AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2008, 10:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

With HD DVD dead, Blu-ray's next threat is digital downloads

Written by Daniel
Tuesday, 19 February 2008

With HD DVD dead, Blu-ray's next threat is digital downloads

By Eric Bangeman | Published: February 19, 2008 - 08:48AM CT
Ars Technica
Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2008, 10:59 PM
AOA Staff

I don't think HD movie downloads are much of a threat right now.

A HD movie file is going to be some 20GB in size. That would be my entire monthly bandwidth ration gone on one file.

Then you'll need to store all those movies. Even a 1TB drive is going to fill up soon enough. So, you would end up burning the movies to a blu-ray disc anyhow.
Old 20th February, 2008, 02:46 AM
Steve Jobs

TBH I wish they'd just stop treating us like criminals and get over it already. Here's the thing. If you build a copy protection system, someone is going to break it. Pirates will always work around it. But, the innocent people that have in fact payed good money for their media, are prevented from creating backups, from storing it on a media player etc.

Managed Copying is supposedly going to be part of Blu-Ray at some point which /should/ let us do that if it happens, but I resent being treated like a criminal when I'm spending EXCESSIVE amounts of money on Blu-Ray discs (sometimes up to $50 for a movie, no joke).

For $50, I should be able to back it up, put it on my MythTV server, and do whatever the hell else I feel like, within the bounds of fair use.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2008, 05:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well said good sir.
Old 20th February, 2008, 06:51 PM
AOA Staff

Prices will fall, eventually, when there is a substantial second-hand market of blu-ray discs. That will push prices down.
Old 20th February, 2008, 08:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We consumers are having to deal with really stupid people here. They had the idea that they could dictate ALL the terms of our relationship and even imprison us if we disagreed...and acted outside of their dream of total control...

As greed has made them very stupid, It's just taking them a really long time to realize we the people will always have the Big F.U.

They were right! we can't live with out their movies, they were wrong, we can get our movies without them... and once we start, it's very hard to convince us we should do it any other way. They created their pirates as surely as Bush is creating Alkida in Iraq.( Who cares how we spell alkeedia!)
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 20th February, 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 20th February, 2008, 09:12 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Actually, I think Blu-Ray has a bigger threat.

With the format war over, HD viewing should get much better market penetration, however, it's taken far too long, I'm sure, if there was a single standard from the go, the HD market would be alot bigger than it is. I think, there's a chance, albeit small, that if BD doesn't get significant market penetration, it may well be leapfrogged by a next generation format. Not too unlike Laserdisc.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 20th February, 2008, 09:32 PM
AOA Staff

I would have thought that the next movie format could also be provided on Blu-ray discs, dual-layer BD would provide enough space for a higher res movie.

Of course, most current gen players, if not all, would be unable to handle the video data of any next gen HD movies.

I don't know how happy all the production companies would be about a new format. Would involve purchasing all new cameras and video production equipment, again.
Old 20th February, 2008, 10:45 PM
Steve Jobs

Would need TVs above 1080P as well to do better than Blu-Ray.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 21st February, 2008, 01:04 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
I don't know how happy all the production companies would be about a new format. Would involve purchasing all new cameras and video production equipment, again.
That'd only affect footage shot for TV, as opposed to footage shot for cinema. Cinema is already 4K.