AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th June, 2007, 04:31 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Thermaltake Toughpower 1200-watt Modular PSU

Check out what TweakTown think of the Thermaltake W0133RU:

Thermaltake has long been known for their ability to cool a computer system and for making quality enclosures, but they have recently been making a name for themselves as a premier power supply manufacturer as well. With the growing needs of modern enthusiast level rigs, power has become a concern, so the folks at Thermaltake have put together a monster of a PSU for your high power needs.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2641/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2007, 04:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The devil is in the details. This PSU is really an 850W unit. Shame on Thermaltake. Great for lovers of pure hardware excess!
Old 18th June, 2007, 05:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

What causes you to say it is really an 850?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2007, 01:37 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It says so in the review. It's not at all happy if asked to perform as "speced."
Old 22nd June, 2007, 02:40 AM

I'm having a hard time loading the link. Must be my spyware blockers. (?)

I've found lately that a lot of PSU's are not what they're cracked up to be, but I'd have to see the test results on this one first, and from more than one tester/site.
Old 22nd June, 2007, 05:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
It says so in the review. It's not at all happy if asked to perform as "speced."
Are we talking about the same review or am I just blind? I don't see that; if anything they seem to be thinking that the unit is quite good?
Old 22nd June, 2007, 05:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec61
I'm having a hard time loading the link. Must be my spyware blockers. (?)

I've found lately that a lot of PSU's are not what they're cracked up to be, but I'd have to see the test results on this one first, and from more than one tester/site.
It really drags my system down when I first load it; they've got a CRAP LOAD of flash ads and stuff loading up.

As for the test results, you're right. I've yet to see a review of a PSU that is really done in what I consider to be the right way:

Load the thing up to its maximum rated load with a static load (resistors are good for this).
Inject line noise on the incoming AC and see if the noise shows up on the output (line rejection).
Vary the incoming voltage across the entire operational range of the PSU and see how the output varies (line regulation).
Inject noise into the load, to simulate switching of power FETs and that sort of thing and see how the output voltage of the other voltage rails varies (load rejection).
Vary the loading on one output over several seconds and see how the output voltage of the other voltage rails varies (load regulation).

Run the above tests at half load, and again at minimum load.

Most reviews basically consist of:

Plug it in
Watch the fans spin
Find some gear to plug in
See if it still works
Watch the fans spin some more

Call it a done deal.

Real testing of a PSU is a complicated and potentially expensive process, which is why no enthusiast site I know of does it.
Old 22nd June, 2007, 07:13 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

In the UK a magazine called 'Custom PC' made a huge review of PSU's, and the way they tested them was quite similar to your idea of testing a PSU Giz. I think the cost of the testing equipment was in the region of $42,000 but it certainly brought out the supplies which didn't reach their maximum power output, some of them caught fire i believe.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 22nd June, 2007, 12:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I think the only one I have seen really give PSUs a beating is Johnny Guru. He has this monster tester and loads them, cross loads them and runs them from high to low.
Old 22nd June, 2007, 01:38 PM

Got EpOx: "...but it certainly brought out the supplies which didn't reach their maximum power output, some of them caught fire i believe."

LOL! Pyrotechics is good! Separates the men from the boys I suppose.

Sam, I've read several of Jonny's PSU tests, and they were pretty revealing. Also check that [H]ard OCP has begun a new testing methodology for PSU's.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?...50aHVzaWFzdA==

It's not too shabby as compared to some sites.

Last edited by aztec61; 22nd June, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 23rd June, 2007, 01:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Are we talking about the same review or am I just blind? I don't see that; if anything they seem to be thinking that the unit is quite good?
Shimata! I made a mistake, sorry. Mixed up this review with a review of a $500 PSU with integral liquid cooling. Sorry!
Old 23rd June, 2007, 06:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Shimata! I made a mistake, sorry. Mixed up this review with a review of a $500 PSU with integral liquid cooling. Sorry!
Ah, good; at least I'm not going senile, just crazy. LOL
Old 23rd June, 2007, 07:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Perhaps going crazy is akin to the old saw: if I can feel the pain, I'm still alive?