AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2007, 09:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Forcing everyday aps to run on the second core?

Is there any way to do this? I've found lately that with new patches making my games a bit more greedy, I lag quite a bit more, even with a gig of ram ( I know a gig is not a lot) and a 3800 X2. The games I play do not use multiple cores, and I was wondering if I could easily force the games to run on the second core?
Old 21st February, 2007, 09:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You can set the processor affinity from task manager, and force a process to run on a specific processor. However, this is manual and tedious. There is a tool called ImageCfg. It is actually included with the Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit, and presumably with later resource kits as well, and you can also download it from Microsoft directly, but the site above provides a reasonably good description of how to use it.

The tool will allow you to modify the affinity mask for an executable, thus ensuring that it will only run on the core you specify in the command line.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2007, 09:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I will have to try this. I will have my rig together this weekend. Also an X2 3800 on a DFI lanparty board. It would be great to "split" the load over both cores.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2007, 01:59 AM

If your refering to video lag, I get it in CS 1.6 and WC3....

setting an affinity seems to take care of it.
However I always have the app set to run on CPU1 as oppose to CPU0
Old 8th March, 2007, 08:38 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Download the AMD Dual core optimiser..

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 8th March, 2007, 08:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

i was always wondering what i could do with affinity settings. could i put everything on one core and all my game exe's on core two?
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w