AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th January, 2008, 11:48 PM

Quesion about CPU Heatspreaders

I figured you guys could stand a stupid question and not make fun of me...so here goes...
I was wondering what is in between the CPU and heatspreader.
Do they use thermal paste of any kind? Or, is it just the heatspreader metal directly to the top of the CPU...

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2008, 12:08 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You mean between the actual die and the heat spreader? It is my understanding that all AMD and many older Intel processors used thermal paste. Newer Intel CPUs actually have the die soldered to the heat spreader as the final part of the manufacturing process. I <THINK> they started doing that with the Prescott cores because they were so flippin' hot, but I don't rightly recall. AMD <MAY> also be doing that with their newer CPUs as well, again I don't rightly recall.

In any case, while 'capping' a CPU (removing the heat spreader) was a favorite among overclockers in the past to get another couple of degrees, doing so with modern Intels (at least) is just about guaranteed to get you a dead CPU. Even if you should happen to be lucky enough to have your CPU survive the experience, it is unlikely to gain you anything significant in performance. Solder conducts heat quite well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2008, 10:15 PM

OK, I was just wondering how that was done. Yes, I meant between the actual core (die) & the heatspreader on top of the CPU that you mount the CPU cooler to.
And yes, solder is a good heat conductor, and no I wasn't planning on removing it...

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 7th February, 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 7th February, 2008, 10:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Basically, I've heard of two different methods; heat and cold.

Method 1 - works pretty well if you have a surface mount rework station. Since most of us don't, then next best thing is a heat gun. Generally, you put a dollop of solder on top of the heat spreader as a temp indicator. When the solder just starts to melt, you should be able to pull the heat spreader off. You have to break the seal around the edges first, though.

Method 2 - As with method one, you have to break the seal around the edges first, but the idea here is to cool the thing to a very low temp, around -10C or -15C or colder. Once it is cold, hopefully the solder will be more brittle than anything else, and you can gently pry the lid loose, fracturing the solder as you go.

Both methods tend to result in destroyed CPUs.

Last edited by Gizmo; 7th February, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 7th February, 2008, 11:06 PM
Steve Jobs

The part he didn't include was that if you do succeed you're a hero, and if you do it on a high end chip like a quad core extreme edition, you're a huge hero.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 8th February, 2008, 03:19 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

No, not a hero....

A god.

Go for it!
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North