AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2002, 05:30 PM

Hard Drive FSB/Volt?

I would like to know which one is more likely to shorten a Hard Drive's life. Lately, I've had severe problems with my WD hard drives. Not knowing if it's my high FSB or my vcore set at 2.1. Or is a combination of them both. Thanks

Last edited by JAWS; 21st March, 2002 at 05:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2002, 05:49 PM
Banned

Higher CPU voltage would only draw more power from the PSU (unless this is a "hacked" volt mod that raised the voltages accross the entire system)... it's likely the high FSB is the culprit.
Old 21st March, 2002, 11:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

The VccCore voltage will have no effect on your harddisks.

I don't really suspect FSB alone is your problem either(WD harddrives tend to be some of the best for high FSB). Can you give us some more information about your system and the problems you're having?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2002, 12:13 AM

About 3 weeks ago, my HD suddenly died. It was only 6 months old, so I RMA'd the drive. After a fresh install on the new drive, I would get a blue screen right after the XP splash screen. It said the following file is corrupt. I think the file was windows/system32.hal.dll.

After numerous installs, the drive just stopped working. I sent it back and got another one. This time the drive lasted one night. I booted up the next morning and right after the splash screen the HD would make a clicking noise and reboot.

I'm on my third one, only running the FSB at 148. Hopefully nothing will happen. I think maybe it was the drives, because they looked like they had been through the ringer.
Old 22nd March, 2002, 04:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Well, what psu do you have? Maybe it could possibly be crapping out. Also, how stable is your OC? You could be getting memory errors that will ultimately lead to data corruption, but that wouldn't lead to a dead HHD. I received a lot of errors like that when I had an OC that wasn't 100% stable, but my harddrive still worked after a repair or reinstall. I'm guessing maybe your PSU is somehow crapping out.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 22nd March, 2002, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by satan
I'm guessing maybe your PSU is somehow crapping out.
That is one thing I've been looking at. I have an Antec 300W P/S. When I first got it, it ran circles around my Enermax 350. Lately, the 5v been hovering around 4.83.

Even if I set my vcore back to default, (1.75) it still stays around 4.85. As for my oc, it's rock stable. I run SETI all day long, without a glitch. P/S's got me worried.
Old 22nd March, 2002, 05:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Quote:
Originally posted by JAWS

That is one thing I've been looking at. I have an Antec 300W P/S. When I first got it, it ran circles around my Enermax 350. Lately, the 5v been hovering around 4.83.

Even if I set my vcore back to default, (1.75) it still stays around 4.85. As for my oc, it's rock stable. I run SETI all day long, without a glitch. P/S's got me worried.
If your 5v rail is the same at times of load and no load, then it is most likely a bad connection to the mobo. I highly doubt it from the high fsb, the only other thing I can think of is the PSU.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 25th March, 2002, 02:31 AM

I added a second p/s to my system yesterday, and I am very happy with the results. I've tried 153, but probably can get more. 5v is around 4.90 @ 2.10 vcore.