AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th December, 2007, 12:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Optical Drive Troubleshooting

[B]Optical Drive Doesn’t Appear

Don’t you just hate it when you have a brand new game and the disc will not run. I will walk you through how to fix this most annoying of all errors.

1. The first step is to eliminate the obvious, right click My Computer and go down to Manage. This opens Computer Management. Select Device Manager from the left hand side list. Under DVD/CD-ROM Drives, if the Device is there and there are no exclamation marks or question marks, go to 2. If there is an exclamation mark, go to 3. If there is a question mark, go to 4. If it is not present, go to 5.

2. So there’s no exclamation or question mark but your disc isn’t working. Ok, eliminate the disc, try another disc. If that works, go to 6. If not, go to 8.

3. An exclamation mark generally means the device is disabled. First thing to try is to go to device properties by right clicking and selecting properties. And then clicking on enable device. If this still doesn’t work, go to 8.

4. Open the registry by clicking, start, run, regedit and clicking ok. Browse the hive HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and open the Multi String values titled UpperFilters and LowerFilters, one will appear, but possibly not both. Delete the contents of the key, but not the actual key and reboot. If this doesn’t work, go to 7.

5. If it’s not present, check the cabling, try new cabling if necessary, go to 7.

6. Attempt a firmware update on the drive, this does not always work, as some discs are incompatible with certain drives. IE: Supreme Commander in H30L drives (the optical drives in M8xx0 series HP desktop towers.

7. Replace resort, replace the drive. If this doesn’t work, go to 9.

8. Right click on the drive and select uninstall. Right click on the corresponding IDE Controller and select uninstall then reboot the computer and see if it works now.

9. Complete software rebuild. Use a spare HDD if possible. If this still doesn’t work go to 10.

10. The final step is to replace the motherboard on the assumption it is a faulty IDE controller.

All this should hopefully result in a working optical drive. I would like some contructive critiscism on the subject to which I will edit this post, and then hopefully have it added to the FAQ section.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2007, 01:53 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Step 10 gets my vote. If it wasn't so expensive and APITA!
Old 6th January, 2008, 07:44 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Ooooh, it's like a choose your own adventure story!

Good list BTW.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!