AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th August, 2007, 05:05 PM

ok , i will search for another PSU, will tell you the result!
thanks for taking time!
Old 27th September, 2007, 06:58 PM

still didn't find another PSU ,
but another sign showed up !
as you know i turn on computer first with PSU button then the power button on case
and as you remember i have said that if i after i push the PSU bottun i press power button , i have no sound, but if i wait for 4,5 sec , then push the power button then i have sound,
now the thing has changed is this time is increasing , this 4,5 sec now has become to 35-40 sec !!!!
after i press PSU button i have to wait for 35-40 sec then push the power button ! less than tat still dosn't give me the sound!
i'm afraid i'm damaging something!
what you think?
Old 27th September, 2007, 08:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I wish I knew! But some is bound to! BUMP!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2007, 09:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Assuming you are using onboard sound.

1. remove you speakers, and do a fast power up (where sound wouldn't play). Once windows is loaded, connect your speakers and see if you get sound. Try different speakers / headphones if you can. If that works it could be the sound or your speakers. Change speakers / headphones and try rebooting.

2. Visually inspeact your MB in regards to the capacitors. Any swollen / leaky caps, means a MB prob.

3. When you get sound, does it have a hiss, crackle or popping noises?

4. Turn off the PC, inc PSU switch (on back of case), press the power button on the front to discharde the caps. Leaving the screen on, power on the machine as quickly as possible, and let us know how long before the screen turns on - doesn't have to have picture, but how long before your graphics card sends the 'on' signal. On a CRT you often get a noise (click?) which means its on, then a couple of seconds before a picture.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2007, 08:39 AM

1. it worked. but then again it is not my speakers! (how?)
i removed speakers, then used the "fast power up" , i had sound, meaning windows detect it, but as i was suspecious when windows was on , i removed them , then i turned off, i aited about 45 to min while i didn't turn the PSU button this time, after that i just pressed the case front power button , this time windows didn't detect again, no sound!
in almost the last lines of my thread , the first one , i had mention something , it was the cables in MB ! i had said that if i just change the position of a cable or a card on the MB , then power up, windows would detect ! if a cable (anyone) on MB is plugged (for example USB cable) , then if i unplug it, i have sound, if it is unplugged then i plug it , then i have sound ...
and then again "this removin' speaker" is like changing a plug position on MB, that why it gave me the sound in the first time!

2.no swollen/leaky caps\

3. when i have the sound all is PERFECT!

4. it takes about 10 sec . after this nearly 10 sec what i see is pc is detecting my 4 hard drives, before this screen i have "intel picture" , which had passed (meaning i didn't see it).
(i have no "clicking soung" , i mean that beep sound that means graphic card's detected (or works fine , i guess? ), eh i mean i don't have that sound , isn't that from older machines?)
Old 4th October, 2007, 11:56 AM
Member/Contributer

the click sound is from the monitor itself - like a crt tv turning on.

Check your IRQ settings in the device manager (sys properties -> hardware -> device manager), under view - resources by connection.
Also Show Hidden Devices.
Check whether there is anything else with the same IRQ, or if there are any conflicts. Try it for when there is sound, and no sound.

Change ALL cables (well as much as you can), including checking the PSU to try and get an even load over the different 12v rails.

Have you tried a sound card? Doesn't matter how old and terrible it sounds, as long as it goes.

Have you tried changing your sound config from 7.1 to 5.1? It looks like you can do that in the bios - if this works you may want to RMA the board as the sound chip would be faulty.

I hate to say it but, it seems like it is 1 of 3 issues.

Bad OS install,
Bad PSU,
Bad MB

1. You will have to dl the latest drivers, burn them to CD, then;
Upgrade to the latest BIOS, and reset to the defaults (clear CMOS).
Format and reinstall your OS- loading the latest drivers, with a reboot each time.

2. Try a new PSU - could still be bad, it happens

3. RMA the board - something is funny on the board.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 4th October, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 4th October, 2007, 02:38 PM

sorry to say , but there are some parts in your post i can't get them !
1.the IRQ list is in front of my eyes, but don't know what to do with it ? do you mean how many times a line is repeated?
2.i have an old genius sound maker live fm801 , you mean to try that ? if it works all the way (which i guess it will be) ,does it mean anything ? i mean don't we have an onboard problem?
3. 12v rails!! is kind of a cable? how do i change PSU main cables? (open up PSU with a screw?)
4.how to change sound config form 7.1 to 5.1? is it in bios? i guess in bios (last time i checked) there is only "enable/disable" for the sound!
5. RMA !!! no clue what is that!!

1" : i've tried to install windows about 6-7 times
2" : i'm searchin' for it
3" : RMA ?? (the search is telling me it is "Rubber Manufacturers Association " but still don't understand it)
Old 4th October, 2007, 04:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I would stick to disable the onboard sound and try the other sound card.

RMA = return material authorization.

To send it back to the make or seller.
Old 4th October, 2007, 08:53 PM
Member/Contributer

RMA = go to sellers website, fill out form, return under warantee. or return to store for a new one.

1. I should've asked this very first but when you have no sound;
If you navigate to: Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio (tab)

Are the devices the correct device? Can you choose the correct device?

2. IRQ: to find a conflict, basically check and see if any of the numbers are the same. If so, right click on the device -> properties -> resources, and check the conflict device list. See screenshot.

