AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th February, 2007, 03:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Windows doesn't recognize my memory!

So I purchased a couple gigs of memory for my computer last week. The two FB-DIMMs came in today and I immediately installed them. Well, this brings my computer up to 3 GB of memory. The memory seems to work great; MacOS recognizes and takes advantage of it all.

However, Windows XP only sees 2048 MB. Somewhere, my third gigabyte is missing. About half of the reason I purchased this extra memory (aside from making my normal computing more enjoyable and speedy) was to play games under Windows XP. Now, two gigs of memory is good but I'd really rather have the whole thing.

Is this a problem with Windows XP that could be fixed or is it more likely a problem with the Boot Camp program that I use to boot into Windows? Any ideas sprout to mind on how to fix it?
Old 6th February, 2007, 11:41 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's not missing, but you explicitly have to tell XP to use all three GB of memory. This is due to backward compatibility with some older apps/drivers that won't work if there's 3GB of RAM in the system.

To do this: Go to control panel, open system properties. Select the Advanced Tab, and then click on the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery". You need to manually edit the startup options by clicking the "Edit" button. That will open Notepad, with the contents of the boot.ini file.

My boot.ini file looks like this:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
To make it recognise the extra 1GB of RAM, you need to add "/3GB" after "/fastdetect". In my case, it would make my boot.ini file look like the following:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /NoExecute=OptIn
Note: DO NOT COPY AND PASTE MY FILE IN. You need to edit your own file, otherwise your system may fail to start again!

Once you've made the change, save the file and close notepad. OK out of the system properties and restart your machine. You should then have 3GB of RAM to use.

Note: All alterations to your system are your responsibility. Whilst this normally works, there is the possibility that it could cause your machine to fail to boot Windows XP, dependant on drivers and applications.
Old 6th February, 2007, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

My boot.ini file already reads like such:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB
Still doesn't work. It's actually my understanding that Windows will recognize the memory up to 4GB but the /3gb switch is simply needed to let programs use up to 3gb of memory. However, I can't say I've ever had much use of a Windows computer that had this much memory in it, so I can't say for sure.

I did a little more digging around and it seems as though this is exclusive to the Mac Pro, leading me to believe it's not a Windows problem. You see, the new Intel Macs use EFI to boot. The Boot Camp software must then emulate BIOS in order to load Windows. Something leads me to believe that this bug is related to this emulation. Boot Camp is still in beta, so hopefully by the time the final version is released I'll be able to take advantage of the last GB of memory.
Old 6th February, 2007, 03:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Yeah, Boot Camp could be causing the issues.

I know that the 64bit versions of XP and 2003 require EFI support on Itanium. That's not much use to you though. Future versions of Vista will support the UEFI interface, although probably not 32bit versions. Why? MS feel that most PC vendors are not interested in UEFI for legacy 32bit platforms.

Last edited by Áedán; 6th February, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!