AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January, 2007, 03:33 AM

Hitachi HD's...what say ye?

Yeah, I know "IBM Deathstar" and all that crap. But some of the Hitachi Deskstar's look good and pretty fast for PATA 133. I like the large-capacity platter idea.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145126

Any experiences here with these? I'm not looking for the usual "I only buy x-brand HD's - they're the best", because I've used them all before except Samsung and Hitachi. Just opinions on the Hitachi's if you've used them please.
Old 6th January, 2007, 06:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

when the harddrive on my fujitsu died i replaced it with a hitachi.. and its the best replacement i put in that thing... never before has the computer felt so fast. it writes and reads REALLY fast and the it even boots up faster then it used too...

for laptop wise iam sold on hitachi and nothing else... never have i used a laptop that is faster and quieter then a hitachi.

BUT your using a desktop.. i rank them 3rd on my "to get list" for Desktop

First and second place for desktop harddrives are Seagate and Western Digital (both change back and forth because i have had problems with both and had good experiences with both)

I put Hitachi as 3rd only because of the old "Deathstar" sayig... but look at all those public schools and colleges with IBM computers.. those things are never turned off... quiet.. RELIABLE and last for YEARs... so idk.. i guess if this Sata Seagate goes out on me for the main rig. i'll try out Hitachi on Raid 0 just for the heck of it.
Old 7th January, 2007, 01:05 AM

my Hitachi hdds:

2x 120GB Deskstar IDE (one is running 24/7 since 09/2003)
2x 250GB 7K250-series SATA (2 years old)
2x 250GB T7K250-series SATA (1 year old)

never had a problem!
performance? I don't know, all drives are slower than my Raptor raid0
Old 10th January, 2007, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the input guys. So far from what I've been able to gather here and elsewhere, it seems the Hitachi's are no worse for reliability than the other brands.

gedon -

If I had the $, I'd have already bought a Raptor 74gig, oh yass! But in the past year or so, I no longer sink as much $ into comps as I once did (other priorities).

Last edited by aztec61; 10th January, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January, 2007, 08:01 PM

I use a Deskstar SATA 160 for about year then it fails. In the process of RMA(they will replace it, no problem). My Raptor 74 @ 10k fails before the Hitachi. Also RMA with out trouble.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2007, 03:08 PM

I guess I've been pretty lucky so far. I've never had a HD fail in all of the ones I've owned since the 1980's- Quantum, Seagate, WD, IBM, Maxtor. This is why I'm not very "brand-loyal" when it comes to HD's...they've all worked well for me.

The only drive that ever borked on me was a Toshiba CD drive in a PowerBook. But I think those particular Toshiba models were known to have problems at the time.

I think I'll go ahead and get one of the Hitachi's. Hopefully, it won't break my good luck streak!

Last edited by aztec61; 11th January, 2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11th January, 2007, 06:44 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I've got a Quantum Fireball running in my rig, it's been good to me for so many years
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home

Last edited by Got EpOx; 11th January, 2007 at 06:44 PM.