3. Yep, I mean stick the old genius in. If it works, everytime (say 5 or 6 reboots where the onboard wouldn't), there could be an actual MB problem requiring a RMA

4. Sometimes PSUs have multiple amperage lines. Each one has a max amperage they will give, and also a max total combined. Each line will have several connections to it. Sometimes you can plug everything onto the same line by accident. Basically what you want to do is spread them out. Sometimes the manual or the cables will tell you what one they are on, sometimes not. If it does, you can then check the cables against the manual to get everything as balanced as possible. If not, try using as many cables as possible - basically 1 per device nothing else on it. If they have different coloured tags (or something that might identify cable groups) use as many colours as possible.

5. I assume its in BIOS - I can't find a manual to download for your board. But sometimes its in software (that came with the board).
Attached Thumbnails
funny problem with sound-irq.jpg  

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 5th October, 2007, 11:12 AM

provided some screen shots
1.i guess it is correct
2.see the list , there a lot of "the same number", i've checked their properties and all has "no conflict" in that box.
4.now that you've mentioned it , was one of my questions, see the images,there are 3 parts in MB i should connect a power cable, (sorry i don't know the cable names so i'll call them the numbers in the pic)
PSU got 3 main cables, which is "1" kind , and 2 of "2" kind, but the 3rd one in MB is another type (3), which cable i used to feed the "3" on MB and the case back fan. (so the 3rd main power cable is not plugged to anything (2 type))
i wonder if the "3" is for the sound onboard (maybe all this sound thing comes from this!) and why i'm not using all the 3 main cables? ( for this problem i'm getting suspicious to every simple thing)

funny problem with sound-audio-tab.jpg

funny problem with sound-irq-list.jpg

funny problem with sound-img_00071-11-.jpg.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	21316

funny problem with sound-img_000711.jpg
Old 5th October, 2007, 01:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Your IRQ's are fine. Mainly looking at the sound and it has its own. Under sounds and audio devices, does it in device manager or sounds and audio devices when you dont get sound?

If it does, check the properties if it shows in device manager - 1st tab (general) should display any errors - also check the IRQ for conflicts.

If so, try changing to the other device in sounds and audio devices. It could be a windows / driver issue.

If not, then onto your PSU.

1. 20+4 pin connector to 24pin MB slot - correct
2. 8pin pwr (not 4+4 they are different) looks correct, but you may want to check.
3. The 4pin peripheral to the MB - try and have nothing else on it.

Try booting with no case fans, only 1 HDD, 1DVD, no floppy. Reboot to where you would have no sound if sound still works, add HDD's, etc until it doesn't when you start. Remember, do not add anything to the lines going to your MB.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 5th October, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 5th October, 2007, 01:41 PM

when i have no sound the sound and audio devices all go grey , and in device manager under sound video and game controls that sigmatel high defenation audio CODEC will be gone (see image) - when so sound there's isn't tat "sigmatel ..." line (sigmatel is the onboard sound driver and staff)
1.how to check the 8pin pwr and 4+4 ?
2.i don't think i can do that with HDD , i have set to RAID 0 these 4 hard drives, so will it work with just one ?

funny problem with sound-device-manager.jpg
Old 5th October, 2007, 03:35 PM

i tried unplugging back fan , which had the same cable to the MB, but didn't work ,no sound!

funny problem with sound-no-sound.jpg
Old 5th October, 2007, 10:52 PM
Member/Contributer

1. in your pic of the PSU connections - Number 1 should be the 8pin power connector. There is probably 2 more, which are 4pin and could fit together.

2. Nope, you have to have all 4.

3. First using add/remove remove all sound card drivers. Then using http://files.aoaforums.com/I2355-dcprosetup_13.zip.html remove all sound drivers. You will need to be in safe mode. Reboot, disabling your onboard sound in BIOS. Then shutdown. Then you need to get the old sound card in there, let us know if it works fine every time.

4. If so, remove old sound card, re-enable onboard, install drivers that came with CD, if it fails - its your MB and you will need to RMA.
If the card fails, it could be PSU or MB, use a DMM on the PSU to test voltages.

I suspect a bad MB.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 7th October, 2007, 12:12 PM

i disabled audio in bios , set up the old sound card
had some problem for its driver, so i got 5-6 drivers from different sites
(it is genuis sound maker live but i have lost its box , and i have its cd, on the cd it has written sound maker live, and on the sound card , on its biggest chip , it has written fortemedia fm801)
2 of them works best , and gives me sound SO much better than onboard sound, but only about wav and mp3s, for midis and some games i tried , it play the file fine, but i hear some "hisses" from speakers ( the sound is like when your speaker can't support the high volume of pc (but i have too big speakers and it works great with mp3 with super high volume))
Old 7th October, 2007, 08:15 PM
Member/Contributer

sounds like you MB onoard sound is toast.

The hisses are probably from higher def sound than the card can support.

I would suggest RMA

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 10th October, 2007, 09:19 AM

hmm ... maybe i go buying a new sound card, that was the thing i had to do , i'm doing most music , so i'll get a pro sound card and disable onboard !
Old 10th October, 2007, 09:52 AM
Member/Contributer

Good luck.

I'm not to sure what a decent pro card would be. I know MAudio make decent cards, but you may want to ask around

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 10th October, 2007, 12:26 PM

yea , as you mentioned, some people told me about Maudio cards too, specially delta1010.
i've been searching the web for PCI express sound cards, nothing especial i found. ehh and i guess Maudio is still around pci .
any pci-e sound card have been released? (just curious)
Old 10th October, 2007, 10:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Seems like there are.

San Francisco Bay's Resource For Used & New Cars, Real Estate and Classifieds

Creative may have a couple as well.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H