AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November, 2006, 07:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

AMD disses mobo partners on 4x4 platform?

The Enquirer is reporting that AMD has managed to aggravate a number of its mobo partners by teaming with Asus as the sole supplier of the first motherboards for its 4x4 or 'Quadfather' platform.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1412/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2006, 09:32 PM

sad the one thing I liked about AMD was the mobo choice.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2006, 09:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I was just thinking that. I have used Asus in the past, but I would not want to be confined to a specific mobo.
Old 20th November, 2006, 09:48 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

This does suck

WHOA SAM! Your avatar is mesmirising!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 21st November, 2006, 12:05 AM

Asus produces a strong Intel lineup, but I personally havent liked their AMD variants for quite some time, I believe other companies (Epox being one of them) put out a better product less costly.

Shame to here AMD doing such a thing, not the smartest move in a time they no longer hold a speed crown.
Old 21st November, 2006, 03:19 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Asus produces a strong Intel lineup, but I personally havent liked their AMD variants for quite some time, I believe other companies (Epox being one of them) put out a better product less costly.

Shame to here AMD doing such a thing, not the smartest move in a time they no longer hold a speed crown.
Yeah, what the hell is wrong with AMD? I hope this is just a temporary "gotta get it into the stores" Christmas push sort of thing.
Old 23rd November, 2006, 02:59 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I dont see why it would be an xmas push though.

What is the target market for the 4x4 Quadfather ? it certainly isnt the home user! It's going to be high end workstation / business machines it'll be going up against the new lot of xeon workstations and the mac pro (also based on xeon's) which already have dual chip dual core systems and i think you can now pair up the quad core xeon's to get a 8 cpu system.
Old 23rd November, 2006, 08:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Yes, but can you OC Intel CPU's as well as AMD CPU's? Probably at a clock-for-clock rate yeah, but Intel's usually have a higher clock speed than AMD's anyway. Maybe not with the newer Intel chips but it's been a while since we've seen anything new from AMD (The last major thing from them was dual-core).

AMD Pairing with Asus though. So now we're gonna have a newer board that has a loud short-living 40mm fan that's gonna need to be replaced every other week that's gonna cost in excess of £150 as opposed to it being an open choice for the end-user?

Meh, maybe i'll have to invest in a new rig when prices come down. If they were only making dual-cores still....

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 23rd November, 2006, 09:38 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

£150 hehe try more like £200-250 for a 4x4 board, as i said they're going to be workstation class stuff.

As for the o/c err yeah the conroe's and allendales overclock alot. I have a 2.66GHz chip which is as quick as a 2.8GHz Fx62 when they are both at stock, the fx struggles to overlcock into the low 3GHz range, my conroe is pulling 3.73GHz without even breaking into a sweat, i can even boot windows at 3.95GHz thats quite some overclock.

The 2.4GHz chips hit the same sort of speeds as mine, the 2.93 xe chip goes past 4GHz, and the low end chips tend to get a 50% + overclock into the low 3GHz range, yes you can pick up a £120 1.86GHz chip that will do around 3GHz and be quicker than the best amd can offer
Old 23rd November, 2006, 11:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
£150 hehe try more like £200-250 for a 4x4 board, as i said they're going to be workstation class stuff.

As for the o/c err yeah the conroe's and allendales overclock alot. I have a 2.66GHz chip which is as quick as a 2.8GHz Fx62 when they are both at stock, the fx struggles to overlcock into the low 3GHz range, my conroe is pulling 3.73GHz without even breaking into a sweat, i can even boot windows at 3.95GHz thats quite some overclock.

The 2.4GHz chips hit the same sort of speeds as mine, the 2.93 xe chip goes past 4GHz, and the low end chips tend to get a 50% + overclock into the low 3GHz range, yes you can pick up a £120 1.86GHz chip that will do around 3GHz and be quicker than the best amd can offer
I'll go and sit in the corner quietly

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)