AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st February, 2008, 08:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

8-pin ATX connector?

Hey guys,
this morning, it seems that i got paid for the week and a half of work that i've done so far. I decided it was time to start getting my new rig built up. I've ordered the following:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-124-AB
Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 "LGA775 Conroe" 1.80GHz (800FSB) - Retail
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

Now, after reading a few reviews of the board (most of them being good), i've realised that it uses a 20+4 pin atx connector, but also an 8-pin connector as well. The problem here is that the PSU i have, well, i'm not sure it has that (it does have a 4-pin which is what i use atm). Is it possible to use the 4-pin connector to power it in a similar way or do i have to wait a month and upgrade my PSU to one that does have an 8-pin connector?

Cheers,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2008, 09:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

AFAIK, that connector is there basically to provide extra power if you run an SLI configuration. As long as you aren't going to be doing that, you should be fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
AFAIK, that connector is there basically to provide extra power if you run an SLI configuration. As long as you aren't going to be doing that, you should be fine.
Well it's the ATX12V1 connector i'm "worried" about, which from the online manual:
"ATX12V1: ATX 12V 8-Pin Power Connector
This connector supplies power to CPU. The system will not start without connecting power to
this one."

It's the same as my current 4-pin (P4) cpu connection.

There is ATX4P1 on the board as well which is a standard molex connection:
"ATX4P1: Auxiliary 12V Power Connector
This connector provides an auxiliary power source for devices added on PCI Express slots."

Should i just connect the PSU's P4 to pin 1 on the ATX12V1 (EPS 8-pin 12V i presume)?

Old 1st February, 2008, 09:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

AH, that's right; I'd forgotten that. (I don't have any mobos that require it.)

Theoretically, I THINK you can plug the P4 power connector into one end of the 8-pin connector. As long as you aren't loading the PSU too hard, and you aren't plugging too much stuff directly into the mobo, you'll probably be ok. However, you COULD experience stability problems until you put in a PSU that has the proper plugging, owing to power distribution issues in the mobo.
Old 1st February, 2008, 09:58 PM

Ah ok, thanks. I'm planning on upgrading the psu to a proper on next month anyway, gonna need it when i do go SLi. I'm not gonna be loading it too much, probably not even overclocking yet.

Old 4th February, 2008, 10:34 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

From memory, that board will work if you only have a 4 pin connector. You'll have to align it with pin 1 on the board though. I don't think you can physically plug the cable in otherwise though.
Old 4th February, 2008, 11:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have also seen the 4-8 pin adapters. Kind of like the 20-24 pin adapters.