AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th June, 2007, 02:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

My guess is that the regulator for the +5vsb shot craps. Once it is gone, the rest of the PSU can be fine but you won't be able to power up unless you are unlucky. I say unlucky because there are some circuits on the mobo that can fry if they get power to the main +5 system without power from the +5vsb system. I lost an Abit NF7-S that way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2007, 02:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I assume that it is a tap on the transformer that went out.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2007, 02:46 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Massive capacitors used in industrial appliances can literally vapourise people if they are touched accidentally when charged up. As we know capacitance and high amps don't work too well for the human body.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home

Last edited by Got EpOx; 15th June, 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 16th June, 2007, 12:05 AM

I hate to be a safety Simon.....but some things are best left untouched....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 16th June, 2007, 12:45 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
! the half lives of capacitors this size are fairly small, there won't have been an ounce of charge left in any of them by the time I opened it up.!
Famous last words. No foolin'. Caution is always smart.
Old 16th June, 2007, 01:18 AM

To be honest a large cap can hold a charge for days weeks months. And still be deadly.
Old 16th June, 2007, 03:19 PM

Ones this size can't hold charge anywhere near that long. The biggest one in there was 200uF, which will lose 2/3 of its remaining charge in less than every 3 hours, and thats when its completely taken out of a circuit and is discharging through the air between the connectors. Any circuit will have a resistance thousands of times lower than air.

Anyway, thanks for the concern any suggestions for a replacement? I'm looking at the Enermax Noisetaker 535w, but can't find a single review
Old 16th June, 2007, 03:35 PM

The Noisetaker's are OK. My pick right now in the 500W range and reasonable price is the Corsair HX520W. Has a 5-year warranty and excellent parts. In fact, I'm using one right now!

Provantage.com has them for $93.95. + ship and a $10. MIR.

http://www.provantage.com/corsair-cm...x~7CSMC02X.htm
Old 16th June, 2007, 04:05 PM

Not sure I really need that much power actually, according to the PSU power calculator my system only uses up just over 400W, but I'm definately not skimping, I'm getting 3.4GHz out of my E6400 and I'll be seriously pissed off if the new PSU compromises that!

I'm in the UK, overclockers have the HX520W but for £73...

Last edited by Chaz; 16th June, 2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 16th June, 2007, 04:09 PM

Might find this of use...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/reviews.php?catID=1
Old 17th June, 2007, 08:00 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow

Valuable link, I'd bookmark it, personally speaking.
Old 18th June, 2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
Not sure I really need that much power actually, according to the PSU power calculator my system only uses up just over 400W, but I'm definately not skimping, I'm getting 3.4GHz out of my E6400 and I'll be seriously pissed off if the new PSU compromises that!

I'm in the UK, overclockers have the HX520W but for £73...
Ideally, you'll want some power ability in reserve to handle any future upgrades you may want, and overclocking of the GPU and/or CPU. If your machine needs +400W now, I would add at least 10% to that for a PSU to cover the above, unless you know that you won't be changing the rig from what it is now. Also, do you plan to run it 24/7 for folding, for example? You need to account for capacitor aging in the PSU as well.

On the "safe" side, if the calculator gave me a figure of +400W (assuming that includes the o/c of the E6400), I would buy a PSU of 450W-550W rating - depending on what my future upgrade plans were.

It's not just total claimed wattage or amperage that's important. You should look for a PSU that has good stability, low ripple, and good efficiency (80 Plus certified). Better efficiency = less heat = happy computer & PSU.

I am not an advocate of buying way more than you need, but I've learned the hard way the value of having a strong and reliable power source.

Last edited by aztec61; 18th June, 2007 at 12:50 AM.