Here at XtremeSystems is the main thread where I started posting.
It includes tutorials about CPU Stretcher etc...
I would like to discuss with you your impressions.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MrSeanKon; 10th October, 2006 at 08:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th October, 2006, 11:05 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

where?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th October, 2006, 08:15 AM
OcBible Creator

GKR
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Before completing my post LOL local electricity broken down for a couple of hours!
Sorry men!
Link works in previous post!
Old 10th October, 2006, 04:52 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

"Burn-In" works for a couple of reasons.

On current cpu's, there's a heatspreader. Under this chunk of metal is some sort of Thermal Interface Material. As this material gets hot, it softens, and penetrates into the cracks and crevices of the IHS, making contact between teh cpu and the IHS better. SO, running a cpu @ high temps facilitates this process.

This is even more apparant, at least in my own "experiments", with cpu's that are soldered, rather than simply having a paste-based TIM.
These cpu's need higher temps in order to soften the solder, and thereby benefit more from "burn-in".

I've also experimentsed with no-IHS cpu's...tossing them in the oven, and slowly raising temps, 1 degree @ a time(or that's what I had hoped for, but my oven does not have such "granularity"). In this instance, you can create better contact between the actual silicon core, and the pcb it's mounted to, by softening the solder attaching the two devices. Thankfully, because of surface tension, worries about shorting out the cpu are minimal, as long as temps don't get too high.

Your process, MrSeanKon, aids these processes. As you run through your test, trying to find a max, the cpu heats up....blah, blah, blah. This is why results must be obtained with a new cpu, and not an older one...the thermal interface material or solder has already been stressed, and can only flow into so many places.

Last edited by cadaveca; 10th October, 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12th October, 2006, 08:19 AM
OcBible Creator

Very technical presentation cadaveca!
Well in 5th page of XS thread fakhrain asked about this but I had a different opinion than yours.
LOL since my SanDiego did not gain anything of burn-in LOL I will stretch him with very high temperatures!
LOL data corruptions are coming LOL.......