AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th October, 2007, 09:48 PM

switced keys on laptop

i checked one of my friends laptop (HP compaq, nx7300)
there's a key between left ctrl and windows start key , named fn , which i guess is "function"
it works as ctrl ,and the ctrl key works as fn , i tried to run task manager by ctrl alt delete , but it didn't worked ,
then i did fn alt delete , then the task manager came up . tried with some other commands including ctrl, and all was the same, the fn key worked as ctrl and ctrl as fn .
unfortunately i don't know why i didn't try all with right ctrl ! i was focusin' on left ctrl and fn key that was beside it!
is it hardware problem or software?
Old 12th October, 2007, 02:16 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sounds like a hardware boondoggle to me. Or software, whichever you like more. It's a temptation to fill in the nonexistent blank between "f" and "n."
Lousy answer, or what? Shame on me!

Last edited by cloasters; 12th October, 2007 at 02:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th October, 2007, 07:23 AM

even it is hardware , leads me to another question, can we change keyboard keys? i mean with a program or somewhere in registry or something to change each key a diffrent order ? (individual , not qwerty kind...)
Old 12th October, 2007, 07:33 AM

searched, seems like there is. wonder that would solve the problem ? gonna test first on mine... :-s
Old 12th October, 2007, 08:02 AM

nope , this programs should run to let you have desire key , if you exit them , all the thing would come back! anything in registry ?
Old 12th October, 2007, 12:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Can you reset the bios settings? Is there an update for the bios?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th October, 2007, 01:04 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The Fn key is generally used to access various functions that are provided on a laptop. For instance, switching between LCD and external monitor, mute, screen brightness and volume control. It's generally hardwired - IE it works without Windows getting involved, so I don't think you'll be able to remap it via Windows.

Is it possible that someone might have disloged those key tops and put them back on the wrong way around?
Old 12th October, 2007, 02:03 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Is it possible that someone might have disloged those key tops and put them back on the wrong way around?
This is what I was thinking, it is generally quite easy to remove keys with a ballpoint pen or similar.

And no, I don't know that because we messed around with the keys in college so the arrow keys all pointed up. Honest.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 12th October, 2007, 03:33 PM

no , as you see in the pic , the fn is placed between WIN and left ctrl key (the letters written on it is blue), so it was exactlly like the laptop i saw , another thing the size of fn and ctrl is not the same, so you can't switched the key tops !
i remember he used fn key to on/off numlock , which he did it by left ctrl , no doubt they are switched ,
i hope i could find something via windows ...

switced keys on laptop-20205.jpg
Old 12th October, 2007, 03:55 PM

Is there a BIOS or controller firmware update for the laptop?

Otherwise you might have to contact HP to resolve this.

Last edited by Áedán; 12th October, 2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12th October, 2007, 04:14 PM

i don't know , should search for any bios update?
Old 12th October, 2007, 05:07 PM

Head over to HP's site and see if there's anything there for you.