AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd February, 2007, 07:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Here we go again...

Hi all,
my new 2x512mb corsair arrived today. And what can i say, it's utter crud. Seriously, i can not get all 4 working together (the new 2 and the other 2 i have already). I've tried at stock, i've tried really loose timings and really low clocks. But it gets to Windows. Sometimes it comes up with a random error, or it BSOD's. I dunno what to do. I don't know if Corsair would be prepared to swap my 4x512mb for 2x1Gb's or not.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2007, 07:40 PM
AOA Staff

A few of us did say don't get 4 x 512MB when you asked for advice.

Anyhow, you might get lucky with Corsair. Their over-priced products do at least come with some back-up service. It's worth a shot.

Otherwise, sell them and buy 2 cheap 1GB sticks.

I'm using these and they work like a treat:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-046-GL
Old 2nd February, 2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
A few of us did say don't get 4 x 512MB when you asked for advice.

Anyhow, you might get lucky with Corsair. Their over-priced products do at least come with some back-up service. It's worth a shot.

Otherwise, sell them and buy 2 cheap 1GB sticks.

I'm using these and they work like a treat:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-046-GL
I know what you all said. But i didn't have the money to buy a 2x1Gb kit and i couldn't sell these one ebay, wait for money to go into my bank account, and then order, i'd end up just having to give a refund to the winning bidder. Plus it's a lot of messing about.

I've contacted Corsair about a swap, hopefully, they might see my problem and i might get lucky. I don't want to get my hopes up though. I explained that these 4 weren't working together and that for gaming and futureproofing, i could do with 2Gb.

Also, those GeIL you mentioned, what clock and timings have you got with them? Also, are they in dual-channel?

Cheers,
Scott.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2007, 09:31 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Running at 2T should solve the problem.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd February, 2007, 12:23 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
I know what you all said. But i didn't have the money to buy a 2x1Gb kit and i couldn't sell these one ebay, wait for money to go into my bank account, and then order, i'd end up just having to give a refund to the winning bidder. Plus it's a lot of messing about.

I've contacted Corsair about a swap, hopefully, they might see my problem and i might get lucky. I don't want to get my hopes up though. I explained that these 4 weren't working together and that for gaming and futureproofing, i could do with 2Gb.

Also, those GeIL you mentioned, what clock and timings have you got with them? Also, are they in dual-channel?

Cheers,
Scott.
They're running dual-channel, they will run at 1T command rate or I can overclock them to 220+ MHz. I haven't tried higher than that, so perhaps more than 220. That was at stock voltage.

I've not had a single hardware crash/BSOD since re-building with these sticks.
Old 3rd February, 2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
They're running dual-channel, they will run at 1T command rate or I can overclock them to 220+ MHz. I haven't tried higher than that, so perhaps more than 220. That was at stock voltage.

I've not had a single hardware crash/BSOD since re-building with these sticks.
Wow, sounds pretty good. Well ATM, i'm using the new sticks. I've discovered that it's my old sticks that don't OC as well. I've got the new ones at 2-3-3-5-1T Dual Channel at 238Mhz. And they're stable. If i remember correctly, they are at 2.84V. But things seem a lot smoother. Last night, in CellFactor, my FPS was definately higher.

AFAIK, they are based on infineon chips as opposed to promos (which i assume means from some sort of promotion). They're also a little bit wider/Chips a little bigger height-wise than my old ones. But they're definately a lot better.

I'm still waiting for Corsair to get back to me. If i can't swap them, then i'm gonna proably sell both of them.

But i'll try what you suggested Monkeyman.

EDIt: Nope, not solved it. Also tried mixing one from each pair and it was a little more stable but not stable enough.

Last edited by skool h8r; 3rd February, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 16th February, 2007, 03:06 PM

Well those new GeIL modules arrived today and already, wow! Even at 3-4-4-8-2T, BF2 maps load within seconds and the game unloads in about 2 when i want to exit. All settings at full (including 4xaa, 16xAF, 1280x1024, everything else at max) and it's still smooth. And it's managed the same clock speed as my Corsairs without a sweat. All of the maps in FearCombat are smooth (at 1024x768) rather than some that are terribly laggy with just 1 gig. Even the 2142 demo is smooth enough and nice enough to play at max. Now i just need some more games to play. Any suggestions? I don't want any rogue spear type of hard to control squad based FPS. I don't want anyone mentioning GRAW or any horror titles. FPS or racing only please. If it's got a demo, that's even better.

Oh yeah, next week, i'm adding an X-Fi to my rig so don't bother trying to sneak up behind me. Is there any major difference between using a XTreme Music, and an XTreme Gaming for BF2 or should i just get the cheaper?

Cheers,
Scott.

Old 16th February, 2007, 03:21 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I would get the Xtreme Music, I don't think the Gaming is worth the extra money in all honesty.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM