AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January, 2008, 02:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

New build soon!

Hey guys,
providing i get a job soon enough (got another interview on Tuesday), i've decided that the first thing i'm gonna do it build a whole new setup. Well, not completely new, just replacing the stuff that needs it (i.e. MB, CPU and RAM).

Looking at current gear, i've come up with Intel Quad Core Q6600 95W edition: Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - OEM

I'm thinking of the future now, and i don't want to get a dual-core now and regret it later. I want to be able to take complete advantage of games like Crysis, Supreme Commander, etc.

For RAM, i have 2 choices here; Take some PC2-8500 or better and a C2D E2140 (until the next month when i can get the Q6600), or, i take PC2-6400 and get the Q6600 at the same time.

As for motherboards, i may want to go Crossfire within a few months, or i may end up swapping to a 8 or 9 series and going SLi (since i can't run the nv demos, and there's the whole AAA issue that causes transparent objects in WoW and such), so i need a recommendation for both an SLi and a Crossfire board. The MUST have a passive/heatpiped Chipset/NB and SB cooling solution, if they don't have that, don't recommend them as dealing with a rattling 40mm fan is enough to send anyone crazy .

I'm also planning on upgrading these 2xIDE and 2xSATA drives to 2xSATA drives. I love Samsung drives as they are very fast and quiet. I do plan on RAID 0 with the drives, and if it's actually even possible, a RAID 1 to ensure the data on the striped array stays safe. Never done RAID with any of my builds, but i want the best out of the new build.

So, any recommendations?

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2008, 06:04 PM

Oh yes, aside from gaming, i want to be able to design/edit images and logos, and film in-game footage without too much lag (using FRAPS at 60fps half-size is good, but the files it creates are hugh).

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2008, 12:27 AM

About the only SLI capable board I have used with a quad that I was happy with was the Asus P5N32-E SLI. The board performed well, was as reliable as any that I have used, overclocking was good enough to cover all but the very best of the C2Q's out there. Heatpipe design for all mosfet and chipset cooling. Only complaint I had was running a pair of dual slot cards left most of the slots unusable and put my sound card a little closer to my GFX card than I would have liked..

For Crossfire boards I can highly recommend the P5E X38 based boards from Asus. After watching weldzilla working with one, my friend picked one up and has great results with it and a Q6600.

PC2-6200 will be plenty, higher memory speeds give a small percentage boost to benchmarks but equate to almost nothing in games.
Old 7th January, 2008, 04:26 AM

Those are great news skool, looking forward for it.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 8th January, 2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
About the only SLI capable board I have used with a quad that I was happy with was the Asus P5N32-E SLI. The board performed well, was as reliable as any that I have used, overclocking was good enough to cover all but the very best of the C2Q's out there. Heatpipe design for all mosfet and chipset cooling. Only complaint I had was running a pair of dual slot cards left most of the slots unusable and put my sound card a little closer to my GFX card than I would have liked..

For Crossfire boards I can highly recommend the P5E X38 based boards from Asus. After watching weldzilla working with one, my friend picked one up and has great results with it and a Q6600.

PC2-6200 will be plenty, higher memory speeds give a small percentage boost to benchmarks but equate to almost nothing in games.
Hmm, the P5E X38. Although it looks like an awesome board, it comes at a price, that may be out of the range i'm willing to spend on one. If it's not out of range when the day comes (the interview went really well, just waiting for them to offer me the job *pray*), then i'll go straight for it. But until i can be sure, would this one do the job (or does anyone have any exp. with them?):
Asus P5KC Combo Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard

I do like that it has 12 USB 2.0, is heatpiped and supports DDR3 (when it becomes mainstream, i'd love to upgrade to it as it's basically VRAM on a stick, speeds and latency wise). The price isn't too shoddy either.

My current rig took a turn for the worst last night when it started crashing after a few minutes of CSS: DM, even in single-channel with the same latencies i'd use in dual-channel AND at 166mhz. Now, i'm running at 2.5-3-3-7 at 150mhz ='(. However, windows logs indicate that ATAPI on disk4 has been a problem. ATAPI indicates, to me, that it's not HDD based but an other drive, with the DVDRW being the only other drive i have (i don't have any mounted images or vdrives so it's not a software drive). Since i swapped cases over, i didnt swap the DVD drive over (since it's drive drawer was stuck and wouldn't open at all), but just the DVDRW, seems i forgot to change jumpers on the drive from slave, so i put it it onto the slave connector.

But back to the new rig, it seems that the only thing that's limiting me in my current rig is the (appauling) memory, but also the CPU, which although it's absolutely brilliant, it's showing it's age against new components. So, the one's i've chosen for now:
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - OEM

And for cooling:
Noctua NH-U12F CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/LGA775)
Corsair Memory Cooler (Dominator Fan)

Corsair memory is by far my favourite due to the cheap prices, but the quality of the DDR400 1GB kit i had a while back really opened my eyes to them. I just wish i hadn't got into the upgrade process when memory prices were so high. DDR is still overpriced, about double of what DDR2 is. So i think it's time to move on.

Last edited by skool h8r; 8th January, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 9th January, 2008, 12:10 AM

Uh-oh. I think i realised why this memory is behaving like a troubled child on drugs. I was led to believe that they were DDR400 at 2.75v. In an attempt to get them to stabilise and overclock over time, i've been running them at 2.9v thinking the extra would help. I've just checked the GeIL page for the modules and read something that cleared my mind. Apprently they are 2.5v-2.6v! I've been running them 0.4v over what they should have been! I'm pretty shocked i didn't realise this before. Windows has booted and is running fine for a few minutes, i do need to test it a lot more, including dual-channel. If it turns out they are now at the correct voltage, i will kick myself. Someone who passed A+ and ITSST makes a mistake with memory voltage =X. Still, i was told by Micro Direct' page when i bought them that they were 2.7v-2.9v.

As i said, i'll test and get back to you. Will still be going ahead with the upgrade if i get the job, as it's time for a change.

EDIT: Nope, moment after posting, computer crashed with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. This computer seriously has a deathwish, and when i do get the new setup, i am so likely to just snap the memory itself just to get revenge on it. And then i'll probably buy some ebuyer value 1gb module, and install it with my 7600gt into my dads machine.

Last edited by skool h8r; 9th January, 2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10th January, 2008, 05:50 PM

God damn it! Apparently, they aren't giving me the job, because i'm over qualified for it. It's a data entry role for christ sake! I'm stuck in a college i don't want to be at, without a job, and the only money i get is £20 a week from EMA when they actually pay it. So now i'm stuck with this heap o' crap for god knows how much longer. Life kicks you in the face sometimes, just seems i get knocked down more than other people.

My dad won't let me leave college until i have a job, but i can't get some jobs simply because i'm still at college. Even though my dads been nice to me and helped me in trying to find a job, i just feel like quitting college, no matter what he thinks. He shouted me about even thinking of leaving a few weeks ago. And his reasoning? Child maintenance that my mum gets. Seems to give no thought as to how happy I was, but more of the £15-20 a week he'd lose by me not going somewhere that i'm unhappy at.

Last edited by skool h8r; 10th January, 2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10th January, 2008, 07:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Dude, you have to eat. You Dad just wants you to relize that there are consiquinces.

Hence the job as a pre condition. Dude, there's a place for you! try and be paitent, good things will come your way.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 10th January, 2008, 08:06 PM

Welcome to "Life".. It's not all that great but it does have good enough moments that make the trouble worthwhile..
Old 11th January, 2008, 05:29 PM

Looks like the good things just did come my way. Apparently, because they spoke to my dad yesterday and not me, because i was at college, the agency have got me a job offer, as long as i stay 6 months minimum (otherwise, the agency will give them someone for free). Starting on the 21st of the month. Was about to do a return on this memory in order to get some that worked when they phoned, was having a really bad day simply because it wasn't working in single-channel at all(crashed as soon as i started WoW ¬_¬).

Last time i listen to my dad about something like that.

Old 11th January, 2008, 10:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

One of life's biggest impediments to happiness. You were miserable because you thought things weren't going your way, now your happy because you think things are going your way... People are always asking us what we are going to do...after a while we get the idea that we are supposed to know what we are going to do!

"Everybody have a plan until they hit"

I cannot predict with any certainty my next heartbeat. I never hardly ever know when events are going my way or not, I just sometimes know it they are going the way I want them to.

Glad things turned out as you wanted them to. I hope things go your way as well.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th January, 2008, 02:44 AM

I see what you're saying. Something just feels right about the move i'll be making.

Back to the build, i've decided i'm gonna slowly build it up over a few months until i've got a machine that will blow any game out of the water. Not only is it gonna be a tower, it's gonna be a new monitor too. Since i play WoW mostly, i don't want to be staring at an ugly ui much longer (I did modify it today and used a widescreen res, even though i'm not using a widescreen monitor), so i'm going for a 24" widescreen or bigger! I've not finalised the details, just made a draft of everything i'm gonna "need".

ImageShack - Hosting :: rigdraft02130120080123ev8.jpg

Yes, you are seeing it right; 4Gb DDR2-6400C4, Q6600, dual 8800GTX (Gonna go SLi), 1KW PSU, Dell 24" Widescreen. I want to run everything i've always wanted to at maximum settings with fluid framerates. I did have an idea of getting a dual-socket 775 board and using 2xQ6600 to make an 8 core system, but i can't seem to find any boards that feature that.

Obviously, i won't be buying them all at the same time, won't be able to afford it. So the first things i'd go for are CPU, board, memory and coolers. Following those would be motherboard and PSU. Then the Graphics cards, and finally, the monitor. If i really wanted more, i'd add some more memory, the same as what i already have there, totalling 8Gb. Either that, or upgrade to PC2-8500+ to get the absolute best performance.

I still need to add some fans to the order above, so they'd be in the first order i'd make.

I really don't want to hold back with this new rig. Although i'll still have my job (i hope i will) by the time it comes to upgrade again, i'll have enough money to be able to afford it there and then. Still, this rig has to see me through a few years, and that means playing new releases at maximum settings (i'll use crysis as the most stressful game and use that to represent future releases).

With my current rig, many of you know i had to hold back on the components quite a bit, simply due to cost. This time around, i'm not gonna make that mistake; i'm gonna try and be patient about getting it just how i like it.

Old 13th January, 2008, 02:59 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r View Post
Yes, you are seeing it right; 4Gb DDR2-6400C4, Q6600, dual 8800GTX (Gonna go SLi), 1KW PSU, Dell 24" Widescreen. I want to run everything i've always wanted to at maximum settings with fluid framerates. I did have an idea of getting a dual-socket 775 board and using 2xQ6600 to make an 8 core system, but i can't seem to find any boards that feature that.
Mr. A+ and ITSST the q6600 is a standard desktop part and does not feature any support for multi-processor systems. If you want MP (Multi Processor) support, you are going to have to shell out for a Xeon.

EDIT - oh and I doubt that memory cooling fan gadget in your price list will fit on top of the heatpipe/heatsink arrangement those OCZ RAM modules have.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 13th January, 2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 2nd February, 2008, 02:39 PM

Ok, i've got 3 new pieces this morning;

Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
2GB Corsair Dual-Channel CAS4
Intel E2160

It's all running absolutely fine, but there's just one very slight problem; When i'm running WoW and WMP (which is what i've always done), the audio output from WMP is stuttering slightly. Are there any fixes i can install to fix this (i used the drivers from the disc and have yet to install the Chispet drivers from the Abit site)? Anything like the AMD DC optimiser i should install, but for Intel (I'm on Vista x64)?

Or do i simply need to up the CPU speed (it ran at 1.8ghz as soon as i started the computer)?

Cheers,
Scott.

Edit: Seems to be sorted. forgot that i'd set the default format in the audio drivers to max. Still need to get Wow running to test it fully but all is now perfect (well, except the memory timings being recognised as the CAS5 set, but it's nothing i'm too worried about).

Last edited by skool h8r; 2nd February, 2008 at 03:19 PM.