AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th March, 2007, 09:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ultimate_death

Corsair Memory pairing

I think i read somethign here a while back about some memeory pairings being a bad idea, but i can't find it with the search so i'll just ask again

Should i get any difficulties running 4x256mb sticks of corsair xms pc3200, they come in two paired sets. (If any one's curious i'm considering buying like this to save money, it's far cheaper to get 256mb sticks).

Oh, and i'm using a Dfi lanparty nf4 sli-d motherboard.

Last edited by Ultimate_death; 10th March, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th March, 2007, 11:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Hi Ultimate_Death.
I had problems, it may be me who you are looking for. I tried to run 4 x 512Mb corsair modules, and they would not run at all, under any circumstances. They all worked fine on their own, they worked fine in pairs, but with 3 or 4 they wouldn't run stablely for more than a few minutes.

Also, if you can afford it, try and get 2x1Gb modules. You won't look back. It may be expensive, yes, but it is worth it. You can get DDR for about £100GBP which equates to about $195USD.

Or if you really can't afford it, then i would recommend 2x512Mb. The Corsair is good, i managed to get 234Mhz, with timings of 2.5-2-2-5-T at 2.9V (AFAI can remember). I don't know if you know much about this sort of thing, but that's good! For DDR400/PC3200, that's awesome!

So i would strongly advise against 4x256Mb as it'll just cost you time, and if the retailer doesn't pay for shipping items back, it'll cost you more in the end.

HTH,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th March, 2007, 12:45 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

I think part of the problem is often if the sets of memory are bought at different times, a different batch of chips is used or the PCB is a newer revision and problems can occur, if you buy them all at once the they should be fine.

The only main issue with 4 sticks is that some of the older A64 CPUs will only allow 2T operation, the newer ones are likely to be just fine at 1T.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 10th March, 2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks

The thing is, i can get a really good deal on getting memory like this, and i'm stuck on 512mb at the moment. My budget is basically non-existant, so we're talking second hand here, so does that mean if they worked together with the previous user, they should be ok?

Plus, are the issues going to stop me using all four, or can i just force it to run at 2T, and it'll work?

UPDATE: I decided i may as well go cheap properly and avoid the issues of 4 sticks, so i got a single 1gb stick cl2.5 pc3200 for £28, then i can just replace it properly when i get some money.

Last edited by Ultimate_death; 10th March, 2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10th March, 2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_death
UPDATE: I decided i may as well go cheap properly and avoid the issues of 4 sticks, so i got a single 1gb stick cl2.5 pc3200 for £28, then i can just replace it properly when i get some money.
Wow! what brand and where from?

Old 10th March, 2007, 07:08 PM

Not so wow, cas3.0 not 2.5, but still good for now. It's Kingston, which means it should be decent enough.

I got it from a friend who had me upgrade his pc a while back, so didn't need it anymore. (Btw, I'm not just going around ripping my firends off , he knew how much it was worth but couldn't care less.)
Old 10th March, 2007, 07:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

From what I read, 4 Dimms are ALWAYS dodgy.
Old 13th March, 2007, 05:56 PM

Ouch Kingston. I remember having a U3 flash drive made by them. Ouch. But, i dare say their memory is better than the U3 software.

And yeah, 4 DIMMS are very dodgy. For one, it forces you to use 2T Timing, at least with A64's. 2T is very bad! I'd choose 1T over low CAS latency, at least NFSMW was completely smooth, as opposed to a =< 10ms pause every second or so, which is what 2T is doing to me.

But, i live and learn.

But yeah, 4 DIMMS = The biggest no-no in modern day computing and system building.

Old 13th March, 2007, 06:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I seem to have good and bad ram from nearly all of them....
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th March, 2007, 10:03 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

U3 is not a Kingston product, they simple liscence it for use with some of thier USB drives.

That being said, 4x256MB is basically the same as 2x512mb, to the memory controller. The issue at hand is the number of banks that have to be addressed. This means, virtually, banks are 256mb in size. 1GB sticks have 4 banks. some Corsair sticks, however, use 2 banks for each 256mb, as this can increase bandwidth a bit. this means this is the equivalent of 4x512mb sticks...and far to omany banks for AMD's memorycontrller to address. singlesided 256mb sticksx4, or 512mbx4 singlesided are ok, tho, as this totals 8 banks.

what happens is that the drivestrength and such is tied to the cpu voltage. so cpu-volts limit the functionality of the memory controller. This is why the split-plane for Barcelona is so important....
Old 16th March, 2007, 06:20 PM

The memory arrived today, and i thank you all for advising me against 4 slots. On it's own i ran the memory through an entire sweep of memtest86, which was fine at the default settings 400MHz 3-3-3-8. But trying to get even two slots working in the nf4 is hell but eventually after much reordering of memory in other pcs, so i ended up with a stick that would work, i struck gold (in a very budget, low expectation sense).

I've got the memory running at 400MHz 2.5-3-3-8 with the 1gb stick i just bought and another 512mb stick. I'm 55% through the memtest86 right now, so i'm hoping this'll work and i'll have finally escaped from the pagefilling hell hole i was in (at least till stalker arrives...)