AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th October, 2006, 12:41 PM

Jet powered laptop developed

thats correct, a laptop powered by a jet

By Nick Farrell: Monday 02 October 2006, 07:17

AN AERONAUTICS and astronautics boffin at MIT has come up with a cunning plan to stick a jet engine in a laptop.
According to the Star, Alan Epstein wants to stick micro jet engines to power electronic devices from laptops to radios.

His idea involves sticking together six silicon wafers, which are etched so that the spaces between them produce a gas turbine engine.

Epstein says that his laptop would run somewhere between 15 and 30 hours on jet power. So far Epstein and a team of about 20 have created and tested each of those six wafers, a miniature compressor, combustion chamber, turbine, generator and the like. The next trick is to get them to work as an integrated unit.

When it works he thinks it will generate between 10 and 100 watts of power. Apparently, Epstein dreamt up the whole thing while he was bored during jury service, we just hope that someone didn't get the death penalty when he had his breakthrough.

sorce

enginehttp://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34794
Old 9th October, 2006, 12:50 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I do wonder how silicon is supposed to handle combustion at 1200C without oxidising?

Attached below is a picture of one of the components for the gas-turbine from MIT.
Attached Thumbnails
Jet powered laptop developed-microeng-gold-enlarged.jpg  
Old 9th October, 2006, 02:50 PM

A, could it be a hybred silicon? I would think ceramic would work. oh, about
the heat? at 1200C, it has to go somewhere. just the exhaust from my
laptop is annoying.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th October, 2006, 06:12 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

I read something about this a few years ago. About how batteries are dying and jet fuel will power electronics.

Still waiting for that one to come through. Still waiting.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!