AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th June, 2007, 03:59 PM

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 issue fixed?

FWIW:

For those who might be interested in a large PSU like the Cooler Master RPP 850 I mentioned on another thread, here's a mfg's response posted on newegg:

Quote:
Manufacturer Response:We apologize that you are currently experiencing a problem with your 850W PSU. We have found that the 850W PSU has some compatible issues with certain Motherboards. We found the problem that was caused by the min. load limit and voltage regulation, this is not a comprehensive compatible problem with all kinds of system.
This issue has been fixed and improved for the next shipment.
1) We revised the "L6" from 10 turns to 20 turns from the original 850W.

2) How do you know if the version you have is the updated modified version?
Check the box, and if it has the “80PLUS” sticker on it, it means the PSU is the corrected version.
So if this issue has been worked out, I think it would be a very good PSU for power-hog systems - like running HD 2900 XT's in Crossfire. (Now why would you want to do that?)

The internal components looked high-quality from what I could see, as were the cables, connectors, and sleeving, and the 135mm fan itself was impressive. You get 2 transformers and 6 separate, dedicated +12V rails, not just 2 or 3 rails tied together and given 6 outputs. The cable bundle is comprehensive and massive so make sure you have plenty of real estate in your case!

Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to test it since it wouldn't boot the machine, and I didn't check for the "80Plus" sticker on the box b/c I didn't know about it.

It's a nice looker tho'!! I can say that the "black nickel" finish is really stunning in person.

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/cm850_1.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/cm850_2.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/cm850_3.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/cm850_4.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/cm850_5.jpg

One might ask why I would even think of putting such a PSU in such a puny system. Well, something like this will be for my next rig.

Last edited by aztec61; 7th June, 2007 at 05:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th June, 2007, 06:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Is it too late to RMA the puppy and ask for the updated version?
Old 8th June, 2007, 03:53 AM

Oh heck, I took it back to CompUSA the other day and told them to eat it. Swapped/refunded it for the current Antec. The Trio was on sale for $69.99 and I didn't want the Neo HE they had or the others. I needed to get this system back online pronto since my new Silverstone had been borked by an AC line demon.

When the Corsair arrives tomorrow, (assuming it checks out OK) I'll take the Antec back and show them how it's low on the +12V if they care to see. Then they can keep that one too.

However, I won't give up on considering the CM 850 in the future for a high-power rig if the 3.3V quirk is actually solved. Apparently this doesn't phase every mobo but the little ASRock was having none of it. Then once the price comes down a notch or two, I think it will be a very decent PSU.

Last edited by aztec61; 8th June, 2007 at 04:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th June, 2007, 04:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec61
When the Corsair arrives tomorrow, (assuming it checks out OK) I'll take the Antec back and show them how it's low on the +12V if they care to see. Then they can keep that one too.
Is this as measured by the mobo voltage sensors, or as measured by a real live volt meter?

If it's as measured by the mobo sensors, I'd be more than a little suspicious of the reading. I've seen the same mobo show different readings for the same PSU under different loads, when the same voltage was actually present under both conditions as measured by a $20 DVM, a $250 bench DVM, and an oscilloscope. I've also seen the same mobo show different one PSU higher than another PSU, when the above instruments showed the reverse condition to be true.

In short, I don't use mobo sensors for comparison. If I am truly interested in what is going on, I use an actual meter.
Old 8th June, 2007, 07:31 AM

From the mobo sensor on the +12V I get between 11.18V from NxSensor and 11.83V from Everest. On the +5V I get between 4.84V and 4.89V respectively.

At a friend's tech shop on the meter I get 11.43 (load) ~11.48 (no load) and 4.83 consistently. So at -4.8% to -4.3% on the 12V leg and -3.4% on the 5V - it's out of it's rated 3% spec.

From my use of Antec in the past I think they've cut some corners here and there, especially with some of their Neo's & Smart Power's. Then other Antec's I've had were OK. Could also be just the luck of the draw. I know there are a lot of Antec adherents but I'm just relating my experiences. They've been more good than not, but it seems once in awhile I get a spotty one.

I'd expect +/-5% performance from a generic PSU maybe, not from a higher-priced name brand unit. But it happens.

Down the road it goes!
Old 8th June, 2007, 03:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, I think 5% is the requirement for the ATX12v spec.

I didn't realize the TP Trio was rated for 3%. In fact, looking at the specs, everything is 3% except the -12, which is 6%. And definitely, those readings are outside of spec.

As far as the corner cutting, I've been suspecting that for a while as well. It does seem to be rather hit and miss.
Old 9th June, 2007, 03:30 AM

gizmo -

It's close enough for me to give it the boot...which I did just a few hours ago.

BTW, I looked at the 4 or 5 CM 850's they had there and none of them had the "80Plus" sticker that the mfg rep mentioned would indicate a corrected unit. Good Ruck to those that get one from that store!

Meanwhile, the HW520W arrived from Provantage, has been bench tested by my pal Nick while I was at work, and is now all snug in the boxen chewing on a WU, (except for some minor wire tucking here & there I didn't finish). He said worst case under load or not was: 12V = 11.96, 5V = 4.89, 3.3V = 3.28 from any of the 10 various outputs.

That's more like it! And besides, I couldn't make an argument against the 5-year warranty. I might re-test in several days after the components settle.

Now that we've gotten the hard work out of the way, it's time for more p0rn:

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/HX520W2.jpg

The box is very sturdy and presentation well done I would say. Compared to this, the Trio 550's was anemic and both have the same MSRP - $129.99. I noted the Antec and Corsair have the exact same 18AWG power cord, where the CM 850 has a 14AWG.http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/HX520W3.jpg

Thick foam surrounds the entire unit. Good packing gets it to you in good shape, but you can't power yer boxen with a nice box. http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/HX520W4.jpg

A noice bag o' goodies, and who wouldn't like that...IF they've been good?http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/HX520W6.jpg

The usual back side (front side?). Some have griped about the CM 850's lack of a power switch, but I rarely use them. The "fault" light on the CM 850 is slightly more useful however.http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/PCparts/HX520W8.jpg

A pretty clean install as PSU's go. Here's where the HX520W really outshines the other two, never mind its excellent electrical performance, quiet running, top parts selection, and uber warranty. IOW - don't hate it cuz it's pretty and you're not. http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/...s/HX520W10.jpg

I think I'll keep it. If it gives me as much back as my old 2400+ has, then I can't bitch. I wish Corsair would bring a HX 350 or so watter with the same performance and similar features as the 520 & 620, and MSRP around $70.-$100. I'd buy a half dozen of them the first day.

Ok boys, time for a

Last edited by aztec61; 9th June, 2007 at 03:46 AM.

Tags
power supply