AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th January, 2008, 06:41 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasVagabond View Post
On one hand HD-DVD is better cause the laser burns the disk with bigger gaps between data than Blu-Ray thus making it harder to destroy if scratched.
On the other hand Blu-Ray can reach up to 50GB while HD-DVD goes up to 30GB, however i doubt there are any movies that surpass even the 20GB mark.
Although movies on their own may not be enourmous, keep in mind that movies like "The Lord Of the Rings" were offered with up to 4 discs per movie with extras, and those movies themselves were extremely long.

Also, TV seasons are very common on DVD, and the ability to ship an entire season of something like Torchwood or Doctor Who (~40 mins per ep, 12 episodes in a season) on a single disc is very advantageous.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2008, 06:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Samsung BDP1000 which both articles compared the PS3 with is the first Generation Blu-Ray from Samsung and its already 2 years old.
Like i said i saw the PS3 play next to the Samsung BDP1400 and the SHARP BD-HP20S and out of 7 people there 6 people confirmed that the SHARP and the SAMSUNG Blu-Ray players had better image quality.
Your REALLY long on claims here, claims no one else seems to be making and short on links to substantiate you views... Perhaps it would help you get you point across if we had access to the same sources?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2008, 07:54 PM

Using google you will see Samsung BDP1400 vs PS3 reviews and opinions.
As for my personnal experience its hard to share it with you since the test was made in the center of Athens at a friends store when he first brought the Samsung BDP1400 and the SHARP BD-HP20S and wanted to see which Blu-Ray was better thus he called me and 6 friends and coworkers to check them out.
In any case im sure that eventually many reviews of the new sharp and samsung will emerge around the net and perhaps we will see more tets vs the PS3.
Old 12th January, 2008, 08:30 PM
AOA Staff

This article is only a few days old, they have tested the PS3 against a Panasonic DMP-BD30, which is one of the few profile 1.1 players around.

They have benchmarked them using HD HQV, and say that the PS3 performs best.

Quote:
when it came to processing motion, we agreed that the PS3 edged out the Panasonic by a nose.
Quote:
If I had to lay money down on one Blu-ray-only player at this minute, I'd have to choose the PS3.
Metasearch Search Engine - Search.com
Old 12th January, 2008, 09:12 PM

Havent seen the Panasonic so i cant comment on that.
And performance/price ratio the PS3 is better since its also a gaming console. That was the whole idea from the start.
Old 12th January, 2008, 10:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

They put together a smooth package...only to watch Wii bite everyone in the ass! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 12th January, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12th January, 2008, 10:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
This article is only a few days old, they have tested the PS3 against a Panasonic DMP-BD30, which is one of the few profile 1.1 players around.

They have benchmarked them using HD HQV, and say that the PS3 performs best.

Metasearch Search Engine - Search.com
Good link Danrok! Picked up a few things I didn't know about what the updates are and might mean. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th January, 2008, 01:26 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
I cant really spot the components that are inferior in quality but from my knowledge each Blu-Ray and HD-DVD device use different chips/decoders and different quality of external connectors ( metal/gold ). Even the power system of an device such as DVD-Players or HD-DVD, Blu-Ray players and its capacitors play a big role in the final image produced.
External connectors are an interesting issue - for example, if you're using gold plated connectors, then all connectors need to be gold plated. Using mismatched metals can cause signal degredation. However, in the digital world, gold plating doesn't necessarily provide any better connection than standard tin connectors.

The HD-DVD XA2, BD-P1400 and most of Sony and Pioneer's Blu-ray players use the Sigma Design SMP8634 to handle video decoding. The SMP8634 is quite happy to decode Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

The HD-DVD A1 uses Broadcom's BCM7411, as does the Samsung BD-P1000.