AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th June, 2007, 06:36 PM
AOA Staff

Apple notebooks selling like hot cakes

From the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2698/1/

Comments?
Old 26th June, 2007, 02:17 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Didn't know that Dell laptops aren't more popular. Lots of people just love their Macs. They seem overpriced and un-upgradeable to me, but what do I know?
Old 26th June, 2007, 02:49 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Didn't know that Dell laptops aren't more popular. Lots of people just love their Macs. They seem overpriced and un-upgradeable to me, but what do I know?
I have to agree, but then as you say, some people just love them =/

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th June, 2007, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Overpriced is a contention that I can live with. I don't see how you get un-upgradable though. I mean, of course Apple notebooks aren't very upgradable. However, they've got the upgradability to match most other consumer notebooks out there. Memory, disk space and batteries are pretty much the only things you'll ever upgrade on a laptop, right?
Old 26th June, 2007, 05:12 AM
Steve Jobs

Think he may be talking about the iMacs, and the G4/5s in particular.

Right now, I'm in the market for a laptop. I'm intending to get one in the ~$3000 range, in a 13.3" prefferably, else a 12.1", with a T7200, Nvidia graphics since I'll be using Linux, strong, well engineered, and with good battery life.

Other things im after are an SSD drive, and an LED backlight, along with 2GB ram minmum, 4GB is available.

Now, the competitors are currently the Sony Vaio SZ, and the Macbook. Trouble is the Sony is even more overpriced than the apple, and has slightly lousy battery life.

Then theres the Macbook, which is the ugliest laptop I've seen in ages. People say the MacBook is attractive, but honestly, it looks like a cross between a breadboard and a tampon.

The MacBook has a 1 button touchpad, which makes it useless without a mouse, has a reputation for defects, and comes with EFI, which makes life that little harder.

That said, its sufficiently cheaper and better value for me to consider it, despite its faults, and despite how gay I would feel in owning one. Its a great price/performance package, despite the also weak graphics.

Dell is now releasing a laptop, that is basically a design ripoff of the Vaio SZ series though. Called the M1330, its another 13.3" laptop, under 4 pounds, with a SSD drive on the options list, along with LED backlighting, a full sized keyboard, 8X DVD burner, T7200 as an option, up to 4GB ram, and 2GB standard, a very tough and well build case, and a level of engineering that has been described by insiders as being so good that you have to wonder where dell stole it from.

No word on pricing yet, but that M1330 is due July 10th, and should be quite an impressive piece of kit. If I don't have the cash by then, I'll be leasing one for sure.

Sure, they get no points for originality by ripping off Sony, but who cares, it'll be cheap.

So... No. I don't think I'll be buying another Mac any time soon.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th June, 2007, 01:37 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Uhh............... the Dell M1330 is available now.....

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

BTW, I would get it in the red.

I took a couple minutes and configured it. Comes to about $1854.00. Expect to spend another $250 to get the memory up to 4GB and another $200 to increase HDD to 250GB or $400 for SDD.

Here's how I got it configured.

SYSTEM COLOR Crimson Red edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition edit
LCD AND CAMERA Slim and Light White LED Display with VGA Webcam edit
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS edit
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0 edit
FINGERPRINT SCANNER Biometric Fingerprint Reader edit

My Accessories
BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card edit
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR) edit

My Software
PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit
ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE No Security software pre-installed edit
PHOTO AND MUSIC SOFTWARE No Entertainment software pre-installed edit

My Service
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day edit
ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION 1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection (CD Shipped Separately) edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Free 10GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year edit
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested edit
ENVIRONMENTAL OPTIONS Free Recycling Kit edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
OPTICAL DRIVE CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
Camera Panel Slim and Light LCD with Crimson Red Microsatin Casing and Camera XPS M1330

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......

Last edited by mookydooky; 26th June, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 26th June, 2007, 08:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Now that's a cool looking Dell. Looks like the perfect balance between mobility and performance. If I was in the market for a nice, expensive notebook I certainly would give that one a look.
Old 26th June, 2007, 09:30 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
There's probably more Dells out there. After all, Apple only has 3 models to choose from, MacBook and MacBook Pro 15" and MacBook Pro 17". I believe they're just talking about the month of May.

As for upgradeability, I've come to the conclusion that very few people actually bother to upgrade stuff on their notebook with the possible exception of memory. Most people buy a notebook with the idea that this what they're gonna have for the next couple of years.

Finally, I don't think MacBooks are expensive. They're not cheap by any means, more mid-range I think. Since C2D, they do offer a bit more flexibility than a traditional notebook. If you get a big HD, you can easily run both OSX and your fave Windows flavor.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......

Last edited by mookydooky; 26th June, 2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 26th June, 2007, 09:35 PM
AOA Staff

The figures are for May and in the USA, only.

I wonder if Macbooks sell better than their desktops, because they're considered cool to be seen with, compared to a Dell anyhow.

Few people see what desktop you have at home.
Old 26th June, 2007, 11:17 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookydooky
Uhh............... the Dell M1330 is available now.....

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

BTW, I would get it in the red.

I took a couple minutes and configured it. Comes to about $1854.00. Expect to spend another $250 to get the memory up to 4GB and another $200 to increase HDD to 250GB or $400 for SDD.

Here's how I got it configured.

SYSTEM COLOR Crimson Red edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition edit
LCD AND CAMERA Slim and Light White LED Display with VGA Webcam edit
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS edit
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0 edit
FINGERPRINT SCANNER Biometric Fingerprint Reader edit

My Accessories
BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card edit
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR) edit

My Software
PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit
ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE No Security software pre-installed edit
PHOTO AND MUSIC SOFTWARE No Entertainment software pre-installed edit

My Service
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day edit
ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION 1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection (CD Shipped Separately) edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Free 10GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year edit
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested edit
ENVIRONMENTAL OPTIONS Free Recycling Kit edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
OPTICAL DRIVE CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
Camera Panel Slim and Light LCD with Crimson Red Microsatin Casing and Camera XPS M1330
/Licks Mookie

Love this laptop. Still its only preorder, with delivery starting July 10th, but hell, at least they have the prices there. I'm sooo getting one. First 1337 Dell laptop. Only downside is Vista. Nothing a format and a Fedora Linux DVD cant fix though.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 26th June, 2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 27th June, 2007, 12:12 PM

Why would you fork out for SSD now? SSD writing speeds are currently pretty naff. It's way to expensive to be worth it!
I would wait tbh. Hard Drives have got us to this point, I'm sure a HDD wouldn't let you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 27th June, 2007, 01:00 PM
Steve Jobs

I've had three dead laptop hard disks, they let me down plenty. For the small amount extra it costs, I'm willing to go the extra distance, espcially since its the end of the financial year, and I can get a great deal of it back.

The power consumption and seek times are the most important issues, along with the reliability.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 27th June, 2007, 01:50 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

SSDs are still too expensive per GB to be useful as the only disk on a system in my opinion. On the other hand, I've only ever had one laptop hard disk die, and that was less than a week after receiving it.

Power consumption of SSDs isn't really a massive factor in your typical laptop, as the standard HDD doesn't factor very heavily in the power budget.

Wear-leveling might be the biggest differentiator between SSD. FLASH memory parts do wear out with writes, which is where the wear-leveling comes in to try to distribute the wear across the FLASH, rather than just one cell. Having had experience of FLASH failure whereby there was no wear-leveling, I can attest that 6 months of a mostly idle server can kill FLASH quite happily.

Now, if it were one of those nice Zeus IOPS SSD, then I might be a little more interested. 256GB capacity and sustained throughput of over 200MBs/sec. The only downside is that they're fibre channel!

Last edited by Áedán; 27th June, 2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 27th June, 2007, 02:29 PM
Steve Jobs

I seriously dont mind the price at all.

I need the thing to last 3 years, and in that, the disk is covered by the warranty. I always carry my laptop everywhere, so I need it to be light, rugged and reliable. I just havn't had that from the LCDs and hard disks Ive had, not to mention some of the cases.

For what I have in mind, the laptop will be long gone before I near the thing's write limit.

I'm not completely certain I'll get one yet, but I'm fairly sure I will.

If I do... I'll definately have a review.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 29th June, 2007, 04:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

Guys this is online and b&M retail sales, this doesn't include direct orders, which is why Dell isn't on the list. Do you really believe that freaking Gateway, Apple and Toshiba are outselling Dell on the whole?

I mean Toshiba and Apple are somewhat believable, but does anyone buy Gateways anymore?

That XPS M1330 sure does look nice, if I hadn't gotten this LatD620 like 6 months ago I would be on that for sure.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 29th June, 2007, 05:55 PM
AOA Staff

Worldwide all popular brands of notebook, are selling like hot cakes. I think sales of notebooks are up by 23%. Desktops are not seeing this growth.

Overall, Dell, Lenovo and HP are the 3 biggest players in the computer market, worldwide.
Old 30th June, 2007, 12:14 AM
Steve Jobs

A week and a half until I get my M1330 =D

No SSD option is available atm, so I've had to order the 160GB SATA drive. American customers can order the SSD drive, and in this country we can get it with the lat D420 but not the M1330.

I guess it means I can play around a bit more with the space, maybe set up Fedora with Xen from the outset, with Windows XP virtualized courtesy of the Intel Vanderpool enabled CPU/Mobo in the M1330.

I've ordered the T7500, 2GB ram (I've ordered 4GB of DDR2 off ebay for much less than the upgrade price) LED backlit screen, Crimson Red (as per mookie's suggestion ), fingerprint reader (Purely for wank factor, its nearly completely useless) 9 Cell battery, 8X DL DVD burner (slot load), Geforce 8 8400 GS.

They're telling me 8 hours battery life with the 9 cell in power saving mode. Which is not bad at all really, and when its plugged in, a 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo, with 4GB ram, and a Geforce 8 is nothing to sneer at.

My poor little MP3M 1.2Ghz is beginning to struggle so much under Gnome that I've switched to XFCE temporarily. Javascript websites make it grind for ages. I'll bet its happy when it gets put out to stud.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th June, 2007, 07:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm happy with my Inspiron B130. "B" for basic, don't cha know. It's a heavy little mutha, I guess that goes with the 15.4 " screen. Didn't want a mini screen, prejudiced I guess. Seems that righteous Dual-Core lappers are about $1400, mine was ~$850 with a year of "oops, I duhh-dropped it" insurance. However, I read that desktop and mobile Dual-Core are different animals. With laptops losing that race.
Old 1st July, 2007, 01:55 AM
Steve Jobs

Its a nice thing to have, see I abuse the hell out of my laptops at work, and they just dont stand up to it. Dual core with 4GB ram might come close, but it will still have trouble at times, when I have 5 different browsers open with 12-20 tabs in each, an IDE running, instant messaging/IRC, network monitoring tools, and various things like web application servers running in the background.

This would be the first Intel CPU'd computer that I've actually wholly owned myself since the Pentium 3 laptop. I can't wait to see how it goes.

If Javascript menus work instantly, Gnome stops grinding, and I can use Beryl for desktop effects all the time without a performance penalty, ill be stoked. If I can also play WoW under Cedega on it, and stick it up some mac users, then even better
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 2nd July, 2007, 06:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I installed SuSE 9.1, err, Novell 9.1 on the laptop from the DVD. It was a disaster, the damn OS commandeered the laptop, leaving no room for an XP install. Screw Novell!